A New Jersey Weekend Getaway Guide for Romantic Garden State Travel
FTC: This page uses affiliate links. More.
Romantic Vacations Home
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: June 1, 2020
New Jersey remains one of the top retreats for couples in the Northeast USA. Up and down the famed Jersey Shore, you'll still find miles and miles of clean beaches, boardwalks, resort towns and summer retreats.
Romance and the New Jersey Shore Are Made for Each Other
And inland to the north and in Western New Jersey, historic small towns are ready to offer you a peaceful & secluded escape from the stress of city life.
The Best Time to Visit New Jersey: July and August can be crowded in many resort towns, especially on weekends. That makes May - June and September as the best time to see Cape May, the coast and the rest of New Jersey's top attractions.
For affordability, in high season, weekday travel is probably slightly better for a cheap New Jersey getaway or vacation. You'll find less traffic on the Turnpike as well.
Romantic Getaways in Cape May, NJ
Historic Cape May is the nation’s oldest seashore resort. For honeymoon and weekend getaways, you’ll find many great B&B’s, hotels and romantic restaurants to choose from.
Queen Victoria B&B, Cape May NJ
- Queen Victoria B&B - Located in the center of historic Cape May, the award-winning Queen Victoria B&B resort is just a block from the beach. The beautifully restored 1880s era home offers 35 unique rooms and suites, a generous “safe-serve” breakfast and afternoon tea with pastries. The Queen Victoria maintains the highest standards of cleanliness with all linens bleached at the in-house laundry before use. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Cape May B&B’s: 96% - Excellent. (102 Ocean St, Cape May, NJ 609-884-8702)
Romantic Icona Cape May
- Icona Cape May - This newly renovated beachfront boutique hotel has 56 bright and cozy rooms and a heated outdoor pool. For a truly memorable getaway, consider the Oceanfront Suites. They feature floor-to-ceiling windows, an additional marble bathroom, balcony, and Galley Kitchen with everything needed to cook and eat while taking in the spectacular Atlantic views. 2020 ERV Rating* for Cape May NJ Romantic Hotels: 94% - Excellent. (1101 Beach Ave, Cape May NJ 609-546-5325)
Things for Couples to do in Cape May:
- Food & vineyard tours
- Carriage rides
- Trolley tours through downtown Cape May
- Picnics by the Cape May Lighthouse
The scenic drive from Atlantic City to Cape May is a collection of beaches, boardwalks, places for hikes and romantic picnics. A rather scenic way to travel to Cape May is the ferry from Lewes, Delaware to North Cape May, NJ.
More Romantic Places in New Jersey
Relax in this romantic New Jersey river town full of fun recreation, shopping, galleries, and romantic dining (including some great ethnic restaurants.)
Romantic Woolverton Inn near the Delaware River
- Woolverton Inn - Set amidst 300 acres of farmland and forest, and high above the Delaware River, the romantic Wolverton Inn offers 14 cottages and guest rooms, a 3-course breakfast, free parking and much more. It’s just a short drive from Frenchtown in Stockton NJ and provides the perfect base for exploring this scenic area. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic NJ Inns: 94% - Excellent. (6 Woolverton Rd, Stockton NJ 609-372-5672)
Nestled in the scenic country between NJ and Pennsylvania (and only 70 miles from NYC). Lambertville is a peaceful spot to explore antique shops, check out the flea market on Saturdays, or rent a bike and ride the trails along the Delaware River.
Romantic Lambertville Station Inn Along the Delaware River
- Lambertville Station Inn - Lambertville’s historic train station has been converted into an elegant restaurant and 46 room hotel. It’s conveniently located within walking distance of both Lambertville and New Hope, and on the banks of the Delaware River. All rooms include complimentary internet, breakfast delivered to your door, and morning newspaper. Many feature fireplaces and spectacular river views. Bike rental available on request. 2020 ERV Rating* for Romantic Lambertville NJ Inns: 90% - Excellent. (11 Bridge St, Lambertville NJ 609-362-5224)
Northern New Jersey Weekend Getaway - For a B&B getaway, the Inn at Millrace Pond has a romantic stone cottage with whirlpool tub in the quiet town of Hope, NJ.
You'll find Spring Lake less "touristy" than other NJ beach towns. Attractions here include unique shops, a great boardwalk, and a pristine stretch of beach just east of the village.
Best Place for a Romantic Winter Escape in New Jersey - The two of you can bundle up for fun beachcombing on the shore in Spring Lake. Then warm up with your private fireplace and hot tub in one of the suites at the Breakers Hotel. And in the evening, Harrigan’s Pub (703 Baltimore Blvd, Sea Girt, NJ) is the perfect place for a warm and hearty romantic dinner.
More Romantic Spots on the New Jersey Shore:
- Manasquan - great for young romantics, with good surfing and a thriving nightclub scene.
- Ocean Grove - take a stroll on the pier to admire the excellent beach and classic Victorian buildings.
- Ship Bottom - a great New Jersey weekend getaway on Long Beach Island.
More Romantic NJ & NE USA on Our Site:
New Jersey Romantic Hotels & Inns
Romantic Inns Along the New Jersey Shore:
The Sandpiper Inn - a very romantic New Jersey oceanfront bed and breakfast in Spring Lake, NJ. After relaxing in your hot tub suite, try out the indoor heated pool, or escape to the beach for a moonlight champagne picnic.
Another romantic place to stay in New Jersey along the east coast is the Atlantis Inn, a luxury B&B in Ocean City, NJ. Very romantic rooms with body spa showers for two, fireplace, and your own rooftop deck with ocean views.(601 Atlantic Ave, Ocean City, NJ 609-399-9871)
Romantic Spa Resorts in New Jersey:
- Ocean Place Resort, Long Branch, NJ - this romantic NJ oceanfront resort takes in a nice stretch of private beach on the New Jersey shore between NYC and Atlantic City. Stroll along the oceanfront promenade, enjoy the pools and whirlpool, or indulge in the European spa.
- Crystal Springs Resort - situated in Northern New Jersey in Vernon, NJ. The luxury rooms and suites include fireplaces, and resort amenities include indoor & outdoor heated pools, mineral spa, sports & fitness facilities, and six Golf courses. (Route 94, Vernon, NJ 973-827-5996)
Romantic New Jersey Theme Rooms: Stay at the Summer Nites B&B in North Wildwood, NJ where you both can relive yesteryear in these exotic rooms from the 50's, 60's and 70's.
For More info on a New Jersey Weekend Getaway: