Romantic New York State Getaways, Hotels & Inns
Romantic Vacations Home
New York State
FTC: This page uses affiliate links. More.
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Sep 13, 2020
Here's some help planning a romantic New York State vacation getaway for a day, weekend or longer...
Early Morning Canoeing for Two in the Adirondacks
This page includes our best tips on romantic weekend vacations in New York State, particularly scenic upstate NY. There's great scenic drives, enchanting towns and villages, thrilling wide-open spaces, and a variety of romantic places to stay for cozy overnights.
You can tour New York winter and summer, but in our opinion the best time to visit New York State is September and October when the autumn foliage is at it's fiery best.
Romantic Adirondacks Getaway
Quiet Relaxation - Placid Bay Inn
- Placid Bay Inn - selected rooms and cottages are available with lake and mountain views, and nightly rates include complimentary kayaks and canoes. Located in the village, just 10 minute walk to downtown Lake Placid. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Adirondacks Waterfront Inns: 94% - Excellent. (2187 Saranac Ave, Lake Placid NY 518-523-2001)
Mirror Lake View - Golden Arrow Resort
- Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort - amenities abound at this all-seasons romantic Adirondack lakefront resort: private beach, indoor pool & sauna, fitness center and on-site restaurant. Select specialty rooms include a Whirlpool Tub. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Adirondacks Waterfront Inns: 86% - Very Good. (2559 Main St, Lake Placid NY 844-209-8080)
Some ideas and romantic spots for an Adirondack vacation include:
- Lake George - An easy getaway from Albany NY. Take a steamboat cruise on the lake, or try some of the touristy but fun adventures around town.
- Route 28 - scenic drive passes by lakes, farms and picturesque villages.
- Aimie's Dinner & Movie - enjoy wine, dinner and a movie all in one sitting! You can dance after in the jazz bar too. Just a few minutes south of Lake George in Glen Falls, NY (518-792-8181).
- Old Forge, NY – ride a chairlift up McCauley Mountain, or hop on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad to Lake Placid, NY.
Romantic Cabin in the Adirondacks
Serene Lakefront Spot in NY's Adirondacks
- NY Adirondacks Vacation Rentals - hundreds of romantic cottages, cabins and retreats to choose from with VRBO.com's complete catalog of romantic places to stay in the best Adirondack locations, including Lake George, Lake Placid, Lake Luzerne and Queensbury NY.
- Romantic Adirondack Inns for Couples - Find the cheapest rates and reviews for Romantic Adirondack NY Hotels, B&B's and Lodges here, including inns and lodge rooms that have whirlpool spa tubs, fireplace and mountain or lake views.
Romantic NY Getaway for Baseball Lovers
- The Landmark Inn - enjoy luxury lodging and artisan breakfast within walking distance of downtown and the Baseball Hall of Fame at this romantic Cooperstown NY bed and breakfast. This historic property has been beautifully restored and features 10 elegant guest rooms and suites with hardwood floors. Enjoy designer linens, jetted dream showers for two and spa tubs. The perfect romantic retreat for baseball lovers! (64 Chestnut St, Cooperstown, NY 604-547-7225)
Romantic Weekends in the Catskills
Getaway - Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
- Woodstock Inn on the Millstream - your love will bloom amid the beautiful gardens of this romantic Catskills NY B&B. Privacy, warm comforters and luxurious beds make their rooms memorable, while several feature Whirlpool tubs, fireplace and private decks. The lovely creek side location is the perfect place to relax and embrace your soul - and soul mate. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Catskills NY Inns: 90% - Excellent. (48 Tannery Brook Rd, Woodstock NY 800-420-4707)
Waterfall Suite - Woodstock Way Hotel
- Woodstock Way Hotel - perfect for a quirky but relaxing weekend away in the Catskills. In the cabins and suites you'll find amenities like cotton robes, luxury bath products, turntables, Wi-Fi and private outdoor spaces. The inn enjoys a secluded spot next to a waterfall and brook, while downtown Woodstock is just steps away. 2020 ERV Rating* for Woodstock NY Inns: 88% - Very Good. (10 Waterfall Way, Woodstock NY 845-684-5911)
The Catskills are popular with those wanting a quick New York State getaway from NYC. The laid-back feel is a great stress reliever, and the romantic rivers and fiery autumn foliage are great to explore between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. You can still drive and discover a number of romantic NY covered bridges in the Catskills and Southern New York State.
Romantic Hudson Valley, NY
Romantic Hudson NY Inn - WM Farmer & Sons
- Wm Farmer & Sons Boarding - luxury rooms and suites are all themed and include some nice amenities like clawfoot tub, gas stove fireplace, Tivoli Radio, A/C and Wi-Fi. There's an on-site restaurant & barroom, and it's got a great location close to the River, train station and Warren Street shops and dining. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Hudson Valley NY Inns: 96% - Excellent. (20 S. Front St, Hudson NY 518-828-1635)
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
- Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson - everything's here for a great upstate getaway at this pet-friendly resort just 30 miles north of NYC: King guest rooms with luxury linen, romantic dining, outdoor sports, and a great outdoor adults-only pool. 2020 ERV Rating* for Tarrytown NY Resorts: 80% - Very Good. (49 E. Sunnyside Lane, Tarrytown NY 914-591-8200)
The Hudson Valley an easy New York State getaway for NYC. Just a 2 hour drive brings you to historic towns, wine tasting, foliage tours and more. There's hiking adventures on the Appalachian Trail, or just relax at an romantic pub or restaurant by the river.
More NY State on ERV:
Finger Lakes - Inns, glamping & more
Romantic Sunset over Lake Cayuga, Finger Lakes NY
The Finger Lakes are one of the best romantic getaways in western and central New York State. You can visit wineries, hike around magnificent Letchworth State Park, or explore the waterfalls and gorge at Taughannock Falls State Park neat Ithaca, NY.
Chalet of Canadaigua
- The Chalet of Canandaigua - book a weekend at this secluded and romantic lodge in New York's Finger Lakes, and a wonderful getaway awaits in a luxury boutique inn. Amenities include soaker tubs, fireplace, Wi-Fi and a delicious 3-course gourmet breakfast. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Finger Lakes NY Lodges: 98% - Excellent. (3770 State Rte 21 South, Canandaigua NY 585-394-9080)
Beautiful Aurora Inn, NY
- Aurora Inn - set on the shores of Cayuga Lake, and a fine choice for honeymooners and couples in upstate New York. Experience the intimacy of a bed and breakfast with the luxury of a small inn. Features include organic breakfast, marble bathrooms, gas fireplace and lakeside fire pit. 2020 ERV Rating* for Finger Lakes NY Inns: 94% - Excellent. (391 Main St, Aurora NY 315-364-8888)
Romantic Glamping - Firelight Camps, Ithaca NY
- Firelight Camps - glamp in style near the Finger Lakes in these luxury safari tents with hardwood floors and private balconies. Enjoy complimentary continental breakfast, hiking, evening wine hour and relaxing by the campfire. 2020 ERV Rating: 84% - Very Good. (1150 Danby Rd, Ithaca NY 607-229-1644)
Le Tourelle Hotel, Ithaca NY
- La Tourelle Hotel Bistro & Spa - Whirlpool Suites, Wi-Fi, theme rooms and fresh-baked cookies at this 52-room resort make it the ideal spa getaway in the Finger Lakes. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Ithaca Inns: 88% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (1150 Danby Rd, Ithaca NY 800-765-1492)
Ithaca, NY – this beautiful spot in Finger Lakes Wine Country is surrounded by romantic attractions: gorges, rivers, waterfalls, and some excellent restaurants (it’s the unannounced Thai food capital of NY State!) Be sure to visit their excellent Farmers Market, held 5 days a week in various locations.
Saratoga Springs, NY
Homewood Suites by Hilton Saratoga Springs NY
- Homewood Suites Saratoga Springs - top-rated Hilton hotel just minutes from downtown Saratoga Springs, with great amenities like indoor pool, outdoor bar & fire pit, and a complimentary beer, wine and light dinner social evening nightly from Mon - Thurs. 2020 ERV Rating for Romantic Saratoga Springs Hotels: 96% - Excellent. (3368 S. Broadway, Saratoga Springs NY 518-580-1500)
It's hard not to fall in love with Saratoga Springs, NY!
Just take a walking tour of this historic upstate town and admire the grand old Victorian homes and tree-lined streets. The Saratoga State Park mineral baths are one of the top attractions here.
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific ratings for romantic accommodation include:
- Amenities: including Whirlpool bath or JACUZZI® Tub, scenic view, fireplace, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families, business travelers, etc)
- Popularity: based social media & crowd-sourced reviews
- Value: product offered compared to room rate
- Please Note: percentage ratings are not absolute but for comparative use only
√ COVID Safety Plan: identifies hotels and inns that clearly indicate they are taking measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.