Ideas for Fun Romantic Getaways in Delaware
Some Exciting Spots for Romantic Getaways in Delaware - Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Brandywine Valley
Romantic Vacations Home
By Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: May 23, 2016
Compact and Romantic, Delaware may not always get noticed, but it’s an ideal getaway for couples in the northeast USA. Whether you’re after a simple romantic beach hotel getaway or a luxury resort with honeymoon suite, it’s easy to find things to do and romantic places in Delaware. Delaware is a particularly attractive spot for romance and travel as a break from some of the bustle of big city destinations nearby (like Baltimore, D.C. and Philadelphia).
The compact geography of the state means that distances between towns and attractions are short, and best of all, the wonderful Atlantic Ocean is never more than just a few minutes away...
The Best Time to Visit Delaware: For a romantic vacation is in the spring, the month of May is ideal, and again after summer, late September and October is the best time of year for fall colors and autumn foliage. Beach areas near Rehoboth can get very busy in the summer, so plan your trip carefully. They can also get very hot and humid. That's why late spring and autumn are such great times to plan a getaway in Delaware.
Winter can be quite cool, and snow can fall, but mostly towards the northern and inland regions.
Romantic Spots in Rehoboth Beach, DE
Maureen and I really like Rehoboth Beach - it's a popular Delaware vacation spot, and full of small-town charm, nice beaches and a boardwalk perfect for long strolls by the water.
A fun place to explore the downtown is at at Rehoboth Ave, a fun street full of seafood take-aways, ice cream stands and interesting shops.
If you're seeking some sand in quieter surrounds (especially in July/August or during school and stat holidays), just follow Hwy 1 south to Bethany Beach or Fenwick Island.
- Hotel Rehoboth - your romantic place to stay in Rehoboth Beach, and close to all the action of the downtown and the beach. This boutique hotel offers 2-night weekend packages perfect for romance that come with breakfast each morning, shuttle to the beach, wine & cheese evenings plus dinner for two. 2016 Rating* for Romantic Rehoboth Beach, Delaware Hotels: 92% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (247 Rehoboth Ave, Rehoboth Beach DE 877-247-7346)
Romantic Getaways in Delaware Hotels & Cabins
Accommodation choices for romantic getaways in Delaware range from inns and B&B’s to resorts and boutique hotels...
- Bethany Beach Ocean Suites Residence Inn - Bethany Beach's newest romantic hotel is this Marriott on the boardwalk, with private balconies, on-site spa, indoor/outdoor pool and complimentary breakfast. What Other Couples Said: "40th Anniversary Getaway!"..."Location Location"..."Beautiful Getaway Spot". 2016 Rating* for Romantic Bethany Beach, DE Hotels: 99% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (99 Hollywood St, Bethany Beach, DE 302-539-3200)
- The Inn & Spa at Montchanin Village is certainly one of the most romantic hotels with honeymoon suites in Delaware's Brandywine Valley. Rooms feature 19th century antiques, and marble baths for 2 similar to Whirlpool tubs. 2016 Rating* for Romantic Delaware Inns: 86% of Couples Rate It Excellent/Very Good. (Route 100 & Kirk Rd, Montchanin DE 302-888-2133)
- The BellMoor Inn & Spa Packages at Rehoboth Beach is a luxury Delaware beach resort with both weekday and weekend spa packages and wellness programs. Suites feature fireplace, wet bar and hydrotherapy tubs, with downtown Rehoboth Beach shops and restaurants just a short walk away.
- Romantic Dupont Hotel, Wilmington DE - this historic Brandywine Valley Inn gets celebrity stays and great reviews! If you’re planning a Delaware anniversary getaway, they have a package with champagne, dinner for 2 and museum passes.
More Romantic Places in Delaware
Lewes, DE - Just across the bay from Cape May, NJ is Lewes, DE, another romantic Delaware vacation spot. Nice sandy beaches good for swimming and Cape Henlopen State Park are the attractions here.
Romantic Lewes, Delaware Accommodation: try the Inn at Canal Square with their Maritime-themed rooms and romantic packages around the Delaware Coast.
Brandywine Valley, DE – lovely gardens, mansions and estates highlight this area of Delaware.
Dover, DE – numerous museums in this small, quiet city make it the ideal winter weekend getaway in Delaware.
Getting to Delaware:
Travel by Car to Delaware - Distance & Driving Time:
(distances shown are to Dover, DE)
- Distance from New York City to Delaware: 165 miles, 3 hrs
- Distance from Washington DC to Delaware: 95 miles, 2 hrs
- Distance from Philadelphia to Delaware: 80 miles, 90 min
- Distance from Baltimore to Delaware: 100 miles, 2 hrs
*ERV Rating for Couples: Excellent Romantic Vacations unique rating formula for hotels which includes:
- Romantic Amenities: such as Whirlpool
or hot tub suites, scenic views, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families with kids, business travelers, etc)
with Couples & Honeymooners: based on variety of social media & crowd-sourced reviews.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages