Really Romantic Getaways in Illinois - Fun Destination Ideas, Inns, Cabins & more
Relaxing & Romantic Getaways in Illinois, including Weekend Escapes from Chicago
Romantic Vacations Home
Holding up the Welcome Sign in Romantic Western Illinois!
By Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Jan 12, 2015
Welcome to romantic travel in Illinois! We’ve put together some ideas for romantic getaways and weekends in Illinois, including honeymoon cabins, small inns, and some romantic and fun places to eat. Many of these getaway ideas would make an easy day trip or overnight getaway from Chicago.
Best Times for Romantic Getaways in Illinois: for comfort outdoors, May to early October is best.
Late fall, winter and spring can mean few crowds and great rates at hotels, but be prepared for snaps of cold weather and plenty of snow in the winter. Autumn foliage is often at it's very best in early October, a great time for scenic drives throughout the state.
Romantic Getaways in Illinois - Galena
This little jewel of a town in the northwest is one of the most popular romantic getaways in Illinois. It's about 175 miles NW of Chicago, an easy 3 hour drive.
Galena is packed with some interesting things to do - there’s the award-winning Galena Winery, the Galena Art Center, historical sites like the Ulysses S. Grant Home State Historic Site or 1859 Post Office, and many beautiful 19th century historic homes and specialty shops to explore.
Don't miss a relaxing stroll down main street, or give your feet a rest and a hop onto an authentic Galena Trolley (they have several local trolley tours as well). Stop by to check out some of the specialty shops like Kandy Kitchen and Galena Canning Co. There's wine tasting nearby too: Galena Cellars has their own vineyard & tours a few minutes drive out of town, but you can duck into their Tasting room in Downtown Galena at 515 South Main St.
Main Street in Galena, one of Illinois's Most Romantic Small Towns
Scenic Countryside near Galena, IL
Hot Sauce Sampling at Galena Canning Co!
Romantic Illinois Hotel: Goldmoor Inn
The Goldmoor Inn, one of the Most Romantic Small Hotels in Illinois.
Romantic Illinois Hot Tub Suite - Goldmoor Inn
Goldmoor Inn - Views of the Mississippi River
- Goldmoor Inn, Galena, IL- a 10 minute drive from Galena through the country, but well worth it. Luxury rooms, on-site romantic dining, and beautiful landscaped grounds give it an almost European estate feel. Our suite's Jacuzzi tub had great views of the countryside and Mississippi River. Tip: If your arriving in summer, remember to bring some mosquito spray! Romantic Touch: sit back in the Adirondack chairs and soak up the views of the Mississippi River with Iowa on the horizon! What Other Couples Said: "Irish Cottage with a cozy fireplace"..."furniture showing it's age"..."Quiet and Serene." 2015 Rating for Romantic Places to Stay near Galena, IL: 93% of couples rated it Excellent/Very Good. (9001 Sand Hill Rd, Galena, IL. 815-777-3925)
Our Video: Goldmoor Inn, Galena, IL
This HD video of our stay at the Goldmoor Inn shows a Jacuzzi Suite with a great river view, plus the restaurant and some scenes of the beautiful grounds and romantic Illinois countryside outside the inn.
- Romantic Galena B&B's - there are some very classic and quaint lodging choices for a bed and breakfast in Galena. A couple of nights in a rustic, turn-of-the-century historic inn here will add some romance to your Illinois weekend getaway.
More Romantic Illinois on Excellent Romantic Vacations:
Illinois Romantic Cabins & Cottages
- Romantic Utica, Illinois Cabins, Cottages & Rentals - super-romantic cabins and cottages in north-central Illinois, with secluded and lakefront locations, hot tubs, fireplaces, private decks and much more. Easy driving distance from Chicago and Rockford, IL.
Romantic Illinois Mississippi River Cruises
What couple wouldn't love a romantic boat cruise on the Mississippi? So head to Western Illinois for a scenic cruise on the Mississippi River aboard the grand old "Celebration Belle" paddle wheeler. Day, overnight and themed cruises (Oktoberfest, Fall Foliage and Big Band to name a few) are available, and you can even make a special booking and have your wedding on board! (2501 River Drive, Moline, IL www.celebrationbelle.com)
The state capital of Illinois has some worthwhile things to see, including the Lincoln Home National Historic Site. Springfield has lots of Lincoln memorabilia and historic sights; check with the visitor center for details.
Route 66 Drive In Movie Theater - Springfield's must-see for an Illinois romantic getaway! Open April to October, admission is $5/adult. And for the complete retro-experience, have dinner first at the Cozy Dog Drive-in, the founding fathers of the corn dog!!
Distance from Chicago to Springfield: 200 miles, Driving Time: 3.5 hours.
Beautiful Anderson Gardens, a Romantic Place for A Wedding in Illinois
There's some fun things to do here on an Illinois weekend getaway, like the Magic Waters Waterpark, and trying out the go-carts at Rev'd Up Entertainment Center. Or, appreciate the perfectly manicured Japanese vegetation at Anderson Gardens. The River District is the place to go for entertainment, brew pubs and historic walks.
Romantic Rockford Hotels: Deals up to 25% Off - including Radisson, Courtyard & Hilton Garden Inn.
Romantic Restaurants in Rockford, IL:
- JMK Nippon (dine outdoor overlooking beautiful Japanese gardens, 815-977-8815)
- Linos (tacky but fun Old Italy decor, 815-397-2077)
Distance from Chicago to Rockford: 84 miles, Driving Time: 1.5 hours
3 More Romantic Small Towns in Illinois:
- Mt. Vernon, IL - great stopover for romantic getaways in Southern Illinois. Check out the Cedarhurst Arts Center, and find out why the 9th St Grill gets such great reviews. Romantic Place to Stay: The Dunaven Suite with JACUZZI® Tub at Sidwell Friends B&B. 2015 Rating* for Romantic Mt. Vernon IL B&B's: 100% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (1812 Richview Rd, Mt. Vernon IL 618-691-8742)
- Geneva, IL - attractive small town just 90 minutes drive west of Chicago, with great shops and dining. Romantic Place to Stay: The Herrington Inn & Spa. 2015 Rating* for Romantic Geneva IL Hotels: 86% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (15 South River Lane, Geneva, IL 630-208-7433)
- Effingham IL - jokes about the name aside (!), enjoy the friendly surrounds of scenic Lake Sara, or sample a Muscato at nearby Tuscan Hills Winery. Romantic Place to Stay: a comfortable Whirlpool suite at the Holiday Inn Effingham. 2015 Rating* for Romantic Effingham IL Hotels: 96% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (301 Avenue Of Mid America, Effingham IL 877-859-5095)
*ERV Rating for Couples: our unique, non-scientific rating formula for romantic hotels which includes:
- Romantic Amenities: such as an in-suite JACUZZI® tub or Whirlpool bath, scenic view, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families with kids, business travelers, etc)
with Couples & Honeymooners: based on variety of social media & crowd-sourced reviews.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages