Ideas for Romantic Getaways in Delaware
FTC: This page uses affiliate links. More.
Romantic Vacations Home
Exploring Rehoboth Beach in Delaware
By Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated Jun 10, 2020
Compact and Romantic, Delaware may not always get noticed, but it’s an ideal getaway for couples in the northeast USA. Whether you’re after a simple romantic beach hotel getaway or a luxury resort with honeymoon suite, it’s easy to find things to do and romantic places in Delaware.
The compact geography of the state means that distances between towns and attractions are short, and best of all, the wonderful Atlantic Ocean is never more than just a few minutes away...
The Best Time to Visit Delaware: May is ideal, and again after summer, late September and October is the best time of year for fall colors and autumn foliage. Beach areas near Rehoboth can get very busy in the summer, so plan your trip carefully. They can also get very hot and humid. That's why late spring and autumn are such great times to plan a getaway in Delaware. Winter can be quite cool, and snow can fall, but mostly towards the northern and inland regions.
Romantic Spots in Rehoboth Beach, DE
Sunrise on the Boardwalk, Rehoboth Beach
Rehoboth Beach is full of small-town charm, nice beaches and a boardwalk perfect for long strolls by the water. A fun place to explore the downtown is at at Rehoboth Ave, full of seafood take-aways, ice cream stands and interesting shops. If you're seeking some sand in quieter surrounds (especially in July/August or during school and stat holidays), just follow Hwy 1 south to Bethany Beach or Fenwick Island.
Room at the Bellmoor Inn & Spa
- The Bellmoor Inn & Spa - Fully renovated in recent years and better than ever. The Bellmoor has 78 rooms and private suites, many with cozy fireplaces, private balconies and hydrotherapy tubs. A full breakfast, afternoon treats, wifi, beach shuttle are included. The resort is just two blocks from the beach and a short walk to great shopping and dining. 2020 ERV Rating* for Rehoboth Beach DE Inns: 96% - Excellent. (6 Christian St, Rehoboth Beach DE 302-2195756)
Romantic Avenue Inn & Spa
- Avenue Inn & Spa - Vacation just a block from the beach, boardwalk, shops and restaurants. Rooms feature free Wi-Fi, fridges and microwaves. Some have private balconies and 2-person Whirlpool tubs. Complimentary breakfast, evening hospitality hour and fresh-baked cookies before bed are included. Take advantage of the fitness facility, full-service spa, indoor pool and outdoor hot tub. The Blue Hen restaurant serves regional dishes, and there’s a lovely outdoor fire-pit where you can sit and unwind in the evenings. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Hotels in Rehoboth Beach DE: 94% - Excellent. (33 Wilmington Ave, Rehoboth Beach DE 844-725-9570)
- Hotel Rehoboth - your romantic place to stay in Rehoboth Beach, and close to all the action of the downtown and the beach. This boutique hotel offers 2-night weekend packages perfect for romance that come with breakfast each morning, shuttle to the beach, wine & cheese evenings plus dinner for two. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Rehoboth Beach, Delaware Hotels: 92% - Excellent (247 Rehoboth Ave, Rehoboth Beach DE 877-247-7346)
romantic Things to Do in Rehoboth Beach:
- Walk the mile-long Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk (try a funnel cake!)
- Take a few rides at family-owned and run Funland Amusement Park
- Visit a vineyard or winery
- Bike or hike the trails through Gordon’s Pond in Cape Henlopen State Park
- Tour the historic Indian River Life-Saving Station
Lovely gardens, mansions and estates highlight this area of Northern Delaware...
Inn at Montchanin Village Romantic Suite
- The Inn & Spa at Montchanin Village is certainly one of the most romantic hotels with honeymoon suites in Delaware's Brandywine Valley. Rooms feature 19th century antiques, and marble baths for 2 similar to Whirlpool tubs. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Delaware Inns: 94% - Excellent. (Route 100 & Kirk Rd, Montchanin DE 302-888-2133)
Dupont Hotel, Wilmington DE
- Dupont Hotel - this historic Brandywine Valley Inn gets celebrity stays and great reviews. If you’re planning a Delaware anniversary getaway, they have a package with champagne, dinner for 2 and museum passes. 2020 ERV Rating* for Wilmington DE Luxury Hotels: 88% - Very Good. (42 West 11 St, Wilmington DE 302-594-3100)
more Romantic Delaware getaway ideas:
Inn at Canal Square, Lewes DE
- The Inn at Canal Square - The beach is only a half mile away from this romantic coastal inn. There are 22 rooms, and three waterfront view, 2-bedroom suites. Each has a balcony, extensive breakfast, Wi-Fi, parking and use of beach chairs and towels included in your stay. The central location is convenient to shopping, dining and bay-area beaches. 2020 ERV Rating* for Lewes De Romantic Hotels: 92% - Excellent. (122 Market St, Lewes DE 302-644-3377)
Lewes DE - Just across the bay from Cape May NJ. Relax on the sandy beaches or check out the attractions at Cape Henlopen State Park.
Room at the State Street Inn
- State Street Inn - located in Dover's Victorian Historic district. Cozy and comfy inn packed with extras like robes, hot tub, fitness room, and even a private putting green. Rooms have A/C, and full breakfast is included. 2020 ERV Rating* for Dover DE B&B's: 98% - Excellent. (228 N. State St, Dover DE 302-734-2294)
Dover, DE - Numerous museums in this small, quiet city make it the ideal winter weekend getaway in Delaware.
- Bethany Beach Ocean Suites Residence Inn - Bethany Beach's newest romantic hotel is this Marriott on the boardwalk, with private balconies, on-site spa, indoor/outdoor pool and complimentary breakfast. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Bethany Beach, DE Hotels: 90% - Excellent. (99 Hollywood St, Bethany Beach, DE 302-539-3200)
Getting to Delaware:
Travel by Car to Delaware - Distance & Driving Time:
(distances shown are to Dover, DE)
- Distance from New York City to Delaware: 165 miles, 3 hrs
- Distance from Washington DC to Delaware: 95 miles, 2 hrs
- Distance from Philadelphia to Delaware: 80 miles, 90 min
- Distance from Baltimore to Delaware: 100 miles, 2 hrs
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific rating formula for romantic hotels which includes:
- Romantic Amenities: suites with an in-room Whirlpool bath or JACUZZI® Tub, scenic view, fireplace, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families with kids, business travelers, etc)
with Couples & Honeymooners: based on variety of social media & crowd-sourced reviews.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages