Romantic Getaway in Milwaukee - Breweries, B&B's, The Riverwalk & More
Romantic Vacations Home
The Riverwalk is a Must-See Place on your Romantic Getaway in Milwaukee, WI
By Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Nov 20, 2016
It’s been called one of the USA’s best River Towns, and Milwaukee was a pleasant surprise for us during a 2-night weekend escape here recently. Enjoy this quick guide for your next romantic getaway in Milwaukee, with our top ideas on places to stay, what to do and where to eat in this City by the Lake in Southeastern Wisconsin.
7 Romantic Things to Do in Milwaukee
Our picks of some of the best things for couples to do, both downtown and around Milwaukee:
1. See Historic Third Ward & Downtown Riverwalk – our vote as one of Milwaukee’s most romantic places. THE location for a walk in the city, with plenty of lookout points, waterfront dining spots, pubs, and places to relax and people watch.
2. Stop for Lunch at The Public Market – when in the Third Ward, don’t miss The Market, one of the best of its kind in the Midwest. Our favorites were the meat and cheese vendors, wine shops, and trying out a dark Belgian bier on the rooftop patio of the Café Benelux & Market. The Market is a natural 1st stop for assembling your romantic picnic lunch for the Riverwalk. (400 N. Water St, Milwaukee, WI)
3. Tour Milwaukee Brewing Co. – hey, it’s Milwaukee right. There has to be a brewery tour somewhere. Well, make it this one. For $10 you’ll get a very interesting tour, plus a very generous sampling of several of the brews. The staff clearly enjoy being there, the beer is pretty good, and the tour holds your interest well. (613 S. 2nd St, Milwaukee, WI)
4. Take a Romantic Milwaukee River Cruise - get on board the Edelweiss for one of of Milwaukee’s most romantic boat rides. Happy hour, dinner, sunset and wine cruises can be a great part of your fun night out on the town (or on the water). They also do small, romantic weddings for those who plans include eloping in Milwaukee. (414-276-7447 or visit https://www.edelweissboats.com/)
5. Experience Splash Studio – Milwaukee’s version of a pretty cool & romantic date/evening out idea: painting and alcohol. Staffed by local artists and located deep in the Historic Third Ward, it’s the quirky alternative to stuffy bars. Best part is, you don't have to sign up for anything, just c'mon in, order a drink, sit down at the canvas and start painting! (184 N. Broadway, Milwaukee, WI)
6. Indulge at Indulgence Chocolatiers - not just your run-of-the-mill chocolate shop, but almost like a "jewelry store of chocolates". Besides offerings of some of the most delicious truffles and s'mores in the Midwest, they have some pretty cool things to try, like craft beer, wine and scotch pairings with chocolates. (211 S. 2nd St, Milwaukee, WI)
7. Find the Best Romantic Spot by the Water in Milwaukee - just looking to relax, or perhaps accomplish something a little heavier, like finding a place for an engagement/proposal? Veteran's Park (1010 N. Lincoln Memorial Dr) is close to downtown and has some excellent views of the Lake and City Skyline. If you don't need that much water, the Lake Park Waterfall is a good choice, as many couples in Milwaukee choose it as the romantic location to get married. (3233 E. Kenwood Blvd, Milwaukee WI)
Romantic Hotels in Milwaukee
|King Room at the Hampton Milwaukee Downtown
|Whirlpool Suite, Hampton Inn Milwaukee
- Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Milwaukee - we chose our 2-night stay in downtown Milwaukee at the Hampton, and really central location downtown, close to The Riverwalk. They've got an afternoon cocktail hour and suites with a whirlpool tub big enoughfor two. There's a nice breakfast (free) and lobby area downstairs, indoor heated pool, fitness room and complimentary WiFi throughout the hotel. What Other Couples Said: "Ran out of the complimentary breakfast!"..."Loved the corner suite"..."walking tour of the city started right at the front doors." 2016 Rating* for Romantic Milwaukee Hotels : 60% of Couples Rated it Excellent/Very Good. (176 W. Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 855-271-3622)
The Iron Horse Hotel
- The Pfister Hotel - when a hotel has hosted
over 6500 weddings in the past 120 years, you can bet they know a thing
or two about a romantic getaway in Milwaukee. They've been awarded "Best Wedding Night Hotel"
by Wisconsin Bride Magazine, and a night at the Pfister in the heart of downtown Milwaukee
is truly something special. What Other Couples Said: "Warm, Wonderful & Elegant"..."Wow, loved the lobby"..."B&B package for our Anniversary". 2016 Rating* for Romantic Milwaukee Hotels:94% of Couples Rate it Excellent/Very Good (424 E. Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 800-558-8222)
Romantic Touch: even if you're not staying here, try to drop by for drinks by the piano at the Pfister's Lobby Lounge, the hotel's gorgeous centrepiece and certainly one of Milwaukee’s most romantic lounges. Any night out on the town needs to spend some time here!
Iron Horse Hotel
- Iron Horse Hotel - a century-old warehouse converted into Milwaukee's most romantic boutique hotel. Themed around Harley Davidson motorcycles and the city's industrial and architectural heritage, The Iron Horse's loft-style rooms resemble upscale condos with brick and timber highlights. What Other Couples Said: "Really Cool Vibe"..."2 minute cab ride to the 3rd Ward"..."Sexy, Modern, Eclectic, Posh and Rugged all in One". 2016 Rating* for Romantic Boutique Hotels in Milwaukee: 92% of Couples Rate it Excellent/Very Good (500 West Florida St, Milwaukee, WI 888-543-4766)
More Getaways Near Milwaukee on ERV:
Romantic Getaway in Milwaukee B&B's
Schuster Mansion B&B
Manderley Bed and Breakfast
- Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast - One of West Milwaukee's most impressive mansions is now a small romantic inn. If you're in Wisconsin celebrating an anniversary or honeymoon, they have their "Premier Plan" rate which adds wine, snacks, tour of the mansion and concierge service to your stay. Romantic Touch: Don't miss their Victorian High Tea at the Mansion each afternoon from 1 PM to 3 PM. What Other Couples Said: "19th Anniversary Getaway"..."Serenity Suite has a Huge Jacuzzi"..."Fresh Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies!" 2016 Rating* for Romantic Milwaukee B&B's: 89% of Couples Rate it Excellent/Very Good (3209 West Wells St, Milwaukee, WI 414-342-3210)
- Manderley Bed & Breakfast - this Victorian brick mansion is now firmly established on the National Register of Historic Places, and as one of Milwaukee's must-stay bed and breakfasts. Romantic Touch: 2 of the suites have natural wood fireplaces, perfect for an extra-cozy romantic getaway in Milwaukee during the winter. What Other Couples Said: "Amazing Pancakes, Down to Earth Hosts"..."Enjoyed the Jacuzzi Bath & Fireplace"..."Antiques, Period Furniture, Stained Glass Art." 2016 Rating* for Romantic Milwaukee B&B's: 95% of Couples Rate it Excellent/Very Good (3026 West Wells St, Milwaukee, WI 414-459-1886)
Milwaukee Romantic Getaway Packages
- Hotel Metro Milwaukee Romantic Packages - several to choose from, including weekend, bed and breakfast and the romantic "Just the Two of Us" package with valet parking, champagne and dining gift card.
5 of Milwaukee's Most Romantic Dining Spots:
- Bartolotta’s Lake Park Bistro - Romantic views of the Lake (3133 East Newberry Boulevard, Milwaukee, WI 414-962-6300)
- Buckley’s Restaurant & Bar - Irish charm and a nice intimate setting (801 N. Cass St, Milwaukee, WI 414-277-1111)
- Harbor House - Lakefront seafood with city skyline views (550 N. Harbor Dr, Milwaukee, WI 414-395-4900)
- La Merenda - Tasty tapas in historic Walker's Point (125 E. National Ave, Milwaukee, WI 414-389-0125)
- Centro Café - Cozy, affordable and romantic Italian restaurant (808 E. Center St, Milwaukee, WI 414-455-3751, no reservations taken, opens at 5 PM so arrive early)
More Romantic Milwaukee Ideas:
*Based on Tripadvisor.com Ratings & Reviews from Couples as of Nov 2016.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages