By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Aug 3, 2018
You can have a great "holiday for 2" in Oregon - indoors and out! Attractive resort towns, an outstanding scenic coastline, and lots of accessible wilderness make a romantic getaway in Oregon an excellent choice.
And for romantic lodging in Oregon, there's not just the usual choice of B&B's and resorts, because the state has one of the best selections of romantic seaside inns and hotels to be found anywhere. Summer weekends can bring crowds to popular spots, but a quiet beach or town is usually only minutes away.
The Best Time for a Romantic Getaway in Oregon - probably mid-spring (May) or anytime after labor day in September when most vacationers have returned home. But for a winter romantic escape, the Oregon coast is home to some great little inns and guesthouses where you can sip some wine and listen to the crashing surf...
Our choice for one of the top romantic places in Oregon. A journey along the coast here is simply one of the must-see scenic drives in all of the USA. Seaside resort towns, rugged cliffs high above the crashing surf, and of course, outstanding views out over the open ocean.
Astoria - just across the Columbia River from the Washington State border lies Astoria, OR. Its mix of museums, romantic B&B's like Britta's Inn, steep hills and waterfront have earned it the nickname of "Little San Francisco of the Pacific Northwest"!
Our HD Video of the Cannery Pier Hotel In Astoria, OR includes a look at King Room with River View.
Honeymoons in Oregon - Newlyweds interested in Honeymoon Packages in Oregon will want to have a look at the Vintage Plaza Hotel (an historic downtown boutique hotel on Portland). They have several romance packages to complete on your big day.
Oregon Honeymoon Suites - you'll love the Wheeler on the Bay Lodge with their honeymoon hot tub suites on the North Oregon Coast.
1. Multnomah Falls & the Columbia River Gorge - a definite highlight "inland" for any romantic getaway in Oregon. A wonderfully scenic wilderness and outdoor recreation area, with the second highest year-round waterfall in America. After exploring the many nearby hiking trails, wind down with a drink and dinner at the Multnomah Falls Lodge (we hear they have a great champagne Sunday brunch!).
Active couples should visit nearby Hood River, a windsurfing, kayaking and rafting hot spot. The orchards and wineries of the Hood River Valley and a scenic rail journey on the Mt. Hood Railroad are extra reasons for exploring this area.
2. Edgefield Resort - A fun romantic getaway in Oregon would have to be this historic, TV-less, romantic Oregon resort. It's a turn-of-the-century recreation and relaxation playground that includes everything from golf and hiking to live music, movies and shopping.
They've got a choice of Oregon romance packages available to take advantage of the heritage-style rooms, spa facilities and fine dining. The Columbia Gorge Scenic area is only 5 minutes away, and the resort is just 20 minutes from Portland.
3. Willamette Valley Wine Country - How about a little taste of France in Oregon? Following the vineyards along the South Yamhill River is a great romantic day trip from Portland. Just an hour's drive from the city, you'll find rolling hills, sleepy little communities, and some fine Pinot noir as well. There are numerous tasting centers and wine bars, and some relaxed country inns, B&B's and restaurants in and around Newberg and McMinnville.
4. Ashland - This vibrant community just 15 miles from the California border is known for it's fine dining, good selection of romantic hotels and B&B's, and live performances of music and plays, including the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.
5. Crater Lake - Deep, blue and beautiful! Day hikes, wildlife viewing, and exploring the ring road are good ways to experience Oregon's only National Park. For romantic lodging in one of the most secluded spots in Oregon, the Crater Lake Lodge is a natural choice, with gorgeous views of the lake.
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific rating formula for romantic hotels which includes: