Romantic Getaways in Virginia from the Mountains to the Sea
FTC: This page uses affiliate links. More.
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Jul 15, 2023
“Virginia is for lovers” - find out why! Not too many states can boast an equally fantastic coastline and mountain range, but "Old Dominion" can. Were talking scenic drives, boat cruises, historic homes, mountain retreats, wineries, beaches and much more.
Great Place for a Romantic Stroll - The Virginia Beach Boardwalk
Best Time to Visit Virginia: In the hilly western part of the state, early October shows off autumn foliage at it's very best. Late spring to early summer is a good bet for coastal areas, but the peak of summer can bring crowds, heat and high humidity to beach areas.
Virginia winters can get quite cold and some attractions and accommodations close during those months.
Romantic Getaways in Virginia Beach
The Virginia Beach Boardwalk is lined with oceanfront hotels, resorts and restaurants. It's a fun place to spend a few nights, with the Atlantic breeze in your hair and a nice sandy beach across the street. And don't miss the Vibe Creative District with it's oceanfront cafe's and galleries.
marriott virginia beach oceanfront
Pool Area at the Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
- Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront - Our top recommendation for a romantic getaway in Virginia Beach. Year-round swimming with indoor/outdoor pools, private beach area with loungers, and updated rooms with 55-inch HDTV and HBO are just the start of amenities here. What Other Guests Liked: Fantastic ocean views...Rooftop sushi bar...Fire pits and bike rentals. 2023 ERV Rating*: 82% - Very Good. Rates from $202/night. (4201 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach VA 757-937-4200)
courtyard virginia beach oceanfront
Room at the Courtyard Virginia Beach
Courtyard Virginia Beach Pool
- Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront - Honeymooners in Virginia Beach will love the romantic 1 bedroom ocean view suites (with private balcony and HDTV) at this budget-friendly Marriott hotel. What Other Guests Liked: Poolside bar...Lobby Bistro Cafe with Starbucks Coffee...Fresh, clean, comfortable rooms. 2023 ERV Rating* for Virginia Beach Romantic Hotels: 80% - Very Good. Rates from $156/night. (3737 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach VA 757-437-0098)
Shenandoah Valley romantic inns
Boutique Hotel Laurance, Luray VA
Romantic Room - Hotel Laurance
- Hotel Laurance - Romantic boutique hotel in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. The twelve rooms and suites here are all recently refreshed and tastefully themed, with amenities like full kitchens, clawfoot tubs, quiet A/C and more. You can walk to downtown Luray shops and restaurants, with the National Park just a 15 minute drive away. What Other Guests Liked: Luxurious Vibe...Nice Bedding...Good Value. 2023 ERV Rating*: 84% - Very Good. Rates from $179/night. (2 South Court St, Luray VA 540-742-7060)
l'Auberge Provencale B&B
Room at the L'Auberge Provençale B&B
Romantic Veranda at the L'Auberge Provençale
- L'Auberge Provençale Bed and Breakfast - Plan a unforgettably romantic weekend getaway in Virginia with a stay in this enchanting Shenandoah Valley B&B. Blend French country comfort, romance and luxury with a stay in this true Auberge just over the mountain from Washington DC. Superb French cuisine, an award winning wine list, and attentive, gracious service await. 2023 ERV Rating* for Romantic Virginia Inns: 88% - Very Good. (13630 Lord Fairfax Hwy, White Post VA 540-837-1375) √ COVID Safety Plan: Yes
Chincoteague Island, VA
hampton inn chincoteague island
Hampton Inn Waterfront Suites on Chincoteague Island
- Hampton Inn Romantic Chincoteague Island VA Waterfront Hotel - What Other Couples Liked: Breakfast Outdoors in the Summer - Panoramic Water Views - King Rooms That Overlook the Bay. 2023 ERV Rating* for Romantic Virginia Waterfront Hotels: 94% - Excellent. (4179 Main St, Chincoteague VA 757-336-1616) √ COVID Safety Plan: Yes
