Romantic New York State Getaway Ideas for Fun Weekends
New York State Getaway Ideas for Two, Scenic Spots, Honeymoon Inns and more
Early Morning Canoeing for Two in the Adirondacks, NY State
New York State
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Feb 18, 2017
Here's some help planning a romantic New York State vacation getaway for a day, weekend or longer...
This page includes our best tips on romantic weekend vacations in New York State, particularly scenic upstate NY. There's great scenic drives, enchanting towns and villages, thrilling wide-open spaces, and a pleasing variety of romantic places to stay for cozy overnights.
You can tour New York winter and summer, but in our opinion the best time to visit New York State is September and October when the autumn foliage is at it's fiery best.
Romantic New York State Getaway in the Adirondacks
For a quiet romantic escape, you’ll love the Adirondack Mountains in Northern NY state.
Adirondacks attractions include four-star resorts, easy access to wilderness hiking trails, and scenic drives like Route 28 which passes by lakes, farms and gorgeous villages.
Some ideas and romantic spots for an Adirondack vacation include:
- Lake George - An easy getaway from Albany NY. Take a steamboat cruise on the lake, or try some of the touristy but fun adventures around town.
- Aimie's Dinner & Movie - enjoy wine, dinner and a movie all in one sitting! You can dance after in the jazz bar too. Just a few minutes south of Lake George in Glen Falls, NY (518-792-8181).
- Old Forge, NY – ride a chairlift up McCauley Mountain, or hop on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad to Lake Placid, NY.
- Lake Placid, NY - art galleries, horse-drawn carriage and sleigh rides, plus all kinds of recreation make this mountain resort a terrific weekend vacation in upstate NY.
Romantic Cabin in the Adirondacks
Serene Lakefront Spot in NY's Adirondacks
- NY Adirondacks Vacation Rentals - hundreds of romantic cottages, cabins and retreats to choose from with VRBO.com's complete catalog of romantic places to stay in the best Adirondack locations, including Lake George, Lake Placid, Lake Luzerne and Queensbury NY.
- Romantic Adirondack Inns for Couples - Find the cheapest rates and reviews for Romantic Adirondack NY Hotels, B&B's and Lodges here, including inns and lodge rooms that have whirlpool spa tubs, fireplace and mountain or lake views.
- Secluded Adirondack Cabins – the Lake George Vacation Chalet is no. 1 for serenity. It's perched on a secluded spot on the edge of Harrisburg Lake, and comes with comforts like full kitchen, Wi-Fi, brand new bedding, and access to a sauna, kayaking and wildlife viewing.
Romantic NY Getaway for Baseball Lovers
- The Landmark Inn - enjoy luxury lodging and artisan breakfast within walking distance of downtown and the Baseball Hall of Fame at this romantic Cooperstown NY bed and breakfast. This historic property has been beautifully restored and features 10 elegant guest rooms and suites with hardwood floors. Enjoy designer linens, jetted dream showers for two and spa tubs. The perfect romantic retreat for baseball lovers! (64 Chestnut St, Cooperstown, NY 604-547-7225)
Romantic Weekends in the Catskills
The Catskills are popular with couples wanting a quick New York State getaway from NYC. The laid-back feel is a great stress reliever, and you can enjoy a lazy picnic by romantic rivers and fiery autumn foliage between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. For scenic driving tours, the Catskills and southern New York State are the location of many romantic NY covered bridges.
- Woodstock Inn on the Millstream - your love will bloom amid the beautiful gardens of this romantic Catskills NY B&B. Privacy, warm comforters and luxurious beds make their rooms memorable, while several feature whirlpool tubs, fireplace and private decks. The lovely creek side location is the perfect place to relax and embrace your soul - and soul mate. (48 Tannery Brook Rd, Woodstock, NY 800-420-4707)
Romantic Hudson Valley, NY
Couples looking for a weekend break from NYC find the Hudson Valley an easy New York State getaway. Just a 2 hour drive brings you to historic towns, wine tasting, foliage tours and more.
You can also discover some hiking adventures on the Appalachian Trail, or just relax at an romantic pub or restaurant by the river.
Here's a Very Romantic Bed and Breakfast in the Hudson Valley: the lovely restored farmhouse at the Cidar Mill Inn, which enjoys a tranquil apple orchard setting. It offers a relaxing hot tub, and they have romance, babymoon and spa packages.
Hot Tub Heaven - New York State's Most Romantic Hotel Whirlpool Suites
Romantic Sunset over Lake Cayuga, Finger Lakes NY
The Finger Lakes are one of the nicer romantic getaways in western and central New York State. You can visit wineries, hike around magnificent Letchworth State Park, or explore the waterfalls and gorge at Taughannock Falls State Park neat Ithaca, NY. A couple of romantic inns and hotels in the Finger Lakes region of NY state worth mentioning:
- The Chalet of Canandaigua - book a weekend at this secluded and romantic lodge in New York's Finger Lakes, and a wonderful getaway awaits in a luxury boutique inn. Amenities include soaker tubs, fireplace, Wi-Fi and a delicious 3-course gourmet breakfast. 2017 Rating* for Romantic Finger Lakes NY Lodges: 99% of Couples Rate it Excellent/Very Good. (3770 State Rte 21 South, Canandaigua NY 585-394-9080)
- Aurora Inn - set on the shores of Cayuga Lake, and a fine choice for honeymooners and couples in upstate New York. Experience the intimacy of a bed and breakfast with the luxury of a small inn. Features include organic breakfast, marble bathrooms, gas fireplace and lakeside fire pit. 2017 Rating* for Romantic Lakefront NY Inns: 94% of Couples Rate it Excellent/Very Good. (391 Main St, Aurora NY 315-364-8888)
Ithaca, NY – this beautiful spot in Finger Lakes Wine Country is surrounded by romantic attractions: gorgeous gorges, rivers and waterfalls, autumn scenery that couples travel long distances to behold, some excellent restaurants (it’s the unannounced Thai food capital of NY State!), and a very cool Farmers Market held 5 days a week in various locations.
- La Tourelle Hotel Bistro & Spa - Whirlpool Suites, Wi-Fi, theme rooms and fresh-baked cookies at this 52-room resort make it the ideal spa getaway in the Finger Lakes. 2017 Rating* for Romantic Ithaca Inns: 88% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (1150 Danby Rd, Ithaca NY 800-765-1492)
Saratoga Springs, NY
It's hard not to fall in love with Saratoga Springs, NY!
Just take a walking tour of this historic upstate town and admire the grand old Victorian homes and tree-lined streets. The Saratoga State Park mineral baths are one of the top attractions here. The Medbery Inn & Spa, just minutes from downtown Saratoga Springs, has a romantic New York State Spa package for the weekend: 1 or 2 nights, whirlpool and fireplace suite, mineral spa package plus dinner. (48 Front St, Ballston Spa, NY 518-885-7727)
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific rating formula for romantic hotels which includes:
- Romantic Amenities: such as an in-room JACUZZI®, suites with a Whirlpool bath, scenic view, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families with kids, business travelers, etc)
with Couples & Honeymooners: based on variety of social media & crowd-sourced reviews.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages