This page of weekend getaways in British Columbia features Kelowna and Penticton. For beaches, wine tasting and scenery, consider the Okanagan. It's the perfect spot for a romantic getaway in Western Canada!
The Best Time for Romantic BC Getaways: From June to September, the sun shines, the water's warm, and the orchards are bursting with fruit.
Summer getaways in BC interior are also the best time to explore fun little Okanagan communities, usually surrounded by a handful of small, friendly wineries anxious to have you sample the best of their vineyards...
1. Okanagan Winery Tours - the number of wineries in Kelowna & the Okanagan valley has grown by leaps and bounds in recent years. One experience that really stood out was the tasting and bistro lunch we enjoyed at the Summerhill Winery in Kelowna. We found a very nice bottle of Gewurztraminer, and a fantastic lunch on the patio with a million-dollar view of Lake Okanagan!
Okanagan wineries also take part in several wine festivals throughout the seasons which showcase wine tasting, culinary displays and live performances of music and theatre.
2. Sun & Fun at the Best Okanagan Beaches - there's a good supply of sandy and relaxing waterfront areas in the Okanagan. A couple of Okanagan beaches we really enjoyed were Skaha Lake in Penticton and Gyro Park in Kelowna.
3. Tube Down the Penticton River Channel - this was Maureen's idea, and it was awesome. You can rent an inner tube and peacefully float down the river one way, and a bus picks you up for the return home. (215 Riverside Drive, Penticton, BC)
4. Kettle Valley Steam Railway - board the historic steam train for a beautiful ride and views of the Okanagan mountains, lakes, valleys and vineyards. They also combine the rail tour with wine tastings! (18404 Bathville Rd, Summerland, BC)
5. Scenic Drives - south of Oliver, BC, highway 97 winds through a glorious region of fruit trees, vineyards and valleys. The Similkameen Valley is especially scenic, and you can easily loop back to Penticton through Keremeos, BC.
Other fun things to do on romantic BC getaways: water slides, mini-golf, and all kinds of water activities like boating, water skiing, and para sailing.
The Delta Grand Okanagan Resort - a luxury Okanagan resort with honeymoon and wine packages, on-site spa and Caribbean-themed casino. We booked a 3-night weekend getaway at this romantic resort in August, and it was the perfect place to enjoy the summer heat of BC's interior.
Our suite was one of the ModeDeluxe rooms, with a King bed, jetted tub and spacious living area. The resort has a large outdoor pool, hot tub and Cabana Bar serving drinks. Just beyond the resort is the beautiful Waterfront Park with scenic views and a walkway along the shore of Okanagan Lake.
Ramada Penticton Hotel & Suites - we can easily recommend this Ramada as an affordable and romantic resort in the Okanagan for any getaway or honeymoon. The King Bed Hot Tub Suites are the ones you want here, with fireplace and 2-person in-room Jacuzzi tubs. The pool area is spacious, and in the heat of summer, soaking up the sun poolside with a cocktail in your hand, you'll feel like you're in an all-inclusive in Hawaii or Mexico!
Also right on the water is the Eldorado Kelowna with it's private lakefront boardwalk, in-room spa service, specialty wine and liquor store and 2 different romance packages.
Osoyoos - Only 5 minutes from the Canada/USA border, this desert-like town is the place for hot & sunny romantic getaways in British Columbia. The Spirit Ridge Vineyard Resort & Spa is a new hotel with spacious "vineyard villas" and "desert suites". They've put together a Romantic Getaways in Osoyoos package, and are just steps away from golf and a winery. A pool, full spa, dining room and roof top terrace are now open.
Planning a romantic getaway or honeymoon in Kelowna, Penticton or another part of the Okanagan? Here's
The Hopeless Romantic BC Getaways & Romance Packages - for 2012, there's no less than 6 different romantic packages to choose from at this Kelowna B&B! Custom made for anniversary vacations, honeymoons and weekend getaways to the BC Interior, and priced as inexpensive add-ons from $99 to $149.
Kelowna BC Honeymoon Packages - A Vista Villa in Kelowna can make your wedding, anniversary or elopement in BC something special. Check into one of their in-room Jacuzzi® Suites, and enjoy evenings from their panoramic lake- view dining terrace.
The Vista Villa can also set you up with a 5-night romantic BC honeymoon package that's almost "all-inclusive" with breakfast & dinner daily, wine, tours & more.
There are direct flights to Kelowna from Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto, Ontario (as well as from a few smaller centers in Western Canada). Penticton has scheduled flights from Vancouver only.
You can fly to the Okanagan on Air Canada and WestJet - they both have cheap flights to Kelowna from Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.
You can also drive to the Okanagan, as Kelowna is at the crossroads of several major highways. Here are some driving times and distances from several different cities:
*Based on Tripadvisor.com Ratings & Reviews from Couples as of June 2013.