more Romantic Virginia Hotel Getaways
omni homestead resort
Pool Time at the Omni Homestead Resort, Hot Springs VA
- The Omni Homestead Resort - One of the most romantic resorts in VA, the Homestead is nestled deep in the Allegheny Mountains and has everything for a wonderful weekend getaway. There's luxury rooms, plus dining & music, shopping, movies, fishing, outdoor pool and romantic carriage rides. Homestead Spa has been described as “one of the most historic day spa resorts in Virginia”. 2023 ERV Rating* for Romantic Virginia Resorts: 78% - Good. (7696 Sam Snead Hwy, Hot Springs VA 800-838-1766) √ COVID Safety Plan: Yes
- Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown - What Other Guests Liked: Walking Distance to the Waterfront and Restaurants - Comfortable Beds - Free Buffet Breakfast. 2023 ERV Rating* for Norfolk VA Romantic Hotels: 82% - Very Good. (227 W. Brambleton Ave, Norfolk VA 757-842-6216) √ COVID Safety Plan: Yes
- Linden Row Inn - What Other Guests Liked: Rocking Chairs on the Porch - Urban Farmhouse Restaurant - Spacious Rooms, Tasteful Decor. 2023 ERV Rating* for Norfolk VA Romantic Hotels: 88% - Very Good. (100 East Franklin St, Richmond VA 804-783-7000) √ COVID Safety Plan: Yes
- Oakhurst Inn Charlottesville VA - What Other Guests Liked: Short Drive to Several Wineries - Evening Turndown Service with Ginger Cookies - Wonderful Boutique Hotel. 2023 ERV Rating* for Romantic Virginia Wine Country Inns: 90% - Excellent. (100 Oakhurst Circle, Charlottesville VA 434-872-0100) √ COVID Safety Plan: Yes
- Hampton Inn & Suites Roanoke Downtown - What Other Guests Liked: Views of Mountains and Downtown - Easy Walk to Restaurants, Shops and Farmer's Market - Good Breakfast, Good Wi-Fi. 2023 ERV Rating* for Roanoke VA Romantic Getaways: 90% - Excellent. (27 Church Ave Southeast, Roanoke VA 540-400-6000) √ COVID Safety Plan: Yes
More Romantic Trips In & Near Virginia:
Virginia Romantic Cabin & Cottage Getaways
Romantic Virginia Log Cabin Bedroom
Living Area in a Luxury Virginia Cabin Rental
- Romantic Shenandoah Mountains Cabins - spectacular log cabins, cottages and loft apartments in and near Virginia's gorgeous Shenandoah Valley. Many units offer private hot tubs, scenic views, wood burning fireplace and more.
More Romantic Travel Ideas for Virginia
Virginia's Shenandoah Mountains
Vineyard in Virginia Wine Country
- Virginia Wine Country - not just any collection of vineyards! Wine tasting and touring in Virginia can include exploring historic sites and ruins, kayaking, even sipping a "Painted Red" at Dave Mathews Blenheim Vineyards winery (that's right, from the Dave Mathews band!). See virginiawine.org for maps, tours etc.
- Covered Bridges in Virginia – Turn-of-the-century bridges (only 8 left!) make for a great romantic picnic excursion!
- Tall Ship Cruise in Norfolk – American Rover has cruises in a 19th-century schooner. Sunset and late-night dancing cruises available too.
- Old Cape Henry Lighthouse tour at Fort Story.
- Romantic Things to Do in the Shenandoah Valley - hiking, horseback riding, enjoying the color of the fall leaves, and some of the best scenic drives in Virginia, including Skyline Drive, with it’s astounding views of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Virginia romance Package
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific ratings for romantic accommodation include:
- Amenities: including Whirlpool bath or JACUZZI® Tub, scenic view, fireplace, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families, business travelers, etc)
- Popularity: based on social media & crowd-sourced reviews
- Value: product offered compared to room rate
- Please Note: percentage ratings are not absolute but for comparative use only
top hotels, getaways & packages on ERV