Plan a perfect Pennsylvania Romantic Getaway
FTC: This page uses affiliate links. More.
Romantic Vacations Home
Pennsylvania's Romantic & Scenic Amish Country
By: Maureen Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Sep 7, 2020
state of Pennsylvania is one of the most romantic destinations for couples in the Eastern USA.
There's a wide range of scenic spots, wine trails, attractive towns and villages, and a big selection of romantic B&B's and inns near great places to stay like New Hope, Amish Country and Lancaster, PA.
Best Time for a Pennsylvania Romantic Getaway: October and November are autumn foliage season in Pennsylvania, and the fiery forests add to the romance of the land. Winter brings cold temps and some snow, usually more in the western side of the state. You can enjoy a getaway any time of the year, although summer brings the usual crowds of tourists to Dutch Country.
12 Romantic Spots in Pennsylvania:
Whirlpool Tub - Brandywine River Hotel
- Brandywine River Hotel - Conveniently close to all the local attractions, the Brandywine River Hotel is a great choice for your romantic stay in historic Chadds Ford. Breakfast is included in your stay, as is Wi-Fi, fitness center and parking. Upgrade to the King room with fireplace and Whirlpool tub. 2020 ERV Rating*: 76% - Good. (1609 Baltimore Pike, Chadds Ford PA 610-388-1200)
Fairville Inn, Chadds Ford, PA
- Fairville Inn - Once an 1820’s-era farmhouse on the National Register of Historic Places, now a super-romantic B&B in the bucolic landscape of Chadds Ford. Enjoy the Chef-prepared breakfast, afternoon, high end linens, robes, and toiletries. Fresh flowers in your room along with free Wi-FI are added perks. 2020 ERV Rating*: 88% - Very Good. (506 Kennett Pike Route 52, Chadds Ford PA 610-379-3707)
Romantic Things to Do in Brandywine Valley, PA:
1. Experience Longwood Gardens botanical garden in Kennett Square. Stay until dark to see the fountains set to music.
2. Discover the history and cuisine of Kennett Square on a 3-hour Sunday walking food tour.
3. Tour Southeastern Pennsylvania wineries. Scenic wine trails and tasting tours in PA are particularly attractive during the autumn foliage season.
New Hope, PA Romantic Getaways
Quaint New Hope, PA is one of the top vacation spots in Pennsylvania for couples. It’s perfectly situated on the banks of the Delaware River, with lots to see and do, and you can pretty much walk everywhere!
Golden Plough Inn
Room at the Golden Plough Inn
- Golden Plough Inn at Peddler's Village - In the heart of Buck's County's Peddler's Village, the Golden Plough is a fine destination for a Pennsylvania getaway. Rooms & suites offer colonial stylings with amenities like Whirlpool tubs, gas fireplaces and Wi-Fi. Spa services are available, and there's beer & wine available for purchase in the lobby area. 2020 ERV Rating*: 82% - Very Good. (5883 Lower York Rd, New Hope PA 215-794-4004)
- The Inn at Bowman's Hill - one of New Hope, Pennsylvania's most
romantic Bed and Breakfasts. Selected by Forbes
Traveler's Ten Most Romantic
B&B’s in the USA, Europe and Mexico. Located in the beautiful Delaware Valley, this romantic PA inn offers luxury jetted tub suites, as well as engagement, honeymoon and anniversary packages. It's the only AAA
4-Diamond lodging in Bucks County, and is just 90 minutes from New
York City and 40 minutes from Philadelphia. 2020 ERV Rating*: 96% - Excellent. (518 Lurgan Rd, New Hope, PA 215-862-8090)
Romantic Things to Do in New Hope, PA:
aboard the Mule barge on the Delaware River, or opt instead for a tranquil
the autumn foliage on the New Hope & Ivyland Steam Train
through the galleries, craft shops and markets along the canal and on Main
for a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride
5. In the evening, dine in one of the many
romantic restaurants in New Hope, PA such as Odette's (romantic dining on the
riverbank of the Delaware River, 215-862-2432) or at La Terraza (cozy Italian
eatery by the canal, 215-862-6121).
6. Explore nearby Doylestown in Bucks County, PA. Outdoor activities abound here, and there's plenty of small country inns for a fun weekend getaway from Philadelphia.
Romantic Places in Lancaster County
The farmland and rolling hills of Lancaster County’s Amish Country offer some of the best and most romantic scenic drives in Pennsylvania. You’ll pass farmers in their fields, covered bridges, and small, romantic towns like Bird-in-Hand and Intercourse, PA.
- King's Cottage B&B - several rooms here with Whirlpool tubs
and a fireplace. You'll love this turn-of-the-century Spanish mansion's Sun
Room with a jet spa tub! (1049 East King St, Lancaster, PA 717-397-1017)
- After Eight Bed and Breakfast - in Amish Country PA, has been gathering up some pretty loyal clientele (one couple called it the "creme del la creme" of romantic inns!) Close to area attractions, this inn has Whirlpool tubs and free Wi-Fi. (2942 Lincoln Hwy East, Gordonville, PA 888-314-3664)
things to do in Lancaster county
1. Check out a farmer’s market for tasty produce, some Shoofly Pie or local Dutch Country wine.
2. Go for a romantic ride in an Amish buggy! (we can suggest Abe's Buggy Rides, 2596 Old Philadelphia Pike, Bird-in-Hand, PA 717-392-1794)
3. Take a driving tour through Pennsylvania's covered bridges. You'll still find over 200 covered bridges scattered throughout the state, and 29 in Lancaster County alone. Make the "Kissing Bridges" a part of your Pennsylvania anniversary or honeymoon!
Romantic Emig Mansion B&B Near York, PA
- Emig Mansion B&B - Just 3 miles north of York, this Victorian B&B, built in the 1850’s, features marble tiled fireplaces, parquet floors, columns, stained glass windows and handcrafted mouldings. There's seven unique theme rooms, air conditioning, Wi-Fi and common areas that include twin parlours, library, dining rooms, porch, gardens and koi ponds. We love the window seat and garden views of Belle’s Garden Overlook. 2020 ERV Rating*: 96% - Excellent. (3342 North George St, Emigsville, PA 410-808-4462)
- Hampton Inn And Suites York South - Convenient location just off I-83, with easy access to shopping, parks and wineries, and walking distance to restaurants makes this Hampton Inn a romantic place to stay in South York, PA. Kitchenettes available in the spacious suites and Wi-Fi, hot breakfast, use of fitness center and indoor pool are included with all rooms. 2020 ERV Rating*: 96% - Excellent. (2159 S Queen St, York PA 717-741-0900)
Romantic Things to do in York PA:
1. Get spectacular views of York’s historic architecture from a hot air balloon with AE Balloon Flights.
2. Explore parts of the Mason-Dixon Wine trail in the area’s vineyards.
3. Take a picnic lunch to Lake Redman and spend some time along the shore.
Lake Erie, PA
Courtyard by Marriott Erie Bayfront
Infinity Pool - Courtyard Erie Bayfront
- Courtyard by Marriott Erie Bayfront - A waterfront retreat located on Sassafras Pier overlooking The Presque Isle Bay. In addition to breathtaking views, the hotel offers free Wi-Fi, fitness center, hot tub, and a gorgeous waterfront infinity pool. The Shoreline Bar and Grille is great for watching sunsets over the Bay. 2020 ERV Rating*: 90% - Excellent. (2 Sassafras Pier, Erie PA 855-821-4553)
- Spencer House Romantic Erie PA Bed and Breakfast - Originally built in 1876, the restored Victorian mansion is located on Historic Millionaire's Row. It’s conveniently close to downtown restaurants and attractions. A full hot breakfast is served each morning, and little extras, such as chocolates, rose petals strewn across the bed or a bottle of wine can be arranged in advance. The Captain’s Room on the third floor includes a 2-person Whirlpool Tub. 2020 ERV Rating*: 96% - Excellent. (519 W 6th St, Erie, PA 16507-1128)
Lake Erie PA Romantic Things to Do:
1. Relax on the seashore at Preque Isle State Park, a huge sandy peninsula jutting out into Lake Erie. Visit the historic lighthouse or take a sunset boat tour.
2. Drive the Lake Erie Wine Trail and tour over 20 award-winning vineyards.
Inn at Lincoln Square, Gettysburg PA
Romantic Room in Gettysburg, PA
- Inn at Lincoln Square - Located right on historic Lincoln Square, this 5-suite brick building dates back to the Civil War. It’s within walking distance to shops and restaurants, and includes breakfast. Each suite offers full kitchen facilities and access to the comfy courtyard. 2020 ERV Rating*: 94% - Excellent. (12 Lincoln Sq, Gettysburg PA 717-353-2471)
- Federal Pointe Inn - This restored 19th century school is now a luxurious boutique hotel in the heart of downtown Gettysburg. Art gallery, fitness center, and afternoon tea are available. Parking and Wi-Fi are included, and each room has a mini-refrigerator and coffee maker. The 1 bedroom suites with King bed feature 2-person Whirlpool tubs. 2020 ERV Rating*: 94% - Excellent. (75 Springs Ave, Gettysburg PA 717-334-7800)
Romantic Things to Do in Gettysburg:
1. Tour the Jennie Wade House or Shriver House Museum and learn about the famous Battle of Gettysburg.
2. See the picturesque Sachs Covered Bridge. Its spans a slow-running creek and is great for photographs.
- Red Umbrella B&B - Just 7 miles from Hershey, and a short drive to Lancaster, Gettysburg and other PA attractions, the historic brick home was originally built in 1845. Just three rooms (the largest features a spacious Whirlpool tub), full breakfast, and plenty of serenity. 2020 ERV Rating*: 96% - Excellent. (9866 Jonestown Road, Grantville PA 717-315-6276)
- The Londonderry Inn - Beautifully restored 1840’s era home with stately bedrooms, 10 foot ceilings and beautifully manicured grounds. There are five themed rooms (check out the Whirlpool tub in the honeymoon-ready Africa Room!) and breakfast is served in either the parlour or outdoor patio. 2020 ERV Rating*: 96% - Very Good. (2764 Horseshoe Pike, Palmyra PA 717-838-7500 - Approx 7 min drive from Hershey. )
romantic Things to do in hershey, pa:
(It’s not ALL about the chocolate!)
1. Take a romantic stroll through Hershey Gardens. Open year ‘round since 1937, it’s got amazing butterfly and tropical plant displays.
2. Pack a picnic lunch and visit Cullary Vineyards and Winery. Be sure to try the Coco Nostra chocolate wine!
valley forge, pa
Pool at the Best Western Plus Inn at King of Prussia
- Best Western Plus The Inn at King of Prussia - Easily accessible from a major gateway into King of Prussia, the Best Western Plus is newly renovated in all public areas, and boasts a new state-of-the-art fitness centre. Your stay includes hot breakfast buffet, Wi-Fi and parking. Select King Suites include Whirlpool Tubs, and there’s an outdoor pool, hot tub and fire pit in the large landscaped courtyard. 2020 ERV Rating*: 82% - Very Good. (27 S Gulph Rd, King of Prussia PA 866-237-636)
- Alpenhof B&B - The Alpenhof is a luxuriously renovated inn that was once a stone barn. Choose from 6 themed rooms and a private cottage. Parking, Wi-Fi, use of bicycles and gourmet breakfast are all included. The grounds and flower gardens surrounding the pool are stunning, and the inn is just 10 miles from Philadelphia International Airport in beautiful Upper Providence Township. 2020 ERV Rating*: 98% - Excellent. (2001 N Ridley Creek Rd, Media, PA 610-891-8222)
Valley Forge, Pa Romantic Things to Do:
1. Visit Valley Forge National Park and tour Washington’s Headquarters at the historic Isaac Potts House.
2. Take the quirky American Treasure Tour just west of the park in Montgomery County. Experience every variety of pop culture as you take the tram ride through this fun collection.
Bethlehem - Allentown
- Hotel Bethlehem - Step back in time to the early 1900s at the newly renovated Hotel Bethlehem in the heart of the town’s historic district. Just steps away from quaint shops and boutiques, museums and restaurants, there are 125 rooms and suites each elegantly appointed for a romantic getaway. There are two restaurants on site serving award-winning cuisine. Since 1922, people like Thomas Edison, Winston Churchill and Henry Ford have chosen the Hotel Bethlehem for their Lehigh Valley vacation. 2020 ERV Rating*: 92% - Excellent. (437 Main St, Bethlehem PA 610-557-0800)
- Sayre Mansion Inn - There are 22 guest rooms and one suite in this boutique hotel that is featured on the National Register of Historic Houses. Located in the wealthy fountain Hill neighbourhood of Bethlehem PA, the hotel offers luxurious accommodations, historic charm, free WiFi and a hearty buffet breakfast. The Conservatory Room on the top floor just has to be experienced, with it’s glass greenhouse paneling over the entire ceiling, trickling fountain and Whirlpool Tub. 2020 ERV Rating*: 90% - Excellent. (250 Wyandotte St, Bethlehem PA 610-882-2100)
Romantic Things to Do in Allentown & Bethlehem PA:
1. For some refreshing nature time, visit Allentown Rose Gardens or picnic at Illick’s Mill Park.
2. Get a bit of history at the Hoover Mason Trestle or Colonial Industrial Quarter.
Romantic Inn at Jim Thorp Boutique Hotel near the Pocono Mountains
- The Inn At Jim Thorpe - The picturesque town of Jim Thorpe is home to this cozy inn located in the downtown historic district. Originally built in 1849, it’s full of old world charm and mere steps away from shops pubs, galleries and hiking trails. A variety of rooms and suites are located in 3 historic buildings and feature romantic touches like jetted tubs and fireplaces. Onsite spa and restaurant ensure convenience and relaxation. 2020 ERV Rating*: 90% - Excellent. (24 Broadway, Jim Thorpe PA 800-329-2599)
- The Hampton Inn Tunkhannock - Right on Route 6 and just down the road from a local vineyard and winery, The Hampton Inn Tunkhannock is consistently popular with couples visiting the area. Hot breakfast, indoor pool, workout room, Wi-Fi and comfortable rooms equipped with microwaves and refrigerators keep them coming back year after year. Make use of the nearby walking trail. 2020 ERV Rating*: 96% - Excellent. (209 E Tioga St, Tunkhannock PA 570-996-5866)
romantic adventures in the Poconos
1. Take in the captivating beauty of the Poconos Mountains from the air with Sunset Air Tours.
2. View some amazing waterfalls: Hawk Falls at Hickory Run State Park is spectacular. Or visit Bushkill Falls, also known as the Niagara of Pennsylvania.
Room - Homewood Suites Harrisburg
- Homewood Suites Harrisburg East-Hershey Area - You'll love Homewood Suites free hot breakfast, and the chain also offers weekday evening socials featuring complimentary beer, wine and a selection of food. Comfortable rooms include a refrigerator, Wi-Fi and parking, and there’s an indoor pool and outdoor recreation area as well. 2020 ERV Rating*: 94% - Excellent. (3990 TecPort Dr, Harrisburg, PA 717-909-4663 )
Romantic Manor on Front B&B
- The Manor on Front Bed and Breakfast - Six smoke-free guest rooms await you at this riverfront B&B, along with library and fireplace, living room, courtyard and garden full of mature trees. Free Wi-Fi, parking, and a full breakfast each morning with coffee and tea are provided. Unbeatable views of the Susquehanna river and sunset included! 2020 ERV Rating*: 96% - Excellent. (2917 N. Front St, Harrisburg PA 717-884-9596)
Romantic Things to See & Do In Harrisburg PA:
1. Visit the State Capital Complex with its grand staircase designed after the Paris Opera House, and giant dome a scale replica of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome.
2. Learn some area history at Fort Hunter Mansion and Park and/or John Harris and Simon Cameron Mansion. Both sit on the Susquehanna River and give a glimpse of life in the 1700s.
3. Book a Pride of the Susquehanna Riverboat Cruise. One of the only remaining paddle-wheel riverboats in the US, you’ll get a great view of the Harrisburg skyline along with a narrated tour.
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
- The Settlers Inn - An authentic 1920’s Arts & Crafts Lodge on at the top of Main Street in Hawley. Twenty-three rooms feature fireplaces and whirlpool tubs. The onsite restaurant and tavern serve gourmet meals and there is a lovely garden in the back with access to a stream running through the property. 2020 ERV Rating*: 90% - Excellent. (4 Main Ave, Hawley PA 570-226-2993)
- Ledges Hotel - Ledges is the sister property of Settler’s Inn and is part of a converted glass factory dating back to the 1890s. It is a resort hotel set amidst natural stone ledges of the river gorge waterfalls. Tiered sun terraces provide spectacular views of this gorgeous setting. Daily activities such as wine tasting, kayaking and fitness classes are offered. Onsite Glass Restaurant has great food and the Great Room has expansive views and a huge stone fireplace. Just 11km from Lake Wallenpaupack. 2020 ERV Rating*: 90% - Excellent. (119 Falls Ave, Hawley PA 570-226-1337)
Romantic Things to do around Lake Wallenpaupack:
1. See why Lake Wallenpaupack is such a popular year ‘round attraction with a 50-minute excursion from Wallenpaupack Boat Tours. Or rent out a kayak and do it yourself.
2. Explore a secluded mountain top on horseback with Triple W Riding Stables, and take in the spectacular views.
3. Go antiquing in the quaint shops in Hawley.
PA Honeymoon suites & cottages
Honeymoon Suites - a luxury honeymoon in Pennsylvania doesn't have to be expensive: check out these romantic Pennsylvania honeymoon hot tub suites in many of the states best spots, including Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, the Poconos and more.
- PA Cottages - the Olde Stone Cottage certainly rates as one of the most romantic cottages in Pennsylvania. Opened new in 2006, it features a fireplace and whirlpool tub. And from the side porch you can watch the Amish carriages travel down main street in Lancaster County, PA. (117 East Main St, Terre Hill, PA 888-999-4479)
More Getaways Near Pennsylvania:
Pennsylvania Anniversary, Romance & Elope Packages
- Celebrate you next anniversary at the Berry Patch Bed and Breakfast near Hershey,
Pennsylvania. There are six guest
suites, or you may want to splurge on a private cottage with whirlpool tub for
two. Their romantic Pennsylvania Anniversary Package is $99 (in addition to your room rate), and includes a bottle of wine or
sparkling cider, cheese and cracker platter, dozen roses, and a romantic “sprinkling” of rose
petals on the bed. (Update: No longer available as a package, but can be purchased separately for the same price - 115 Moore Road, Lebanon, PA 888-246-8826)
- The historic Yorktowne Hotel has a fun Pennsylvania romantic getaway package in Yorke, PA starting at just $183/night and includes champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and breakfast for two. (48 E. Market St, Yorke, PA 800-233-9324)
- In lovely Bucks County is the Golden Pheasant Inn, a nice little B&B right on the Pennsylvania canal, with a package that includes fireplace, in-room hot tub, and dinner for 2. (763 River Rd, Erwinna, PA 610-294-9882)
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific ratings for romantic accommodation include:
- Amenities: including Whirlpool bath or JACUZZI® Tub, scenic view, fireplace, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families, business travelers, etc)
- Popularity: based on social media & crowd-sourced reviews
- Value: product offered compared to room rate
- Please Note: percentage ratings are not absolute but for comparative use only
√ COVID Safety Plan: identifies hotels and inns that clearly indicate they are taking measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages