North Carolina Romantic Getaways - Romantic Hotels & Inns, Cabins and Couples Activities
FTC: This ERV page uses affiliate links. More.
Romantic Vacations Home
Beaches, Cities and the Romantic Blue Ridge Mountains Make North Carolina a Great Couples Getaway
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Dec 15, 2019
North Carolina easily has one of the East Coast's best mix of beaches, mountains, history and scenic drives. It's a fine spot for your next romantic weekend or vacation.
In this 2020 guide, we zero in on the romantic “Triangle Trio” of Raleigh, Chapel
Hill and Durham, as well as other romance destinations like Asheville in the Blue Ridge Mountains, The Outer Banks, Charlotte and Winston-Salem.
Best Time for North Carolina Romantic Getaways: Generally, Spring and Autumn are the 2 best seasons for romantic travel to NC. Late April to mid-May is especially good for seeing the spring flowers but avoiding Spring Break. If you'll be here in the summer, the Outer Banks with the sea breeze will be more comfortable than the hot and humid inland areas.
Asheville NC Romantic Hotels & Inns
Soaker Tub at the Grand Bohemian Asheville
Romantic Asheville NC B&B - Abbington Green
- Grand Bohemian
Hotel Asheville - super-romantic boutique hotel located in the hear of Asheville, and ideal for a honeymoon or special celebration in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Rooms strike a perfect balance of rustic charm and luxury, and on-site you'll find romantic dining, a spa, and even their own art gallery! 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic Asheville, North Carolina Hotels: 86% - Very Good. (11 Boston Way, Asheville NC 828-505-2949)
- Inn On Biltmore Estate - renowned & romantic country inn, with gorgeous views of the NC mountains. The Library Lounge and Chef's Breakfast Buffet get high marks, and there's a heated outdoor pool, live piano and jazz music, and free self-parking along with no resort fees. 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic North Carolina Country Inns: 96% - Excellent. (1 Antler Hill Rd, Asheville NC 866-336-1245)
- Abbington Green B&B Inn - this delightful bed and breakfast will easily win you over with it's tastefully-themed suites, gorgeous gardens and breakfasts guest describe as "simply marvelous". 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic North Carolina B&B's: 98% - Excellent. (46-48 Cumberland Circle, Asheville NC 800-251-2454)
Romantic Places & Activities in Ashville, NC
1. Asheville Food Tours - visit up to seven downtown restaurants to experience Asheville’s culinary scene in this is a 3-1/2 hour guided walking tour.
2. Gray Line Trolley Tours - hop on for a narrated exploration of historic Asheville, and hop off for the shops, museums, galleries and restaurants.
3. Wake Foot Sanctuary and Spa - located in the Grove Shopping Arcade in downtown Asheville, treat your feet or get a massage.
4. Addison Farms Vineyard - family-owned vineyard with fantastic views just 17 miles NW of Asheville in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Romantic Cabins & Vacation Rentals in North Carolina
Luxury Blue Ridge Cabin with Jetted Tub
- Blue Ridge Mountains Luxury Cabin with Whirlpool Tub - imagine a honeymoon or anniversary getaway luxury cabin in NC's Blue Ridge Mountains, with not only a jetted tub inside, but a hot tub for 2 on your own private deck with breathtaking mountain views! (Ferguson, North Carolina)
Hot Tub Cabin Near Asheville, NC
- Asheville North Carolina Hot Tub Cabins - fine selection of rustic log cabin getaways close to Asheville, with amenities like fireplaces, outdoor barbecues, full kitchens, flat-screen TV's, and private decks with hot tubs for 2.
Romantic Maggie Valley NC Vacation Rental
Scenic Views of the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Maggie Valley Rustic Retreat - imagine the ideal weekend escape 5000 ft up in the North Carolina Mountains! This fabulous 2-bedroom vacation rental comes with satellite TV, a fireplace, hot tub, private outdoor pool, and panoramic views of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
more Hot Tub Getaways in North Carolina:
Raleigh-Durham NC Romantic Hotels
Romantic Whirlpool Suite, Hampton Inn Raleigh
Relaxing Lounge at the Marriott Crabtree Valley
- Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh/Cary - one of the top-rated hotels in the Raleigh-Durham area, with free hot breakfast, pool and fitness area, and spacious, comfortable rooms, including their honeymoon-ready King Whirlpool Suites. 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic Raleigh-Durham NC Hotels: 96% - Excellent. (111 Hampton Woods Lane, Raleigh NC 919-233-1798)
- Raleigh Marriott Crabtree Valley - extensive list of amenities at this Marriott, including an on-site cocktail lounge, Southern fusion dining, rooms with plush bedding and 47-inch flat screens TV's, Netflix, and an outdoor terrace & fire pit. 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic Raleigh-Durham Hotels: 80% - Very Good. (4500 Marriott Dr, Raleigh NC 919-781-7000)
Things for Couples to Do in Raleigh-Durham NC:
1. Escazu Artisan Chocolates - discover sourced cacao from small farms, roast, grind and craft it into beautiful truffles, bars, ice cream, and more. Grab a coffee and indulge together.
2. Dinner at Second Empire - An elegant and historical Victorian home built in 1879 serving gourmet food.
3. Raleigh Rickshaw Company - tour downtown on special one-hour Anniversary and Romantic Rides that will take you through historic neighbourhoods or the Capital grounds.
4. Explore Raleigh - Person Street, historic Oakwood district, and Little Theatre Rose Garden.
1. Sarah P. Duke Gardens - landscaped and wooded with Japanese-style arched bridge, pond viewing shelter, and lunch or drinks at the Terrace Café.
2. Taste Carolina Gourmet Food Tours - afternoon & evening walking/tasting tours, plus 1-hour cocktail classes on Monday nights.
3. Tour the Durham Distillery - see them make their award-winning gin, and visit their tasting room for chocolate, coffee or mocha liqueur.
Chapel Hill NC Romantic Hotels
Carolina Inn, Chapel Hill NC
Romantic Chapel Hill NC Hotel - The Siena
- The Siena Hotel - part of Marriott's Autograph Hotel Collection, and one of the most attractive boutique hotels in North Carolina. Rooms and suites are honeymoon-ready with French Doors and Juliet Balconies, marble baths, and there's an on-site 4-diamond Italian restaurant. 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic Chapel Hill NC Hotels: 92% - Excellent. (1505 E. Franklin St, Chapel Hill NC 919-929-4000).
- The Carolina Inn - beautiful and romantic hotel located on the UNC campus, with everything for a great weekend getaway. Rooms mix contemporary design with Southern touches, and amenities include luxurious bedding, bathrobes and a nightly turn down service. 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic Chapel Hill NC Inns: 94% - Excellent. (211 Pittsboro St, Chapel Hill NC 919-933-2001).
Romantic Things to Do in Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1. Historic Franklin Street - explore by foot and spend some time at the Visitor’s Center.
2. North Carolina
Botanical Garden — 700
acres here with walking trails, herb gardens and artwork.
3. Triangle Boat Tours - go for a romantic moonlit ride on one of their 24-foot Bentley pontoon boats.
North Carolina Romance Packages
Charlotte, North Carolina Romantic Getaways
Romantic Room at The Ivey's Hotel in Charlotte NC
Affordable Homewood Suites Charlotte Ballantyne
- The Ivey's Hotel - billed as the "ultimate boutique hotel experience" in Charlotte, and wow: French oak floors, Italian bedding, Library Lounge with complimentary breakfast and wine & cheese evenings, claw-foot soaker tubs, romantic dining, and the list goes on. Terrific choice for a honeymoon suite or anniversary getaway in Charlotte. 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic Charlotte NC Hotels: 98% - Excellent. (127 N. Tryon St, Charlotte NC 704-228-1111)
- Homewood Suites Charlotte Ballantyne - couples love this inexpensive all-suites Hilton hotel, and it's packed with amenities including pool/fitness center, King suites with LED TV & HBO, complimentary evening social and hot breakfast, all in a great neighborhood close to shops, dining and nightlife. 2019 ERV Rating* for Charlotte Romantic Hotels: 96% - Excellent. (12030 Copper Way, Charlotte NC 704-544-7902)
Romantic Things to Do in Charlotte:
1. Historic McNinch House - Prix Fixe gourmet dinner.
2. Bar Cocoa - inside the Ritz
Carlton Hotel, check out the half-day dessert class, or just stop in for macarons, truffles and gelato.
3. Southern Breezes - romantic horse and carriage rides. (704-301-5111)
North Carolina's Romantic Outer Banks
Romantic Surf Side Hotel, Outer Banks NC
Oceanfront Hampton Inn Suites Outer Banks
- Surf Side Hotel - a favorite getaway spot on the North Carolina shore for couples, with ocean view hot tub and honeymoon suites, plus private balconies, indoor and outdoor pools, and free breakfast. 2019 ERV Rating* for Outer Banks Romantic Hotels: 94% - Excellent. (6701 Virginia Dare Trail, Nags Head NC 800-552-7873).
- Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks/Corolla - great base to discover the Cape Hatteras coast. Oceanfront Hampton hotel has pool and lazy river, while rooms include HDTV, Wi-Fi and famously-comfortable Hampton beds. 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic Outer Banks Hotels: 92% - Excellent. (333 Audubon Dr, Corolla NC 252-453-6565).
Outer Banks Romantic Getaway Ideas:
1. Cape Hatteras Lighthouse - climb the 248 stairs to the top! Bodie Island Lighthouse near Nags Head and Currituck Beach Lighthouse are both great too.
2. Cape Hatteras National Sea Shore - unspoiled beaches where you can have a picnic near the sand dunes and watch the waves.
3. Wild Horse Adventure Tour - see the wild horses of the Outer Banks along with beach, dune and forest trails from inside an open-air Hummer.
4. Elizabethan Gardens - explore the botanical beauty of these charming gardens, one of the Outer Banks hidden gems.
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific rating formula for romantic hotels which includes:
- Romantic Amenities: suites with an in-room Whirlpool bath or JACUZZI® Tub, scenic view, fireplace, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families with kids, business travelers, etc)
with Couples & Honeymooners: based on variety of social media & crowd-sourced reviews.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages