Romantic Getaways in Washington DC - Fun for 2 in the Nation's Capital
FTC: This page uses affiliate links. More.
Romantic Vacations Home
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Sep 16, 2021
Washington DC is a treasure of mesmerizing collection of sights, monuments, museums and institutions. It's also a great destination in 2021 for romantic weekends, anniversary trips, and honeymoons.
View Looking Towards Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
Best Time to Visit Washington DC - a winter getaway will probably restrict you to
all the museums and indoor historic sites in the area. Autumn is a pretty time
in D.C and Virginia, and May and June are comfortable months before the heat
and humidity of summer set in. During the National Cherry Blossom Festival (first 2 weeks of
April), Washington DC is at it's prettiest!
So no matter if your getaway is winter or summer, we've included a mixture of indoor and outdoor things to do in the Washington DC metro area. Have fun exploring D.C.!
Washington DC Romantic Hotels for Every Budget
Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Kimpton Hotel Palomar, Washington DC
- Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC - What Other Couples Liked: Relaxed, Comfortable and Friendly...Fine Hotel & Nice Breakfast...New Hotel, Excellent Location and Understated Elegance. 2021 ERV Rating* for Romantic Washington DC Hotels: 86% - Very Good. (2201 M Street NW, Washington DC 202-974-6010) √ COVID Safety Plan: Yes
Romantic Washington DC Whirlpool Suites:
- Royal Sonesta Washington DC - One of the most romantic boutique inns in the Washington DC area. Spa suites with large 2-person jetted tubs are available, plus there's an outdoor heated pool, as well as complimentary morning coffee and evening wine reception. 2021 ERV Rating* for Washington DC Jetted Tub Suites: 88% - Very Good. (2121 P St NW, Washington DC 202-448-1800) √ COVID Safety Plan: Yes
Luxury Washington DC Honeymoon Hotel:
- Mandarin Oriental - The Presidential Suite looks very romantic, and they can arrange a massage treatment in their spa, or candlelit dinner at the Muze restaurant. 2021 ERV Rating* for Romantic Washington DC Hotels: 86% - Very Good. (1330 Maryland Ave SW, Washington DC 202-554-8588) √ COVID Safety Plan: Yes
Vacation Rental & Cabin Getaways:
- Luray Virginia Romantic Cabins & Cottages - these honeymoon cabin rentals are just 90 minutes drive from the capitol, and they offer hot tub suites, fireplaces and private decks. There's activities like kayaking, hiking and fishing in nearby Shenandoah National Park.
Romantic Spots & Tours in Washington DC
- Potomac River Dinner & Dance Cruise - Odyssey Cruises for 2017 offers romantic dinner cruises with dancing on the Potomac, complete with DJ's, large outdoor patio decks, and buffet dinner.
- Washington DC Memorials at Night - avoid the daytime crowds and enjoy historic D.C. at sunset and during the evening. The popular Lincoln Memorial, as well as both the Jefferson and Roosevelt Memorials take on a unique and romantic beauty at night under the lights.
- Washington Monument - a natural choice for the breathtaking views of Capitol Hill.
- Sky Terrace, Hotel Washington - discuss the federal budget and the best views of
Washington D.C. over a couple of cocktails on the roof of this romantic hotel.
- The Mall - you've seen it in movies, now take a romantic walk down this scenic and historic corridor.
In Front of the Lincoln Memorial, with the Washington Monument in the Distance.
- Georgetown - tour historic sites, discover the waterfront shops, or dine on crab cakes in one of this areas romantic restaurants.
- Theodore Roosevelt Island - after a day or two of seeing Washington's great museums and historic sites, hit the great outdoors in Roosevelt Island, one of the best secluded spots in Washington DC. You can walk, bike or even kayak here, and enjoy the peaceful views of the city across the water.
- Eastern Market - a fun romantic activity on Sundays is strolling through the streets of this Capitol Hill neighborhood and exploring the farmers market, arts and crafts and food stands.
Romantic Getaways Near Washington, DC
Lots of Shops and Cafes to Explore Along Attractive King St in Alexandria, VA.
- Old Town, Alexandria, VA - just across the Potomac River in Virginia, you'll love
this historic waterfront town & seaport with it's antique shops and quaint
restaurants. Enjoy a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride down the cobblestone
streets. For a romantic weekend stay, you'll love the Morrison House Boutique Hotel.
- Great Falls Park - with it's superb setting on the banks of the Potomac River, scenic
Great Falls Park is a nice spot for a romantic picnic on a day trip from
Washington, DC. (14 miles from the city).
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific ratings for romantic accommodation include:
- Amenities: including Whirlpool bath or JACUZZI® Tub, scenic view, fireplace, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families, business travelers, etc)
- Popularity: based on social media & crowd-sourced reviews
- Value: product offered compared to room rate
- Please Note: percentage ratings are not absolute but for comparative use only
√ COVID Safety Plan: identifies hotels and inns that clearly indicate they are taking measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages