Romantic Getaways in Virginia from the Mountains to the Sea
Virginia's Most Romantic Scenic Drives, Cabins, Oceanfront Hotels & more
Romantic Vacations Home
Great Place for a Romantic Stroll - The Virginia Beach Boardwalk
By Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Apr 24, 2018
“Virginia is for lovers” - find out why! Not too many states can boast an equally fantastic coastline and mountain range, but "Old Dominion" can. Were talking scenic drives, boat cruises, historic homes, mountain retreats, wineries, beaches and much more.
Best Time to Visit Virginia: In the hilly western part of the state, early October shows off autumn foliage at it's very best. Late spring to early summer is a good bet for coastal areas, but the peak of summer can bring crowds, heat and high humidity to beach areas.
Virginia winters can get quite cold and some attractions and accommodations close during those months.
Romantic Getaways in Virginia Beach
The Virginia Beach Boardwalk is lined with oceanfront hotels, resorts and restaurants. It's a fun place to spend a few nights, with the Atlantic breeze in your hair and a nice sandy beach across the street. And don't miss the Vibe Creative District with it's oceanfront cafe's and galleries.
Room at the Courtyard Virginia Beach
Courtyard Virginia Beach Pool
- Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North - honeymooners in Virginia Beach will love the romantic 1 bedroom ocean view suites (with private balcony and HDTV) at this inexpensive Marriott hotel. 2018 ERV Rating* for Virginia Beach Romantic Hotels: 80% - Very Good. (3737 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach VA 757-437-0098)
- The Breaker's Resort Inn - for romance getaways on a budget, this oceanfront hotel on Atlantic avenue has anniversary packages, in-room hot tubs and more. 2018 ERV Rating* for Virginia Beach Romantic Inns: 84% - Very Good. (16th & Oceanfront, Virginia Beach VA 757-428-1821)
- Romantic Restaurants in Virginia Beach - try one of the seafood restaurants on Atlantic Ave, or the 11th floor view of the beach at Orion’s restaurant at the Cavalier Hotel.
Romantic Virginia Hotel & Inn Getaways
- Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown - What Other Couples Liked: Walking Distance to the Waterfront and Restaurants - Comfortable Beds - Free Buffet Breakfast. 2018 ERV Rating* for Norfolk VA Romantic Hotels: 80% - Very Good. (227 W. Brambleton Ave, Norfolk VA 757-842-6216)
- Linden Row Inn - What Other Couples Liked: Rocking Chairs on the Porch - Urban Farmhouse Restaurant - Spacious Rooms, Tasteful Decor. 2018 ERV Rating* for Norfolk VA Romantic Hotels: 84% - Very Good. (100 East Franklin St, Richmond VA 804-783-7000)
- Oakhurst Inn Charlottesville VA - What Other Couples Liked: Short Drive to Several Wineries - Evening Turndown Service with Ginger Cookies - Wonderful Boutique Hotel. 2018 ERV Rating* for Romantic Virginia Wine Country Inns: 88% - Very Good. (100 Oakhurst Circle, Charlottesville VA 434-872-0100)
- Hampton Inn & Suites Roanoke Downtown - What Other Couples Liked: Views of Mountains and Downtown - Easy Walk to Restaurants, Shops and Farmer's Market - Good Breakfast, Good Wi-Fi. 2018 ERV Rating* for Roanoke VA Romantic Getaways: 96% - Excellent. (27 Church Ave Southeast, Roanoke VA 540-400-6000)
Chincoteague Island, VA
- Hampton Inn Romantic Chincoteague Island VA Waterfront Hotel - What Other Couples Liked: Breakfast Outdoors in the Summer - Panoramic Water Views - King Rooms That Overlook the Bay. 2018 ERV Rating* for Romantic Virginia Waterfront Hotels: 96% - Excellent. (4179 Main St, Chincoteague VA 757-336-1616)
Shenandoah Valley Luxury B&B
Room at the L'Auberge Provençale B&B
Romantic Veranda at the L'Auberge Provençale
- L'Auberge Provençale Bed and Breakfast - plan a unforgettably romantic weekend getaway in Virginia with a stay in this enchanting Shenandoah Valley B&B. Blend French country comfort, romance and luxury with a stay in this true Auberge just over the mountain from Washington DC. Superb French cuisine, an award winning wine list, and attentive, gracious service await. 2017 Rating* for Romantic Virginia Inns: 90% of Couples Rate it Excellent/Very Good (13630 Lord Fairfax Hwy, White Post, VA 800-638-1702)
- The Homestead Resort - one of the most romantic resorts in VA, the Homestead is nestled deep in the Allegheny Mountains and has everything for a wonderful weekend getaway. There's luxury rooms, plus dining & music, shopping, movies, fishing, and romantic carriage rides. Homestead Spa has been described as “one of the most historic day spa resorts in Virginia”.
More Romantic Trips In & Near Virginia:
Virginia Romantic Cabin & Cottage Getaways
Romantic Virginia Log Cabin Bedroom
Living Area in a Luxury Virginia Cabin Rental
- Romantic Shenandoah Mountains Cabins - spectacular log cabins, cottages and loft apartments in and near Virginia's gorgeous Shenandoah Valley. Many units offer private hot tubs, scenic views, wood burning fireplace and more.
More Romantic Travel Ideas for Virginia
Virginia's Shenandoah Mountains
Vineyard in Virginia Wine Country
Virginia Wine Country - not just any collection of vineyards! Wine tasting and touring in Virginia can include exploring historic sites and ruins, kayaking, even sipping a "Painted Red" at Dave Mathews Blenheim Vineyards winery (that's right, from the Dave Mathews band!). See virginiawine.org for maps, tours etc.
Covered Bridges in Virginia – Turn-of-the-century bridges (only 8 left!) make for a great romantic picnic excursion!
Tall Ship Cruise in Norfolk – American Rover has cruises in a 19th-century schooner. Sunset and late-night dancing cruises available too.
Old Cape Henry Lighthouse tour at Fort Story.
Romantic Things to Do in the Shenandoah Valley - hiking, horseback riding, enjoying the color of the fall leaves, and some of the best scenic drives in Virginia, including Skyline Drive, with it’s astounding views of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Virginia Anniversary Package
The Afton Mountain Bed and Breakfast is located in
the spectacular Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. The town of Afton is only 20 miles from
Charlottsville where you can take beautiful scenic drives and enjoy wineries
and many cultural activities.
- Romantic Virginia Anniversary B&B Package - is $115 plus room costs. There's five unique rooms (we just love the Jefferson room), and then enjoy a bottle of wine from one of the local
wineries (you choose), fresh flowers (or a cake for two for those not on
diets!) breakfast for two each morning, and $50 towards dinner for two at one
of the local restaurants. Call 800-769-6844 for more information.
*ERV Rating for Couples: our unique rating formula for romantic hotels which includes:
- Romantic Amenities: such as an in-suite JACUZZI® tub or Whirlpool bath, scenic view, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families with kids, business travelers, etc)
with Couples & Honeymooners: based on variety of social media & crowd-sourced reviews.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages