Some Ideas for Arizona Romantic Getaways and Vacations in the U.S. Southwest
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Feb 23, 2017
Wild West flavor, the rugged outdoors, romantic places to stay, and sunny skies all combine to make Arizona a terrific destination for romantic vacations and honeymoons in the Southwest USA.
And the night skies in Southern Arizona are some of the clearest in all of continental USA – perfect for romantic star gazing!
Best Time for Romantic Travel to Arizona - Arizona can get oppressively hot from June to August, but if you don't mind staying in the shade close to the pool, there's some great deals to be had at hotels and resorts during these summer months.
Autumn and Spring are excellent times to go. Northern Arizona & the Grand Canyon can be inaccessible during winter months (snow & ice) so plan accordingly.
The Valley of the Sun is not only a haven for Northern snowbirds escaping harsh winters, but it's a great destination for lovebirds on honeymoons and Arizona romantic getaways of all kinds. Here's a few ideas to help you have a romantic and memorable stay in this part of Southern AZ...
1. Visit Old Town Scottsdale - arts and crafts, souvenirs, restaurants and saloons are just a few of the attractions you'll find in this re-created piece of the Wild West. (4101 N. Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale AZ)
2. Book a Gondola Ride for 2 - at the Hyatt Regency Resort at Gainey Ranch, you can cruise around the resort's waterways while being serenaded by the gondolier on an authentic Italian boat. It's just $10 per person (2015 rates) and available in the evenings. (7500 E. Doubletree Ranch Road, Scottsdale AZ 480-444-1234)
3. Take a Hike in the Desert - the Phoenix/Scottsdale area has numerous areas ideal for short walks through the cactus and desert foliage. The Piestewa Peak Recreation Area (2701 E. Squaw Peak Dr, Phoenix AZ) is one option, and if you're up to a shorter (mile or so) but steeper climb, the Summit Trail will reward you with very nice sunset views at the top.
4. Sample Some Wine at Su Vino Winery - a date night favorite in the Valley, with a good variety of wines to taste along with desert platters and pairings. (7035 East Main St, Scottsdale AZ 480-994-8466)
5. Enjoy a View with your Romantic Dinner - how about a nice dinner with drinks and scenic views of the Valley? A couple possibilities are the Alchemy Restaurant at CopperWynd Resort and Club (13225 N Eagle Ridge Dr, Fountain Hills AZ 480-333-1880) and the Different Pointe of View at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs (11111 North 7th St, Phoenix AZ 602-866-6350).
No mention of Arizona romantic getaways would be complete without Sedona. If you're sick of crowds, crave some solace, and don't mind spending a bit more to get it, this romantic destination in North-Central Arizona is for you. It's also become known as a real spa destination, and Red Rock State Park (just a 10 minute drive from town) with it's unforgettable sunsets gets our vote as one of the best places to propose in Arizona.
Romantic Things to Do in Sedona, AZ – Day in the West Tours (800-973-3662) feature cowboy tours, chuck wagon dinners, jeep rides and more that active couples will love. There’s trolley and stagecoach tours in downtown Sedona, plus shopping galore. For a thirst-quenching break, sample a local beer (and the great views of Sedona) at the Oak Creek Brewery (336 Rte 179, Sedona AZ). Later in the evening, you'll love romantic dining creek side at L'Auberge Restaurant on Oak Creek with it's French-American specialties and Sunday Champagne brunch. (301 L'Auberge La, Sedona AZ 928-282-1661)
Tucson is one of the most interesting Southern Arizona romantic getaways. You can feel the "Old Southwest" a lot closer to the surface here than other destinations in Arizona, and just a few miles out of town are horseback riding, wilderness hikes and one of the best re-created Wild West towns in the West.
Romantic Things to Do in Tucson AZ: You can go star gazing at Kitt Peak National Observatory (call 520-318-8726 for reservations), explore the wild west at Old Tucson (201 S. Kinney Rd), or ride the Old Pueblo Trolley past the shops of historic 4th Avenue. At the romantic Café Poca Cosa restaurant in Tucson you can enjoy award-winning Southern Mexican cuisine and atmosphere. (110 E. Pennington, 520-622-6400)
Romantic Arizona Spa Resort:
Romantic Places to Stay - Grand Canyon, AZ:
Lake Havasu City is a worthwhile stop while vacationing in Southern Arizona. The lake here is home to all kinds of outdoor activities on and beside the water, and the city has some good dining spots as well. Make sure to include some time around the waterfront area underneath London Bridge, with it's shops and attractions. Good to Remember: Spring Break brings many people to Lake Havasu each year in March, so for a quiet getaway, choose another month (like February, which we did).
Bisbee, AZ – a romantic destination in southeastern Arizona, Bisbee offers a step back in time with it’s narrow lanes, Victorian-style galleries and cafes, as well as the Brewery Gulch saloon.
Monument Valley - take a romantic Arizona road trip through this scenic piece of classic Southwest landscape between Arizona & Utah on US Route 163.
Romantic Arizona Train Trips:
Grand Canyon, AZ - a top attraction for Arizona romantic getaways! Stops of interest for couples include the North Rim's Vista Encontada (nice picnic spot) and Lipan Point on the South Rim for it's great views and gorgeous sunsets.
*ERV Rating for Couples: our unique, non-scientific rating formula for romantic hotels which includes: