Top Anniversary Vacation Ideas - Celebrate Your Special Date with Travel
Super-Romantic 1st, 5th, 10th or 25th Wedding Anniversary Vacation Ideas, plus Hotel & B&B Anniversary Packages for an Affordable Getaway
Romantic Vacations Home
In the Pool for our 10th Anniversary Vacation in Sunny Southern California
By Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Dec 9, 2016
Anniversaries are special. The date of your marriage is an occasion worth celebrating, and going away together seems only natural. And if you're like us, you look forward to researching and planning your annual anniversary vacation getaway, form a weekend getaway to a week or longer.
Here's a few ways to make your special day a "celebration vacation" to remember on almost any budget. We've included our top 5 romantic hotel anniversary packages, 5 big-city hotel getaways, as well as a selection of packages put together for anniversary getaways in several romantic Bed & Breakfast Inns in the U.S. and Canada.
Anniversary Vacation Ideas:
Warm Spots for Your 10th or 25th
For those special trips, like your 25th wedding anniversary, not just any old vacation to the lake will do. At the very least, save up enough for a special trip to one of the "Big 3":
- Hawaii: For a unique anniversary travel gift you’ll both remember, the north coast of Kauai has some of the most romantic beaches in Hawaii.
- California: Cozy Carmel, CA is a distance of just 120 miles from San Francisco, and has been one of our favorite spots for a romantic anniversary on the California coast.
- Florida: If you crave fine sand and sunshine, Naples would be one of the top choices for a Florida anniversary vacation on the fine beaches of the Gulf of Mexico.
5 Anniversary Hotel Getaways in Big Cities:
New York, NY:
- New York City French Quarters Guest Apartments – part of the fun of an anniversary vacation is dining out, and you’ll be celebrating your special date perfectly right on NYC’s Restaurant Row when you book into this romantic Guest House in Midtown Manhattan. Rooms and suites are elegant and nicely updated with flat-screens and Wi-Fi, and theirs a complimentary continental breakfast each morning. 2016 Rating* for Romantic NYC Guest Houses: 96% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (346 W 46 St, New York NY 212-359-6652)
- Chicago Kimpton Burnham Hotel - romance and this Kimpton kind of go together, and the Burnham is a great place to spend an anniversary weekend in Chicago. It’s got a great downtown location (Chicago Loop), lovely wine reception every evening, in-house romantic dining at the Atwood (just steps from the front lobby), and little extras like complimentary shoeshine, along with morning coffee and tea. 2016 Rating* for Romantic Downtown Chicago Hotel: 95% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (1 W. Washington St, Chicago IL 312-782-1111)
- Houston TX Anniversary Getaways at the Hotel Icon – downtown Houston is a fun place to celebrate your anniversary with stays at this beautiful Marriott boutique hotel. You can park the car because restaurants and pubs are just steps away, and you’ll also be right on the Metro Line for quick access to the downtown, the Museum District and Herman Park. Jetted tubs and walk-in showers for 2 are just some of the romantic in-room amenities available. 2016 Rating* for Luxury Hotel Getaways in Houston: 85% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (220 Main St, Houston TX 713-224-4266)
Los Angeles, CA:
- Los Angeles CA Romance Getaways at the Brentwood Inn – many high-end hotels in L.A. are expensive, but not necessarily romantic enough for your 10th or 25th anniversary trip. We think the cozy cottage-style units at the Brentwood Inn are a refreshing alternative. Boutique-styled rooms have luxury bath amenities, Wi-Fi and flat-screens. Expect a friendly welcome with complimentary cookies and free parking, and the inn is nicely placed in upscale Brentwood with good access to restaurants. 2016 Rating* for Los Angeles Boutique Inns: 93% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (12200 W. Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles CA 800-840-3808)
- Avery Hotel in Washington DC - planning a wedding anniversary in the DMV? We think the Avery hotel is a perfect destination for any anniversary trip in the nation’s capital. Guests enjoy free breakfast, plus a complimentary wine and craft beer reception each evening. We recommend the Avery King Tub Suite with relaxing soaker tub and private patio. All of this nestled in Georgetown, one of the most attractive spots for an anniversary getaway in the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area. 2016 Rating* for Washington DC Anniversary Getaway Inns: 100% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (2616 P St NW, Washington DC 202-827-4390)
Tips For an Affordable Anniversary Vacation
If you're budget is limited and you need a cheap anniversary getaway this year that you'll still look forward to, here's two anniversary vacation ideas you might try:
- Anniversary Trip Idea No.1: Choose a great city for walking, like San Francisco. Check the deals for a romantic weekend hotel package in the Bay Area, pack light, and grab a shuttle or taxi from the airport to the hotel. Forget about renting a car, doing tours or standing in line for high-priced attractions. Keep it simple and relaxing, like sleeping in, going for a long walk by the water, window shopping and enjoying a cappuccino in a downtown cafe. Inexpensive, memorable and fun!
- Anniversary Getaway Idea No.2: Plan a Arizona romantic getaway or California escape (June to August) for your summer anniversary and you'll discover deep discounts at Phoenix and Palm Springs Resorts. Of course, it can get rather hot, but that also means fewer people - you'll get the pool to yourselves, like we did! You can relax, and go for some early morning hikes, tennis or golf. Booking a kitchen unit will allow you to prepare some simple breakfasts & lunches, and save your money for a nice dinner in the evening. And cap off the night in a romantic hot tub under the stars.
Special Anniversary Vacation If You Never Had a Honeymoon:
Imagine Spending Your 10th, 20th or 25th Wedding Anniversary Vacation at a Caribbean Resort
- Book a Dream Caribbean Resort Anniversary Vacation - didn't go on a honeymoon when you got married? Then that is your official excuse then for splurging on a really special anniversary vacation. Many Caribbean resorts are super-romantic spots perfect for capturing that honeymoon feeling, no matter how long you've been married.
B&B & Lodge Anniversary Getaways
Wine & Cheese by the Delaware River
River Suite at the Bridgeton House
- Bridgeton House on the Delaware - a few nights stay along the Delaware River would most certainly be one of the Northeast's most romantic anniversary getaways. Bucks County's award-winning Bridgeton House offers it's guests luxury and relaxation. Whirlpool suites, wine & cheese by the river and cozy fireplace evenings give you an idea of what awaits at this romantic inn. What Other Couples Said: "A Perfect Surprise Anniversary on the Delaware"..."Relaxing River Views, Walk to the Private Dock"..."Friendly, Sparkling Clean, Delicious Breakfast, Bonfire at Night". 2016 Rating* for Pennsylvania Romantic Inns: 95% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (1525 River Rd, Upper Black Eddy PA 610-982-5856)
Minnesota Romantic Lodge Package:
- Gunflint Lodge Three Night Minnesota Anniversary Sweetheart Package - stay three nights in a romantic cabin with fireplace (some even have Jacuzzi tubs). Have meals in the Lakeside Dining Room, and explore the North Woods during the day, or drive into Grand Marais, MN for some serious antiquing. Appetizers and wine will be brought to your cabin each evening before dinner, gourmet breakfasts and lunches are included. Cost for this package varies depending on type of cabin and time of year, but generally ranges from $576 to $849 PER ADULT plus taxes and gratuities. (143 S. Gunflint Lake, Grand Marais, MN 800-328-3325)
Trip Ideas by Years of Marriage:
Every anniversary is special, and an opportunity to adapt traditional wedding anniversary gifts into ideas for travel!
- 1st Wedding Anniversary Vacation: Paper - some newlywed couples stick close to home the first year, paying off bills and saving for the future. A fun paper gift to add to your anniversary at-home: a gift certificate at a romantic inn.
- 5th Wedding Anniversary Getaway: Wood - for a romantic vacation in a log cabin, Forest Hills Mountain Resort have romantic cabins in Georgia perfect for an anniversary getaway.
- 10th Wedding Anniversary Holiday: Tin - Tin Wis Resort is a very romantic resort on Canada's rugged west coast in Tofino, BC
- 20th Wedding Anniversary Trip: China - after 20 years of vacations, experience a new romantic travel destination together in exotic China. (We did it after only 5 years of marriage, but we'd do it again for sure!)
- 25th Wedding Anniversary Vacation: Silver - for this special wedding anniversary, fall in love all over again in paradise at the Silver Oaks Ranch, a guest ranch with spectacular views and romantic cottages in Kona, on the Big Island of Hawaii.
- 50th Wedding Anniversary Holiday: Gold - the grand occasion of a 50th brings to mind two truly golden locations: Australia's Gold Coast (the sun-baked vacation mecca in and around Surfers Paradise, Queensland) and Florida's Gold Coast, the holiday strip between Fort Lauderdale and Miami.
Small Inns and B&B Anniversary Packages
The Inn at Bowman's Hill - from your first year together to a 50th Golden Anniversary vacation, make it a celebration to remember at New Hope, PA's Inn at Bowman's Hill, rated one of the Top 10 Bed and Breakfasts in the USA.
Pennsylvania's gorgeous Bucks County is the setting for this ultra-romantic inn, with rooms and suites offering fireplaces, 2-person whirlpool tubs and private balconies. Bowman's specializes in B&B packages for anniversaries, with extras like roses, champagne and strawberries, in-suite massages and romantic dining. (518 Lurgan Rd, New Hope, PA 215-862-8090)
- Ohio - Donna's of Berlin Anniversaries: One of Ohio's most romantic inns specializes in anniversary vacation ideas, with flowers, chocolates and a special anniversary cake, followed by a night in a luxury suite and a full breakfast the next morning.
- Minnesota - A.G. Thomson House Anniversaries: This romantic Duluth MN B&B (voted by TripAdvisor readers as the no. 1 B&B in the U.S! ) has an anniversary add-on that includes wine with 2 souvenir glasses,flowers, and a tray of their special chocolate truffles. See More of this B&B package here.
- Pennsylvania - Berry Patch Bed and Breakfast, for just $99: flowers, a bottle of wine, a cheese and cracker plate, and your bed done up with rose petals. More on this anniversary package here.
*Based on TripAdvisor.com Ratings & Reviews from Couples as of Dec 2016.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages: