Sweden's Most Romantic Getaways
Romantic Vacations Home
Exotic Romantic Vacations
Exploring Gamla Stan in the Center of Stockholm is a Must-See on any Romantic Getaway in Sweden
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Posted: Sep 22, 2018
FTC: This ERV page uses affiliate links. More.
Planning a romantic getaway or honeymoon in Scandinavia? Don't miss Sweden,
There's Stockholm, with it's gorgeous Old City, harbor, and museums, and a choice of other destinations like Gothenburg, Malmo and Kalmar.
Best Time to Visit Sweden: Winters are long and dark and cold (great for Northern Lights Viewing!), so the short but sunny summers here (June to September) are the best time for a romantic getaway. Even in summer, evenings can be quite cool, so plan & dress accordingly.
Romantic Getaways in Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm is considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It's the hub for air travel in the country, and a romantic spot to start your Swedish vacation...
View of Stockholm From Hilton Slussen
Hilton Slussen Executive Lounge Breakfast
- Romantic Stockholm Hotel: Hilton Slussen - this Hilton enjoys a great waterfront location, and is close to the old city, shops, restaurants and transportation. We loved the breakfast buffet and evening
wine reception at the Executive Lounge, and the views of the City and Gamla Stan are outstanding. What Other Couples Liked: Metro Station only 150m away...Walk to Gamla Stan...Spacious Rooms, Classic Swedish Style. 2018 ERV Rating* for Romantic Stockholm Hotels: 80% - Very Good. (Guldgränd 8, Stockholm Sweden 46-8-51735300)
Stockholm: What to See & Do - Gamla Stan
Stortorget, Gamla Stan
By the Water in Sunny Stockholm
- Gamla Stan - Meaning “Old Town”, this is medieval Stockholm’s birthplace. It’s full of cobbled streets and alleyways waiting to be explored, as well as museums and unique shops. Time your exploration in order to watch the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace.
Stockholm by Boat
- Stockholm Hop-on, Hop-off Boat Cruise - beautiful Stockholm is even more gorgeous when seen from the waters around it's attractive harbour. You can board at any one of seven stops, and it's great way to see all the attractions and learn more about the city and its history. We were truly impressed by the panoramic views of Stockholm’s shoreline.
The ABBA Museum
Entrance Sign to the ABBA Museum
Bjorn, Agnetha, Anni-Frid & Benny
- ABBA The Museum - if you're fans of the Swedish fab-four like we are, this interactive museum showcasing the band’s collective work is a must-see. You get to sing and dance along with Bjorn, Benny, Agnetha and Anni-Frid and follow the highlights of their careers and personal lives. Mamma Mia! (Djurgårdsvägen 68, 115 21 Stockholm)
Cafe's, canals, and shops are just a few reasons you might want to include underrated Gothenburg on your Sweden itinerary. Trams rattle pass the city's impressive architecture, and there's plenty of thrills nearby at Liseborg Amusement Park.
Checking out a Scenic View of Downtown Gothenburg, Sweden from Skansen Kronan
- Haga Walking District - Haga is one of the oldest
areas of Gothenburg. The pedestrian-only cobbled streets are full of unique and
independent shops and cafes. Be sure to try “fika,” which is coffee and some
local baking after a bit of shopping. (Haga Nygata, Gothenburg 31135)
- Skansen Kronan - From Haga District, climb the steep stairs up
the hill called Skansberget with Skansen Kronan (a 17th-century fortification)
on top. From here you can get scenic panoramic views of Haga District and the city. (Skansberget, Gothenburg 402 33)
Romantic Gothenburg Waterfront Hotel
Best Western Plus Gothenburg Waterfront Hotel
Romantic Accommodation in Gothenburg
- Best Western Plus Gothenburg Waterfront Hotel - this former brewery has been repurposed into a comfortable and unique hotel. It’s located right on the Göta älv River at the harbor entrance to Gothenburg. Rent a couple of bikes (free at the front desk) and explore the area. Great views of the bridge, harbor and skyline as well. We thought the complementary hot breakfast was top notch too. What Other Couples Liked: Beautiful Views & Nice Walks Along the Harbor...Sauna, Spa & Steam Room...Modern, Spacious Rooms. 2018 ERV Rating* for Gothenburg Sweden Romantic Hotels: 90% - Excellent. (414 51 Göteborg, Sweden +46 0 31-720 22 00)
Malmo in Southern Sweden makes a fine weekend getaway, no matter if you're already in Sweden or on a romantic vacation in Copenhagen and looking for an interesting day trip or short excursion.
Photobombed by the Twisted Torso in Malmo
Quality Hotel View, Malmo Sweden
- Quality Hotel View Malmo - a modern, clean hotel close to a train station and shopping mall. Convenient for taking the train across the border to Copenhagen (don't forget your Passport!) or to other sites in Malmo. Breakfast buffet and Wi-Fi included. What Other Couples Liked: Delicious Breakfast Buffet with Lots of Choices...Private Parking Garage...Modern, Spacious Rooms with Excellent Views. 2018 ERV Rating* for Gothenburg Sweden Romantic Hotels: 90% - Excellent. (Hyllie Stationstorg 29215 32 Malmo, Sweden +46-40-37-41-00)
- Turning Torso Building - take a look at the skyscraper
that seems to be twisting as it rises from the ground. With 54 storeys of
residential and commercial suites, it’s one of a kind (Lilla Varvsgatan 14, 211 15 Malmö). Fine ocean views are just a few steps away at Daniaparken (Barometergatan 72, 211 17 Malmö), and then you can grab a sidewalk table at Noll 1 Restraurant (Lilla Varvsg, 4 211 17 Malmö), a relaxing spot for a pizza and a beer.
- Kungsparken - this park has existed since
1872 and makes for a tranquil walk or bike ride. You’ll find stately old trees,
canals, lush flower gardens, and a small lake. There’s also a large cast iron
fountain, and windmill that make for good photo ops. A bit of serene
countryside in the center of a city. (Slottsgatan 33, 211 33 Malmö)
Kalmar is a beautiful port city in the southeast of Sweden. It’s on the Baltic Sea and has great beaches and hiking trails. It’s also known for its historic buildings and fortifications dating from the 17th century.
Majestic Kalmar Castle
Room at the Clarion Hotel in Kalmar
- Clarion Hotel Packhuset - a romantic Kalmar hotel set in a wonderful waterfront location, with free buffet dinner and breakfast served daily. What Other Couples Liked: Marina View Rooms...Buffet Breakfast on the Outdoor Terrace...Walk to Downtown, Kalmar Castle. 2018 ERV Rating* for Romantic Stockholm Hotels: 82% - Very Good. (Skeppsbrogatan 2639231, Kalmar +46 480 570 00)
Things to Do in & Around Kalmar
- Kalmar Castle - what started as a
medieval fortification has a very dramatic history, and was redesigned in the
16th century into a Renaissance palace. Period costumes, sweeping views, and exhibits
make for a great experience, and guided tours give a great overview of what went on there. (Kungsgatan 1, 392 33 Kalmar)
- Explore Old Town - right next to
Kalmar Castle lies the old town of Kalmar. Walk around the well-preserved 17th
and 18th century buildings and get a feel for the culture and
history of that time.
- Kalmar County Museum - featuring local art, exhibits on culture and history. One of the biggest and most popular
exhibits is the warship Kronan, (third floor) which exploded and sank nearby in 1676.
Reconstructions explain what life at sea was like at in the 17th
century. (Skeppsbrogatan 51, Angkvarnen Kalmar 391 21)
- Olandsbron - this is a 20,000 ft-long toll-free
bridge connecting Kalmar to the Island of Oland. Supported by 156 pillars,
the bridge makes for some amazing views as you drive across, especially if you
can time it for sunset.
Sweden's Romantic Northern Lights
Viewing the Northern Lights in Sweden
Cabin at Abisko Mountain Station
- STF Abisko Mountain Station - the best place in Sweden (and some say in the whole world!) to see the Northern Lights is at the Aurora Sky Station in the Swedish Arctic Circle (accessible via flights to Kiruna, Sweden, about 95 km away). In the nearby village of Abisko, you'll find the Abisko Mountain Station, a good choice for basic but romantic Swedish northern lights lodging. What Other Couples Liked: On-site restaurant...No Light Pollution & Amazing Northern Lights Viewing...Choice of Hotel or Cabin Accommodation. 2018 ERV Rating* for Sweden Northern Lights Lodging: 70% - Good. (Abisko Turist Station 2, 981 07 Abisko, Sweden 46-98040200)
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific rating formula for romantic hotels which includes:
- Romantic Amenities: suites with an in-room Whirlpool bath or JACUZZI® Tub, scenic view, fireplace, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families with kids, business travelers, etc)
with Couples & Honeymooners: based on variety of social media & crowd-sourced reviews.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages