Romantic Edmonton Weekend Getaways & Hotel Packages
Romantic Vacations Home
One of the Most Scenic Areas of Edmonton: The River Valley
FTC: This page uses affiliate links. More.
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Sep 25, 2020
Whether business or pleasure brings you to Edmonton, it's easy to turn a weekend here into a fun romantic getaway. And although Alberta's capital is growing fast, it's still one of the easier cities in Canada to get around by car.
What to Expect for Weather in Edmonton: Winters are cold but quite sunny, with average daytime high temperatures around -8 C. Summers are generally warm and pleasant, with long hours of daylight. The best time to visit Edmonton is anytime between May and October.
Romantic Hotels in Edmonton
Bedroom - Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton
Whirlpool Suite at the Hilton Garden Inn
- Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton - there's something special about booking a hotel suite with a hot tub right in the room. And the Hilton Garden Inn, one of Edmonton's top-rated hotels, has Whirlpool suites perfect for an inexpensive weekend getaway. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Edmonton Hotels: 88% - Very Good. (17610 Stony Plain Rd, Edmonton AB 780-443-2233)
Union Bank Inn
Fairmont Hotel McDonald
Metterra Hotel on Whyte
- Union Bank Inn - a touch of elegance in Downtown Edmonton. Romantic dining on-site (Madison’s Grill), walk to shopping, live theatre and much more. On a recent overnight here, we were greeted with a wine & cheese basket, cozy fireplace and his n' her fleece robes. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Downtown Edmonton Hotels: 84% - Very Good. (10053 Jasper Ave, Edmonton AB 888-423-3601)
- Fairmont Hotel Macdonald - Edmonton's grandest hotel combines romantic lodging with spectacular river valley views from the rooms as well as the fantastic terrace & Harvest Room restaurant. It's hard to imagine a more special place for a honeymoon or anniversary in Central Alberta. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Edmonton Hotels: 84% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (10065 100th St, Edmonton AB 800-257-7544)
- Metterra Hotel On Whyte - a romantic inn on Edmonton's South Side, with unique touches like body spray showers and evening wine & cheese tasting. One of the best (and only) boutique hotels in Edmonton, with a great location in fun & lively Old Strathcona. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Edmonton Hotels: 90% - Excellent. (10454-82 Ave, Edmonton AB 866-465-8150)
Romantic B&B's in Edmonton
- University Suite B&B - this bed and breakfast is in a good South Edmonton location on a quiet residential street, close to shopping and restaurants in Old Strathcona and the University of Alberta. It's also just a 5 minute walk away from transit connections to both downtown and West Edmonton Mall. Rooms are clean and spacious, have large flat-screen TV's, and guests give the hot breakfast a big 2-thumbs up. They can accommodate special occasion travel and even small weddings if you contact them first. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic B&B's in Edmonton: 98% - Excellent. (11137 - 81 Ave, Edmonton AB 780-905-3750)
Edmonton Honeymoon & Romance Packages, Theme Rooms
View from the Patio of the Marriott Courtyard Hotel, Downtown Edmonton
- Romantic Edmonton Hotel Rooms with the Best View - the Fairmont Hotel McDonald, Courtyard Edmonton Downtown and Chateau Lacombe all have rooms that look out on the River Valley.
- Best Honeymoon Suites in Edmonton - the Fairmont Hotel McDonald's King George VI Suite on the 8th floor includes a sunken bedroom w/ four poster bed and a hot tub for two persons. Other romantic honeymoon rooms would include the Fantasyland Hotel's Theme Rooms as well as the Metterra Hotel on Whyte's Fire & Water Suites (see above), with jetted tub, wet bar, fireplace and Keurig Coffee machines.
- Edmonton Honeymoon & Romance Packages - celebrating a honeymoon in Edmonton? The Fantasyland Hotel & Resort has romance packages for newlyweds. Other romantic hotel packages can be found at the Chateau Lacombe and Fairmont Hotel McDonald (see above).
- Romantic Edmonton Theme Rooms - find an extra little bit of romance in West Edmonton Mall's Fantasyland Hotel & Resort (there's several different theme rooms, including African, Roman, Hollywood and a uniquely Canadian Igloo Room!).
Romantic Things to Do in Edmonton, AB
Old Strathcona - called "Edmonton's Best Neighborhood", Whyte Avenue (82 ave) between 100 & 107 Streets is a cool place to spend some time checking out the Cities best array of pubs, book stores, theaters, cafes and live performances.
High Level Bridge Streetcar - relive the past and experience the High Level Bridge like never before with a ride on one of these restored historic tram cars. You can board at either the Old Strathcona Station (103 St & 84 Ave) or closer to downtown at Jasper Plaza. The Streetcar is a really romantic thing for couples to do, but a summer-only attraction as it operates from mid-May to Thanksgiving in October only.
104 St – head here for a great dinner out and a good cup of coffee after. Corso 32 is a nice pick for Italian (one of the cities’ best in fact), even though elbow space is at a premium in this cozy little dining room.
West Edmonton Mall - especially during the cold winter, a fun couple of days at WEM makes for a romantic weekend in Edmonton. It's one of the largest shopping malls in the world, and probably still the single biggest attraction the city is known for. Of course, you won't cover everything in one day, so try to spend a couple days or a weekend here. You can:
- Shop till you drop - over 800 stores!
- Lie in the sun, go for a swim in the wave pool or try the waterslides at World Waterpark.
- Be a kid again at Galaxyland Amusement Park (largest indoor amusement park in the world).
- Catch a movie at one of 13 first-run theater.
Afterwards, you've got your pick of a whole range of restaurants. We love some of the fine eateries along Bourbon Street. For a quieter setting, Cafe Europa is a good choice. The distance from the Mall to the International Airport (YEG) is 40 kms (driving time is 35 minutes), and to downtown Edmonton about 8 kms.
Edmonton Queen River Boat - turn your night out on the town into a night out on the North Saskatchewan River, complete with live music and a seafood buffet. The Queen runs from May thru to late October, call 780-424-2628 for booking Edmonton's only romantic boat cruise.
River Valley - over 150 kms along the North Saskatchewan River ideal for summertime picnics, hiking, cycling, cross-country skiing and more.
Go Tobogganing - great fun in the winter! Edmonton maintains several hills perfect for a "sled ride for 2" including Rundle Park and Whitemud Park North.
Legislature Grounds - 50+ acres of beautifully landscaped grounds adorn the Provincial Government buildings. During the winter holiday season, dress warm & come down for a stroll to admire all 120,000 lights among the trees. The fountains get our vote as one of Edmonton's best spots for proposals.
Take in a Drive-In Movie - just like old times, the Silver Spur Drive-In has brought back outdoor movies to Edmonton. Each summer, at the north parking lot of TELUS Field, you can catch a classic flick from the comfort of your car or truck. See www.silverspurmovies.com for schedules and more info.
Video: Edmonton Alberta Romantic Getaway Ideas
Here's a HD video that shows some of the romantic Edmonton things to do and places to stay we mention on this page. In just over a minute, you'll see video of:
- Fairmont Hotel McDonald
- River Valley
- Old Strathcona
- Madison's Grill
- Union Bank Inn
More Western Canada Romantic Getaways on ERV:
Romantic Edmonton Restaurants
The restaurants in Alberta's Capital get very busy on weekends, so reservations are essential. Some of the best Edmonton restaurants for honeymoons, anniversaries and places to propose would include:
- Madison's Grill - the scene of many romantic Edmonton dates is just next door to the Union Bank Inn. We found the service was just right, the quiet and relaxing atmosphere great for conversation, and the Butter Chicken just awesome! (10053 Jasper Ave, Edmonton AB 780-421-7171)
- The Creperie - many awards won here, including best ambiance and most romantic restaurant in Edmonton. Located in downtown Edmonton's boardwalk, the specialty is of course crepes, along with seafood, special baked bread and some great salads. (111 - 10220 103 St, Edmonton AB 780-420-6656)
- La Ronde - dine in one of the most romantic spots in Edmonton! You'll love the excellent regional Canadian cuisine, and the La Ronde is Edmonton's only revolving restaurant, rotating every 90 minutes high up on top of the Chateau Lacombe Hotel. Open 10 - 2 for Sunday Brunch. (10111 Bellamy Hill, Edmonton, AB 780-428-6611)
- Hardware Grill - certainly one of the best restaurants in Edmonton. Grilled elk, bison meatloaf and potato perogies are just the beginning! In the heart of the art district in Edmonton, and a great place to dine before or after a show. (9698 Jasper Ave, Edmonton, AB 780-423-0969)
Map of Edmonton's Romantic Places & Attractions
View Edmonton, Alberta Romantic Getaway & Honeymoon Places in a larger map
Travel to Edmonton
Edmonton, Alberta is located in western Canada. The location of Edmonton Airport (3-letter code: YEG) is 12 miles south of Edmonton. The Airport shuttle costs $18 one way, and travel time to downtown Edmonton is about 45 minutes. Cost of a taxi from the airport to downtown Edmonton hotels is about $47.
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific rating formula for romantic hotels which includes:
- Romantic Amenities: suites with an in-room Whirlpool bath or JACUZZI® Tub, scenic view, fireplace, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families with kids, business travelers, etc)
with Couples & Honeymooners: based on variety of social media & crowd-sourced reviews.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages