Ontario Romantic Getaways for Summer & Winter Weekends Away
FTC: This page uses affiliate links. More.
Romantic Vacations Home
Maid of the Mist Getting Close to Niagara Falls, Still One of Ontario's Most Romantic Places
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Sep 25, 2020
You might imagine Ontario as a land just full of forests and lakes. It is, but it also contains a terrific collection of interesting little towns and villages, miles of relaxing lakefronts, magnificent Niagara Falls, and of course, dynamic places like Ottawa and Toronto, Canada's largest city.
Since Ontario is so huge, and Niagara Falls is a getaway all on it's own, this section concentrates mostly on getaways in Southwestern Ontario.
The Best Time to Visit Ontario? Late spring (May) right thru to the fall foliage season in October. In winter, come prepared and dressed well, and you can experience Canada at it's frosty best.
Here's our choices for the most romantic spots in Ontario...
Romantic View from a Superior Fallsview Room at the Marriott Fallsview Hotel & Spa
Probably not much more we can say about the Falls, still the no.1 honeymoon destination in North America. Except, where to stay?
The Niagara Peninsula is more than just Niagara Falls. Niagara-on-the-Lake is home to wineries and wine tasting, and one look at the downtown and nearby waterfront quickly establishes it as one of the most romantic places in Ontario.
Take some time to soak up the lakefront and the abundance of antique shops, bakeries and cafes on Queen Street. You can cycle the Niagara Wine Route for a closer look at the vineyards, or join one of a number of guided tours from Toronto or Niagara Falls. The Niagara Ice Wine Festival (in January of 2017, exact dates to be announced) is a great excuse for a winter getaway to this area. Wine & cheese seminars, weekend shows, and an exciting winter fest in St. Catharines are the highlights.
- The Charles Hotel - located near the center of Niagara-on-the-Lake, but just far enough away for a superb relaxing stay. There's King bedded rooms, some with Whirlpool or soaker tubs, luxury linens and bath amenities, complimentary Wi-Fi and an upstairs veranda with views of the gardens and Lake Ontario. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Niagara-on-the-Lake Hotels: 88% - Very Good. (85 Melville St, Niagara-on-the-Lake ON 800-474-0632)
- BranCliff Inn - NOTL's top-rated bed and breakfast enjoys a great location on a quiet street close to the town center. The building is soaked in history, but fully up-to-date with luxury bedding, fireplace, Kuerig coffee machines and LCD TV's. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Niagara-on-the-Lake B&B's: 98% - Excellent. (40 Platoff St, Niagara-on-the-Lake ON 905-468-8800)
More Southern Ontario Romantic Getaways
Brilliant Autumn Colors on the Burlington, ON Lakefront
West Montrose Covered Bridge
- Burlington, ON - one of the most attractive waterfronts on Lake Ontario, and great for long walks and people watching. Afterwards, head over to Denninger's (699 Guelph Line, Burlington ON). Romance may not be on the menu here, but awesome European specialties like their Artisan Beer Sausage are just too good to pass up!
- West Montrose Covered Bridge - the last one in Ontario, and also widely known as the "Kissing Bridge". You'll find the countryside around this part of Southern Ontario particularly scenic. (1232 Rivers Edge Dr, West Montrose, ON)
In Bissell Park Overlooking Elora Gorge
Paris, ON Along the Grand River
- Elora Gorge - just steps from the downtown cafes & shops of Elora ON, a beautiful gorge you can view from Bissell Park.
- Paris, ON - look behind the attractive main street here for a little slice of Europe. You can get even closer at either 2 Rivers Restaurant or Stillwaters Plate & Pour, both with views overlooking the Grand River.
Stone Mill Inn, St. Catharines ON
Romantic Flying Leap B&B in Elora, Ontario
- Stone Mill Inn - St. Catharines is central to the Niagara Region and many Southern Ontario attractions. It's also home to this historic 1860 boutique hotel with walk-in showers, spa bath tubs, or a loft with rainfall shower and full kitchen. 2020 ERV Rating* for Southern Ontario Romantic Inns: 84% - Very Good. (271 Merritt St, St. Catharines ON 905-680-6455)
- Mattawa House B&B - this cute-as-can-be B&B in Elora, ON is custom made for book-lovers (over 600 here!), and offers theme rooms, a restful setting and Wi-Fi as well. For breakfast, expect to be won over completely by their renowned Eggs in a Nest and Apple Almond cake. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Southern Ontario Bed and Breakfasts: 98% - Excellent. (249 Geddes St, Elora ON 226-369-0376)
London, ON Romantic Getaways
- Romantic Things to Do in London, Ontario - Victoria Park is the place for a hand-in-hand stroll in London. Or make your way over to the excellent Convent Garden Market (130 King St) and share a double apple-cinnamon Burek from Hot Oven. If you're here near the dinner hour, stay parked and just hop across the street to Abruzzi (119 King St, London ON 519-675-9995) for Italian Inspired dishes in a candlelit dining room.
Courtyard by Marriott in London, Ontario
Romantic Whirlpool Suite - Courtyard London
- Courtyard by Marriott Romantic London ON Hotel - beautiful Whirlpool suites here are a perfect & inexpensive overnight for getaways or anniversary trips in Southwestern Ontario. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic London, ON Hotels: 84% - Very Good. (864 Exeter Rd, London ON 519-680-0077)
- Delta London Armouries Hotel - just 2 hrs drive from downtown Toronto, the Delta London Armourie's newly refreshed romantic rooms are ready with jetted tubs, luxury beds and cathedral ceilings. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic London, ON Hotels: 82% - Very Good. (325 Dundas St, London, ON 800-668-9999)
- Ontario Hotel Rooms with Whirlpool Tubs - for special getaways and honeymoons, you need bubbles! So be sure to check out our latest guide to hotel hot tubs in great places all around the province, including Toronto, Ottawa, Niagara-on-the-Lake, London ON and more.
Romantic Summer Activities in Ontario
Some romantic things to do in Ontario in the summer:
- Explore the historic village of St. Jacobs, stopping at the Farmers Market to sample Mennonite jams, cheese and assorted crafts.
- Lounging on the grassy banks of the Avon River in attractive Stratford, Ontario.
- Take the ferry to Pelee Island, one of Ontario's most secluded spots that's easily accessible. There's an old lighthouse, wineries and wildlife viewing.
More on erv:
One of the most popular romantic getaways in Southern Ontario is around the Muskoka region, located about a 2 hour drive north of Toronto. This piece of accessible Ontario wilderness is a playground full of hiking, swimming, lake and river water activities, and quaint little villages. Or, many come here just to kick back at a lakefront cottage and relax for the weekend.
There are a number of romantic resorts in Ontario cottage country, including the Trillium Resort & Spa, with it's own private lake and waterfalls. If something a little smaller is more you style, a fine cottage country romantic B&B inn is the Inn at the Falls.
Ontario's Most Romantic Wilderness Resort
Just over 3 hours northeast of Toronto, you'll find the Couples Resort nestled into the woods in a private & secluded spot in Algonquin Park. As the name states, it's a couples only resort, and it is one of Ontario's finest getaways for weddings, honeymoons and spa vacations.
Here's just a sample of what this splendid wilderness spa resort offers for Ontario romantic getaways:
- luxury cabins with hot tubs
- wilderness hikes & wildlife viewing
- all-inclusive packages with breakfast in bed, and gourmet dining
For a weekend getaway in Ontario, consider the pretty little town of Cobourg. Located on the shores of Lake Ontario, it has a nice waterfront promenade perfect for an afternoon stroll or picnic. You can explore the many wooded trails nearby, or head 10 km west to Port Hope, ON, an historic town with the "best preserved main street in Ontario".
Both towns have a nice choice of romantic inns and B&B's, as well as restaurants and pubs.
Things to Do in the Winter
- Skating on the Rideau Canal, Ottawa
- Niagara Falls Festival of Lights
- Elmira Maple Syrup Festival
- Ride the Snow Train to Agawa Canyon
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific rating formula for romantic hotels which includes:
- Romantic Amenities: suites with an in-room Whirlpool bath or JACUZZI® Tub, scenic view, fireplace, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families with kids, business travelers, etc)
with Couples & Honeymooners: based on variety of social media & crowd-sourced reviews.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages