Romantic Florida Vacations for Couples - Hotels, resorts & getaway ideas
Romantic Vacations Home
Ft Lauderdale Beach, a Romantic Spot on the South Florida Coast
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Nov 28, 2020
FTC: This page uses affiliate links. More.
Probably the last thing you want on your escape to the Sunshine State is to stand in line at a theme park or get run over by Spring Break crowds. So we've compiled some of our best romantic Florida vacation ideas, photos and reviews for couples looking for relaxation, quiet(er) beaches, and things to do "for 2".
Best Time to Visit Florida: there's just a couple of times & places to avoid when planning a trip to Florida, and those are certain beach destinations during Spring Break, and the higher heat, humidity and rainfall from June to August.
Our Top Romantic Places in Florida:
- Naples - while most of Florida's Gulf of Mexico Coast is highly attractive, we find Naples just a little bit extra-awesome. It's got a beautiful main street, several very impressive boutique hotels and inns, and outstanding dining spots of all description. Of course, because it's on Florida's West Coast, you get a stunning sunset on the beach every evening.
- Key West - despite the first 1/2 of the journey south through the Florida Keys beginning to resemble a strip mall, the end of U.S. Highway 1 is still worth the drive. There's a small supply of nice beaches to be discovered, delicious Key Lime pie to try, and musicians and street performers ready to join you in saying goodbye to the sun every night at Mallory Square.
Featured Naples, Florida Romantic Hotel: Inn on 5th
- Inn on 5th, Naples FL - perfectly located in the heart of downtown Naples, The Inn on 5th provides an ideal couples getaway, anniversary or honeymoon on the Florida Gulf Coast. This historic inn's 119 rooms and suites will inspire the romantic in you, with amenities that include private balconies, robes, WiFi, Flat Screen TV's, Italian marble bathrooms, and Whirlpool tubs in selected Terrace Suites. The Inn on 5th's "Pillow Talk" romance package includes French champagne, a massage for 2 at the Spa on Fifth, and a champagne dinner at Avenue 5. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Florida Hotels: 92% - Excellent. (699 5th Avenue South, Naples, Florida 888-403-8778)
- Orlando FL Romantic Getaways - Orlando? As in WDW? Yup, there's many reasons why you might find yourself here: the cheapest flight to Florida you could get was to MCO, breaking up a north to south road trip, or, you're doing it for the kids. So let us share with you a few parts of the city and the greater Orlando area that we discovered were ideal for a romantic weekend, day or evening away.
Romantic Florida Vacation Guide on ERV - Choose Your Coast:
Couple Walking Along the Water at Sunset in Ft. Myers Beach, FL
- Fort Myers Romantic Getaways - a re-invigorated downtown River District along with miles of soft Gulf Shore sand await romantic travelers who head to the "City of Palms". We've got tips on romantic things to do, places to dine, and 2 romantic places to stay for a getaway or honeymoon in Fort Myers & fort Myers Beach.
- Naples FL Romantic Getaways - as described above, a very romantic spot for a week or weekend on the Gulf Coast. We've got some suggestions and ratings by couples for places to stay and where to eat in Naples, one of the nicest small cities anywhere in Florida.
- Sarasota Romantic Getaways - celeb's like Jerry Springer and AC/DC's Brian Johnson decided to call Sarasota home, and we wish we could too! But, we had to settle for a brief exploration of this precious piece of sand, sunsets and civility along the Gulf of Mexico. Our page includes ideas for romantic activities as well as a very cool boutique inn just dripping with romance...
- Key West FL Honeymoon Vacations - rather drive to the Caribbean than fly? Key West is as close to the tropics as you can get in the continental USA. This guide can help you locate a super-romantic honeymoon package, resort and suite in Key West.
- Fort Lauderdale Romantic Weekend Getaway Ideas - imagine a somewhat more laid-back version of Miami Beach with affordable hotels and parking. If a day on the sparkling Ft. Lauderdale sand still leaves you craving more "refined" surroundings, just hop on over to the shops and cafes on Las Olas Boulevard. See our Ft Lauderdale travel tips for couples, including romantic hotels and packages.
more Romantic Places to Stay in Florida
- Florida Jetted Tub Suites - reviews of hotels and inns with honeymoon whirlpool suites in South, Central and Northern Florida.
- Miami's Most Romantic Hotels - South Beach not only has sand, sun and sea, but the Art Deco district is also "the scene" and the place to be seen. See what "SoBe" inns and hotels are terrific for a romantic vacation or South Florida honeymoon.
Beautiful Lake in Front of Marriott Cypress Harbour Villas in Orlando, FL
- Marriott Cypress Harbour Villas - beautiful top-rated resort in Orlando, perfectly suited to romantic getaways. Suites are luxurious and fitted with large 2-person jetted spa tubs, and there's activities galore including jogging, tennis, mini-golf and more. Or, just relax with a drink at one of the 3 pools. 2020 ERV Rating* for Orlando Whirlpool Suites: 96% - Excellent. (11251 Harbour Villa Rd, Orlando FL 407-238-1300)
- Southernmost Beach Resort - the highlight of our 2 nights in Key West was definitely this romantic inn. Updated rooms with many amenities and WiFi, 2 pools (one with a bar and one just for adults), plenty of parking, and you can walk to Duval St shops and restaurants. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Key West Florida Inns: 90% - Excellent. (1319 Duval St, Key West, FL 800-354-4455)
HD Video: Florida's Best Romantic Destinations
We compressed 2 weeks worth of romantic travel in Florida down to 2 minutes of video clips from great places like Ft Myers, Miami, Key West and more. Hope this brief montage of destinations helps inspire some ideas in you for your next getaway to the Sunshine State.
Romantic Smaller Towns & Places to Stay in Florida
Hutchinson Island Plaza Hotel - Ft. Pierce FL
- Hutchinson Island Plaza Hotel & Suites - 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic Ft. Pierce Hotels: 90% - Excellent. (Rates from $89/night, 1230 Seaway Drive, Hutchinson Island, Fort Pierce FL 772-595-0711)
Residence Inn by Marriott, Amelia Island FL
- Residence Inn by Marriott Amelia Island - 2017 ERV Rating for Romantic Amelia Island Accommodation: 96% of Couples Rate* it Excellent/Very Good. (Rates from $115/night, 2301 Sadler Road, Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island FL 904-277-2440)
Ft. Pierce - lots to take in here, including a visit to the adorable Cobb General Store (established in the late 1800's) as well as a walk through the restored waterfront.
Amelia Island - synonymous with romance and Florida, this romantic Barrier Island in the NE tip of the state is filled with parks, beach walks and charming old homes & shops in the Historic District.
Flagler Beach - more than just another piece of nice white sand, Flagler excels in wildlife viewing opportunities (including whale watching) as well as a number of excellent seafood restaurants and waterfront pubs.
- Island Cottage Oceanfront Inn and Spa - 2020 ERV Rating for Romantic Flagler Beach Inns: 98% - Excellent. (Rates from $189/night. 2316 South Oceanshore Blvd, Flagler Beach FL 877-662-6232)
Walking the Pier at the Beach in Naples, Florida
Florida Vacation & Getaway Deals
Florida's Most Romantic Beaches
Florida's Beaches - One of the Biggest Attractions for Romantic Travel in the State
1. Lover's Key, Fort Myers Beach - with a name like this, it has to be near the top of romantic sandy spots in the state, right? Pay the fee for entrance to this state park (2015 rates are $8 per vehicle, well worth it), and you'll find plenty of space, choice hidden trails and spots for relaxing, and a chance for spotting dolphins or manatees just offshore.
2. Sanibel Island - the sand is specacular in most Florida beaches, but Sanibel seems extra nice. Plus, it's a quiet spot most of the time, and a great place for shell collecting.
3. South Beach, Miami - it's not all about just the sand. Being in SoBe is an experience in itself, and a stroll along the soft sand or streetside along the restaurants in the early evening is one of the special things the two of you should not miss in South Florida.
4. Amelia Island - if you'd like to hear the ocean, and nothing else, Amelia Island is a fine choice. And those pictures of romantic horseback riding in Florida? Probably taken here.
5. Naples Beach - sunsets are spectacular on the Gulf side, and especially enjoyable when you've just had drinks and a fine meal at one of the romantic dining spots in this "sophisticated-but-not-snobby" small city.
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific ratings for romantic accommodation include:
- Amenities: including Whirlpool bath or JACUZZI® Tub, scenic view, fireplace, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families, business travelers, etc)
- Popularity: based social media & crowd-sourced reviews
- Value: product offered compared to room rate
- Please Note: percentage ratings are not absolute but for comparative use only
√ COVID Safety Plan: identifies hotels and inns that clearly indicate they are taking measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages