Top 10 Romantic Hotels in San Francisco for a Great Getaway or Honeymoon
Romantic Vacations Home
Room at the Ritz Carlton, No.5 on our List of Top 10 Romantic Hotels in San Francisco
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Sep 22, 2017
Here's our choices for the best San Francisco romantic hotels. The most romantic places to stay in the City By the Bay each have an atmosphere and experience all their own. A big part of your romantic vacation is where you stay! This listing is not scientific at all, but was based on our unique formula* for hotel ratings. Have a great time in the Bay area...
The Top 10 Romantic Hotels in San Francisco:
Suite at the Hotel Drisco
View of San Francisco from Loews Regency Hotel
- 1. Hotel Drisco – a real Pacific Heights beauty. Elegant setting with nice views of the Bay and the city skyline. Close to the wharf and Union Square. Nice little extras like plush robe & slippers, evening wine social, and continental breakfast included. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic San Francisco Hotels: 96% - Excellent (2901 Pacific Avenue, San Francisco, CA 800-634-7277).
- 2. Loews Regency San Francisco – right in the heart of the city, and San Francisco's 3rd tallest building, so the panoramic views of the city and Bay are some of the best you'll find anywhere. Rooms feature Egyptian cotton sheets, minibar, binoculars (did we mention the view?), and twice-daily maid service. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic San Francisco Hotels: 95% - Excellent (222 Sansome Street, San Francisco, CA 800-622-0404).
- 3. The Scarlet Huntington – a family-owned property atop Nob Hill. The spacious rooms hearken back to it’s days as a luxury apartment house, and the hotel has a beautiful spa. The California Street Cable car makes it’s way past the front door, a fitting reminder of the Huntington’s stately past. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic San Francisco Hotels: 88% - Very Good (1075 California Street, San Francisco, CA 800-227-4683).
Scenic Views from the Fairmont San Francisco
European Decor at the Petite Auberge
- 4. The Marker San Francisco – an eclectic boutique hotel with Whirlpool tubs, luxury bath amenities, turn-down service, evening wine reception, on-site romantic dining and more. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic San Francisco Hotels: 85% - Very Good (501 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 866- 622-5284).
- 5. The Ritz-Carlton – not just a place to stay, but a destination in itself! A landmark San Francisco inn, and certainly one of the most luxurious places to stay in Northern California. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic San Francisco Hotels: 88% - Very Good (600 Stockton Street at California Street, San Francisco, CA 800-241-3333).
- 6. Fairmont San Francisco - marble baths, vaulted ceilings and extra-long mattress are a few of the amenities in this fully restored classic. Contemporary King Tower Building Rooms have great views of the city. Romantic Rendezvous Packages available. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic San Francisco Hotels: 85% - Very Good (950 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 866-540-4491).
- 7. Petite Auberge - add a touch of French flair to your romantic getaway in San Francisco. It will definitely feel European, as the rooms are on the smaller side, and many couples report that the best rooms are on the quieter top floor. Lots of free amenities make it an excellent value: buffet breakfast, afternoon cookies, evening wine and appetizers, tea & coffee and newspaper. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic San Francisco Hotels: 87% - Very Good (863 Bush St, San Francisco, CA 800-365-3004).
- 8. St. Regis San Francisco - pure downtown luxury (as you can tell by the cost!), with sparkling views of the city from many rooms. Spacious suites are ideal for honeymoons or an anniversary splurge, and the hotel offers the full resort experience with a spa, fitness center and heated lap pool. The stellar staff get high marks, and couples staying at the St. Regis can collect SPG member points. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic San Francisco Hotels: 87% - Very Good (125 3rd St, San Francisco, CA 415-284-4000).
- 9. Four Seasons San Francisco - when you check into a Four Seasons, you expect the best, and their San Francisco property delivers. Rooms here have floor-to-ceiling windows facing the city, with deep soaker tubs and marble bathrooms. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic San Francisco Hotels: 85% - Very Good (125 3rd St, San Francisco, CA 415-284-4000).
- 10. Hotel Vitale - if you like views, you'll love the Vitale. Their panoramic suites serve up 180 degree views of the city and harbor, including the Golden Gate Bridge. You can get really comfortable here - they've got amenities like a rooftop spa with soaking tubs and a "pillow library". Another plus is the location, right across the street from the Ferry Building Marketplace, an epicenter of gourmet food. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic San Francisco Hotels: 85% - Very Good (8 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 415-278-3700) .
*ERV Rating for Couples: our unique, non-scientific rating formula for romantic hotels which includes:
- Romantic Amenities: such as an in-suite JACUZZI® tub or Whirlpool bath, scenic view, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families with kids, business travelers, etc)
with Couples & Honeymooners: based on variety of social media & crowd-sourced reviews.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages