Fun & Romantic Getaway Spots Across the USA
Inspiration for a Romantic Getaway in the U.S. - Cities, States, Resort Areas & more
Romantic Vacations Home
Fantastic Rocky Mountain Scenery in Vail, CO
By Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Jun 2, 2018
Need a few nights away just for 2, but not an expensive vacation with a long flight?
Excellent Romantic Vacations is happy to present our guide to romantic getaways in the USA, loaded with tips on attractions and things for couples to see & do in the America's most romantic cities.
ERV's Top 3 Most Romantic Escapes in America
1. New York City - when you boil it right down, no other place on the continent has quite what the Big Apple has in terms of great travel experiences.
There's a never-ending supply of things to do, the variety of food (both cheap eats and fine dining) is always amazing, and the people have a vibrancy unique in the U.S.
2. San Francisco - travelling to San Francisco for a weekend and loving it just never gets old. While other cities seem to struggle and age, there's just more fascinating angles to the Bay Area than ever before. And 100 miles both north and south gives you the gift of awe-inspiring coastlines.
3. New England - picture-perfect villages, scenic roadways, and some of the best B&B accommodation in the country are waiting in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts. And can there be anywhere better to experience the Autumn foliage season?
Romantic Getaway Ideas: State By State
Romantic Route 66 Culture is Alive & Well in Mesa, Arizona
- Arizona's Most Romantic Getaways - Things to see and do for couples in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tucson, Sedona, Lake Havasu, Grand Canyon and more, including luxury ranch, resort and cabin stays, resorts and train trips.
Autumn is an Excellent Time to Experience the Romantic Arkansas Outdoors
- Arkansas Romantic Package Deals - Spa nights, show tickets, all-inclusive wedding & honeymoon packages, secluded lodges and much more, from Arkansas Tourism.
Spectacular Sunshine & Surf, San Clemente, CA
- California's Best Romantic Destinations - comprehensive reports on great spots for couples in Northern, Central and Southern California, with trip ideas and great overnights in beach hotels, resorts, romantic and boutique inns along the coast, in Wine Country, downtowns and much more.
Enjoying the Scenic Views from the Top of Vail, Colorado
- Romantic Denver CO Getaways - Before you head west to the fabulous Rockies, spend a weekend or more in the fun Mile-High capital of Colorado. Find out what to do, where to say, and a place high up where you can sip a cocktail and enjoy a great view.
The Connecticut Coast is One of the Most Romantic in America.
Holding up the City Sign at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
About to Enter the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta, Georgia
- Atlanta, GA for Couples - capital of the New South, Atlanta is home to big names like CNN and Coke, as well as gorgeous parks and top restaurants. We include tips on weekend itineraries and B&B's you'll love.
Mountain Scenery, Activities and Attractive Small Towns Make North Idaho a Great Destination.
Scenic & Secluded Viewpoint Near Galena, IL
- Romantic Illinois Getaways - Galena, IL accommodation, day trips from Chicago, and a restored drive-in movie theatre you will love!
- Chicago Getaways for Couples - Everything to make a weekend escape to the Windy City unforgettable. And discover a cheaper way to enjoy a romantic dinner with a 95th floor view!
Indiana's Romantic Spots Include the Fabulous Lake Michigan Shoreline
- Indiana Romantic Getaways - Romance hotel packages and perfect places to stay in Northern and South Central Indiana, including Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, French Lick and Indiana Dunes.
The Waterfront in Annapolis is one of Maryland's Most Romantic Places
- Maryland Romantic Vacations - Grab a crab cake lunch by the water in Annapolis, ride an oceanfront Ferris Wheel in Ocean City, and overnight in a romantic hotel or honeymoon B&B.
- Budget Maryland Romantic Hotels - inexpensive but great for couples getaways, check out the savings on stays at the Crown Plaza Annapolis and Admiral fell Inn.
Explore Boston's 2000+ Acres of Parks and Green Areas
- Romantic Boston Getaways - this most attractive New England city offers travelling couples beautiful parks, cobblestone streets, and a pub or two to explore.
Mackinac Island is One of Michigan's Most Romantic Destinations
Romantic Lake Calhoun is a Great Spot in Minneapolis, MN
Lots for Couples to See & Explore in St. Louis, MO
- Romantic Getaway in Missouri - affordable weekend getaways in Branson and St. Louis, secluded cabins, Missouri Wine Country and historic St. Charles, MO.
- Romantic St.Louis Hotel Deals - inexpensive getaways in romantic hotels and inns like the Four Seasons St. Louis, Moonrise Hotel, and Napolean's Retreat B&B.
Las Vegas NV Hotels and Resorts on the World-Famous Strip at Night
- Romantic Las Vegas Vacations - Las Vegas is loud and bright, but there's a refined side to it too. We list 5 Romantic things to do, plus survey which resorts on the Strip rate the best for honeymoons and couples getaways.
People Watching on the New Jersey Boardwalk near Cape May, NJ
- New Jersey Romantic Getaways - weekend vacation tips on New Jersey's best oceanfront destinations for couples, as well as some very quaint Cape May and Frenchtown B&B's.
Beautiful Colors Make Autumn a Romantic Time to Visit Upstate New York
- New York State Romantic Getaways - we look at Upstate NY excursions to the Adirondacks and Hudson Valley, and discover some Catskills covered bridges near a cozy little inn.
- Long Island, NY - need a break from the Big Apple? Head east to the Hamptons with these ideas on romantic lodging, places to eat and what to do.
Take Your Romantic Escape to the Great Outdoors in North Carolina
- Best Romantic North Carolina Getaways - hotels and cabins close to the Blue Ridge Mountains, plus all kinds of ideas for romantic weekends in cities like Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham and Chapel Hill, NC.
Columbus is a Great Destination for a Weekend Getaway in Ohio
- Ohio's Best Romantic Getaways - Plan a romantic getaway in Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland or Hocking Hills, OH, plus explore Ohio inns, cabins and cottages perfect for a couples midwest getaway.
Oklahoma is Home to Great Outdoor Festivals, BBQ Restaurants, and Romantic Waterfalls.
- Oklahoma Romantic Getaways - check out some fun things for 2 to do in OK City, Tulsa and more, plus romantic accommodation in hotels, inns and cabins for a getaway to remember.
The Oregon Coast - One of the Best Coastal Romantic Getaways in the U.S.
- Oregon Romantic Vacations - the crashing Pacific is at it's very best in Cannon Beach and Astoria! Or you can relax for the weekend in Oregon's Willamette Valley Wine Country.
- Portland, OR - great place for a NW romantic getaway! Close to the Coast, plus excellent dining and hotels. An afternoon stroll in Forest Park is on the must-do list here.
Pennsylvania's attractions include some great city experiences in both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh (above)
- Pennsylvania Getaways for Couples - our guide to Pennsylvania's things to do for couples includes covered bridges, Pennsylvania Wine Country, Amish Country and New Hope, PA.
Myrtle Beach's SkyWheel - A Great Place for a Fun & Romantic View of the South Carolina Coast
- Myrtle Beach Romantic Getaways - escape to Myrtle Beach for a relaxing and quiet(er) couples holiday in this super-popular strip of the South Carolina Coast.
Restaurants, Nightlife & The Blues - Beale Street in Memphis
- Tennessee's Best Romantic Getaways - explore some great getaways for couples in Tennessee's great cities and romantic Smoky Mountains, with ideas for hotels, inns, cabins and cottages.
The Dance Hall at Gruene in Romantic Texas Hill Country
- Texas Romantic Getaways & Vacations - Travel & reconnect in destinations like San Antonio, Dallas TX and Texas Hill Country. Romantic Hotels & Inns, plus places to eat, sights & overnight packages.
- Vermont Romantic Getaways - Unforgettable autumn foliage, great mountain getaway resorts, the coziest B&B', and incredibly romantic small towns and villages all over VT.
One of Virginia's Many Scenic Byways Showing It's Autumn Colors
Washington DC Has a Great Mix of Activities, Modern History and Dining
Colorful Alpine Town of Leavenworth, Washington
- Seattle, WA - wander through Pike Place Market, or spend the day relaxing on Bainbridge Island. If you love coffee, make time for a sip or two at a local cafe.
- Spokane, WA - heritage hotels, beautiful waterfalls and good dining await in this mid-size Eastern Washington State city.
Quiet Afternoon Getaway on the Grass in Madison, Wisconsin
- Milwaukee, WI - more than just brewery tours, Milwaukee's got a great Riverwalk, scenic Lakefront spots and top-rated dining waiting to be explored.
ERV's Tips for Better Travel
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages