Romantic Indiana Getaway Ideas & Spots (for Locals & Non-Hoosiers)
FTC: This page uses affiliate links. More.
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Jun 17, 2023
Relaxing Indiana has all the essentials for a great 2021 romantic vacation in the Mid-West! The Hoosier State is blessed with peaceful outdoors, interesting restaurants, culture, architecture, and a small but sandy slice of the Lake Michigan waterfront.
Indiana's Great Lake Shore is a Fine Place for a Romantic Getaway
And, there's a good choice of hotels, B&B’s and cabins that can make any getaway something special.
Best Time of Year to Visit Indiana - late spring to mid-autumn, usually anytime between May to October, is an fine time to visit Indiana.
Indianapolis Romantic Places to Stay
residence inn downtown on the canal
Residence Inn Downtown by the Canal
King Room at the Residence Inn
- Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal - Watch the paddle boats drift by as you relax in this Marriott hotel, the only one located right on the romantic Indianapolis Canal. Spacious rooms have city or canal views, and there's an indoor pool and hot tub as well. Mornings start with a hot buffet breakfast, and on 3 nights each week, they serve a complimentary wine reception and light meal. 2023 ERV Rating* for Romantic Indianapolis Hotels: 76% - Good. (350 W. New York St, Indianapolis IN 317-822-0840)
romantic indianapolis B&B
- Nestle Inn Romantic Indianapolis B&B - If you prefer your B&B's to be more hip than historical, you're going to love the Nestle Inn. It's in a great location within walking distance of downtown Indianapolis, and they are completely up-to-date-with fast Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV's and a great self check-in and check-out service (it's about time B&B's had these!) Romantic touches include his n' her robes, couples cooking classes, and the inn's very own Indianapolis elopement ceremony in the Library or Lobby Parlor. The included breakfast on weekdays takes place right next door at Henry's Coffee Bistro, and on weekends is served inside the inn. 2023 ERV Rating* for Romantic Indianapolis B&B's: 96% - Excellent. (637 North East St, Indianapolis IN 317-610-5200)
- Ironworks Hotel Indy - Located a 20-minute drive north of downtown Indianapolis near the Keystone Fashion Mall, and just minutes from the attractive village of Broad Ripple. Inside, you'll find the rooms are outfitted with 60-inch HDTV's, luxury bedding and Keurig coffee machines. Amenities also include a fitness center and on-site dining with a large outdoor patio. 2023 ERV Rating* for Romantic Indianapolis B&B's: 96% - Excellent. (637 North East St, Indianapolis IN 317-610-5200)
Indianapolis for Couples
Map Guide to the Walk
Couple on the Indianapolis Canal Walk
- Indianapolis Canal Walk - A natural choice for a romantic stroll in downtown Indianapolis is the Central Canal from White River State Park to 11 St. It's a very enjoyable 3-mile loop, and there's a couple of canal-side cafes/eateries that look like fun spots to stop for a break.
Autumn Morning at White River State Park
Eclectic Shops & Eateries at Broad Ripple Village
- Broad Ripple Village - Another cultural beacon of Indianapolis (David Letterman went to high school here!), and full of good places to eat, shop, and engage in a "mini pub-crawl" in the evening.
- Mass Ave - Live music, fine wine, arts, culture and theatre. If you think Indiana is only rural, come and investigate this lively and vibrant section of the Indianapolis Cultural District.
Pedal Boats are a fun Way to Explore the Indianapolis Canal
- Pedal Boat Rentals - At 439 West Ohio St, Wheel Fun Rentals (317-363-9353) will have you all set up in a pedal boat for 2.
- Old World Gondoliers - From May to September each year, it's your chance to ride the Canal in a romantic Gondola (sorry, you might have to share the boat with a few others, but it's still a fun time). Reservations in advance required; call 317-340-2489. Gondola departs from 340 West Michigan St. in Indianapolis. FYI, they do proposals and weddings as well in case an Indianapolis elopement is in your plans.
Indiana Getaways - More Romantic Places
visitindiana.com - summer getaways video
fort wayne: bradley hotel
Luxury Room at the Bradley, Fort Wayne
- The Bradley - Fort Wayne's most romantic hotel offers premium bedding and linens, bike rentals, on-site romantic Italian dining, and a delightful rooftop bar just right for sipping a cocktail and soaking up the views. 2023 ERV Rating* for Romantic Fort Wayne, IN Hotels: 96% - Excellent. (204 West Main St, Fort Wayne IN 260-205-5093)
- Fort Wayne, IN - Attractive Fort Wayne is one of the nicest small cities in the USA! Romantic things to do in Fort Wayne include spending some time on the banks of the lovely Maumee River (nice scenic drives and walks), enjoying a picnic in Headwaters Park, or checking out the unique collection of downtown museums, shops and restaurants. If you love chocolate, a tour of De Brands Fine Chocolates in Ft. Wayne is a must.
indiana dunes: romantic whirlpool suite
Romantic B&B Hot Tub Suite Just 12 Miles from Indiana Dunes National Park
- At Home in the Woods B&B - Check out some romantic Indiana Dunes accommodation in theme rooms with Whirlpool tubs, fireplace and steam showers. 2023 ERV Rating* for Indiana Dunes Romantic Inns: 96% - Excellent. (898 N. County Road 350 East, Chesterton IN 219-728-1325)
- Indiana Dunes - Sand and water lovers know that Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore in Northern Indiana is home to some excellent beaches. The views from nearby Mt. Baldy get our vote as one of most romantic spots in Indiana.
- Michigan City – Along Lake Michigan, this romantic place is nice for a stroll along the beach (see our picture at the top of the page), with a nice view of the lighthouse.
- Noblesville, IN - Just 30 minutes drive northeast of downtown Indianapolis, see the shops and architecture of the almost 200-year old downtown. Near Noblesville Square, grab a coffee at Noble Coffee & Tea. For dinner, if it's your first time in Noblesville, we suggest not missing Matteo's Ristotante Italiano. (40 N 9th St, Noblesville 317-774-9771)
- Nashville, IN - If you embark on your romantic Indiana getaway in the fall, Brown County State Park is one of the must-see scenic drives in Indiana. The leaves put on their best show usually in October, when the autumn foliage is at it’s fiery best.
Bloomington: The graduate
The Graduate Boutique Hotel, Bloomington
Luxury Suite at the Graduate
- The Graduate - Top rated on TripAdvisor, this Kirkwood Ave boutique hotel is the perfect spot for your honeymoon or anniversary getaway in Bloomington. Rooms are nicely outfitted with luxury bedding & bath amenities, and the hotel is positioned perfect downtown location, just steps from all the bookstores and cafes of The Square. Be sure as well to make your way up to their rooftop terrace for some fine views. 2023 ERV Rating*: 94% - Excellent. (210 East Kirkwood Ave, Bloomington IN 812-994-0500)
- Bloomington, IN - John Mellencamp's home town is not only home to his art (which can be found at Antiquated Fine Arts, 350 South Walnut St), but it's also got a fascinating range of over 100 ethnic places to eat. For one that's romantic too, Bella Cucina (9332 Ensign Ave.S 952-941-3614) is a quaint little Italian eatery with soft music to accompany the tasty pasta and fish dishes.
- Huntingburg, IN - The 4th St Shopping District is filled with history, one-of-a-kind local shops, and some interesting places to eat.
- Spirit of Jasper Romantic Train Trips - Your choice of excursions in Southwestern Indiana: an all-day trip to French Lick, IN or the shorter but popular "Ride and Dine" dinner excursion (2.5 hrs).
- Madison, IN - This attractive spot in Southeastern Indiana alongside the Kentucky River (and just across the state line) can fill up your weekend nicely: explore Clifty Falls State Park, visit some local wineries, or take a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride through the historic downtown (Elegant Carriages, call 937-903-5156 for more info).
A Horse-Drawn Carriage Ride in Historic Downtown Madison, Indiana
Scenic Drives in Indiana - In Parke County, just north of Terre Haute, IN, take a romantic drive through western Indiana where scenic landscapes and covered bridges await. Make some time to explore the winery and historic downtown of Rockville, IN too.
More Romantic Indiana Hotels & Inns
french lick springs hotel
Gorgeous Pool at the French Lick Resort
- French Lick Springs Hotel - With its indoor and outdoor pools and hot tub, shops and mineral bath spa, this unique and historic resort is a favorite getaway in Indiana. 2023 ERV Rating*: 88% - Very Good. (8670 West State Road 56, French Lick IN 888-936-9360)
- That Pretty Place - A romantic B&B perfect for honeymoons or anniversaries in Northern Indiana Amish Country. Enjoying a peaceful and secluded spot in the small town of Middlebury, Indiana, their honeymoon suite provides what many newlyweds want: a heart-shaped Whirlpool tub! (212 U.S. 220, Middlebury IN 574-825-3021)
- Cornerstone Inn - This Brown County romantic inn has rooms with sky-lit Whirlpool tubs. (54 East Franklin St, Nashville IN 888-383-0300)
Romantic French Lick, INdiana Cabins & Cottages
French Lick, Indiana is a Great Spot for a Cabin or Cottage Stay
- French Lick, IN Romantic Cabins and Cottages - Check out a great selection of both luxury and affordable romantic Cabins in beautiful French Lick, Indiana. Many include suites outfitted with full kitchens, stone fireplace, Wi-Fi, outside fire pit, and even jetted spa tubs.
Indiana Romance Travel Packages
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific ratings for romantic accommodation include:
- Amenities: including Whirlpool bath or JACUZZI® Tub, scenic view, fireplace, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families, business travelers, etc)
- Popularity: based on social media & crowd-sourced reviews
- Value: product offered compared to room rate
- Please Note: percentage ratings are not absolute but for comparative use only
top hotels, getaways & packages on ERV