Fort Myers and Fort Myers Beach are probably one of the busiest places along Florida's superb Gulf of Mexico coast, and for pretty good reason. The beaches are great, the dining is fine, and it's easy to get to with the region's largest airport right nearby.
This guide will cover the greater Fort Myers area, including Fort Myers Beach and Lovers Key.
Best Time of the Year for Fort Myers Romantic Getaways - weather here is basically excellent year-round, so the best time of year is whenever is best for you! Of course, school holidays can be busy, and December to March is high season when Northerners arrive escaping their winter, so expect somewhat higher hotel and resort rates then.
1. Visit Lovers Key State Park - located just south of Fort Myers Beach. With a name like this, you know it's gotta be a great spot for a beach picnic, searching for shells, kayaking for two, or just quietly relaxing by the gentle waves. Entry fee to this barrier island is $8 for a car and two people.
2. Knock Back Some Rooftop Cocktails - late afternoon is an excellent time to enjoy the ocean breeze with a Pina Colada at an outdoor lounge. A couple of places we suggest: in Fort Myers Beach, the very casual upstairs "Ugly's Waterside Bar" at Nervous Nellies (1131 1st St, Fort Myers Beach), or go a little more upscale at the Hotel Indigo's Skybar in downtown Fort Myers. While you're downtown...
3. Explore the River District - is home to restored buildings, cool shops, and some great pubs like the . Every first Friday night of the month is Art Walk, a fun walking tour you can take yourself browsing exhibits from 10 different galleries. And just a block or so away to the north is the scenic Fort Myers waterfront.
4. Lunch at Cabbage Key - sound familiar? This tiny island was made famous in Jimmy Buffet's "Cheeseburger in Paradise" hit. You can skip the cheeseburger if you want, but a day trip on the water taxi from Pine Island and lunch at the Cabbage Key Inn supplies a romantic slice of what tropical Florida must have felt like in the 60's and 70's.
5. Hop Over to Sanibel Island - beautiful white sand beaches and a refreshing lack of tacky developments and chain restaurants make Sanibel and Captiva Islands a great escape of quiet and relaxation on Florida's Gulf Coast. There's lots to talk about here, so that's why we have a whole page just on romantic getaways and honeymoons on Sanibel Island.
GullWing Beach Resort, Fort Myers Beach - one of the cleanest, roomiest and most romantic Florida vacation rental condo resorts we have ever been in! Our modern suite on the 8th floor (Island view) was outfitted with 2 full bathrooms, two large flat screen TVs, and a couple of nice romantic touches: a spacious screened-in balcony with views of the beach & sunsets, and a master bath with gorgeous jetted spa tub. Break out the champagne!
The GullWing has a fitness room, as well as outdoor pool and spa tub. The pool area was great (not over run with kids), and both the ocean views and access to the white sand beach (2 minute walk) were top notch. Location is tops too; close to restaurants and a Publix market.
Hotel Indigo Fort Myers Downtown River District - located in the heart of downtown Fort Myers attractive Riverfront District. This romantic boutique hotel in the IHG chain has just been renovated, and the updated rooms and suites now all boast hardwood floors, fresh colors, flat screen TV's, spa-type showers and luxury bath products.
The hotel has a restaurant, lounge and fitness studio. Don't forget to take the elevator all the way to the top here for a dip in their rooftop pool, or a happy hour cocktail and some great views of the downtown and waterfront areas of the city. Riverfront Districts dining and shops are all within short walking distance.
Fort Myers has both the restored downtown River District as well as the gorgeous Gulf of Mexico coastline with its fantastic sunsets, so romantic dining isn't too hard to find along this section of the Florida Gulf Coast. Here's the top 5 romantic dining spots in the greater Fort Myers area (as compiled from customer reviews from Yelp.com as of Feb 2015):
1. Veranda - super-fresh seafood deep in the historic downtown River District. (2122 2nd St, Fort Myers FL 239-332-2065)
2. Roadhouse Cafe - don't let the strip mall location fool you, there's great ambiance and live cabaret music in the evenings at this romantic steakhouse. (15660 San Carlos Blvd, Fort Myers FL 239-415-4375)
3. Lighthouse Waterfront Restaurant - waterfront spot with indoor & outdoor seating, good views and casual atmosphere (14301 Port Comfort Rd, Fort Myers FL 239-489-0770)
4. Cru Food & Wine - patio seating, extensive wine list, and a range of offerings that cover seafood, wild game and duck. (13499 S Cleveland Ave, Fort Myers FL 239-466-3663)
5. Blue Windows Bistro - small casual bistro that specializes in adult dining (no kids menu), French cuisine with a flair and a wonderful Profiterolles Au Chocolate for desert. (15250 S Tamiami Trl, Fort Myers FL 239-849-0622)
More on Fort Myers Romantic Getaways:
VisitFlorida.com/Ft-Myers - all sorts of travel info useful for Fort Myers romantic getaways from the Official Florida Tourism website.
*Based on TripAdvisor.com Ratings & Reviews from Couples as of Jan 2015.