By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Jun 23, 2021
What's to see & do in the State of Oklahoma for romantic travel in 2022?
Drive part of the old Route 66, see some real-life cowboys and cowgirls, tour one of the many wineries, check out 35 State Parks, or take a swim in one of the gorgeous lakes.
Best Time for a Romantic Oklahoma Vacation - While summers can be a bit warm, spring and autumn are both mild and terrific times to plan a getaway to the state. Winters are a touch cooler, but generally dry. Tornado season stretches from March to August.
Here are some romantic highlights of the Sooner State for your honeymoon or next getaway...
MORE GETAWAYS NEAR OKLAHOMA:
1. Myriad Botanical Gardens - take a stroll together through these beautiful 15-acres in central Oklahoma City. Visit the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory. Take one of several self-guided tours to find water features and sculptures, then finish up with a root beer float at the Ice House restaurant.
2. Wheeler Ferris Wheel - newly opened in summer 2016, the ideal spot for sweethearts to soar high above Oklahoma City. You may recognize it - it's the old Santa Monica Pier Ferris Wheel, now refurbished and right here in OKC!
3. Lake Hefner - you can drive this circle road around OK City, and later on kayak or take a boat tour around the lake, and stay to watch the sunset at the lighthouse on East Wharf.
4. Bricktown Water Taxi - Bricktown is a former warehouse district dating back to 1889 that is now a trendy and thriving entertainment area. Head to the Riverwalk and take a narrated canal cruise, dinner cruise, or just jump on and off for the 40-minute round trip.
5. Mantel Wine Bar & Bistro - this gourmet restaurant gets great marks for it's excellent wine list, romantic ambiance and seafood specials. (201 E Sheridan Ave, Oklahoma City OK 405-236-8040)
Holy City - in Lawton, OK, check out this unusual collection of stone buildings made to look like Israel during Bible times. Or take the grand tour at The Historic Mattie Beale House and wander the beautifully restored rooms.
Tiger Safari Park - in Tuttle, OK (about a 30-minute drive from Oklahoma City), you can take a sunset safari, or even stay in a little hut surrounded by African-style landscaping. In addition to tigers, you will see lemurs, bears, leopards and other wildlife.
1. Gilcrease Museum - visit the themed gardens here, including Pioneer, Colonial, Victorian, and Rock Gardens. Allow at least 45 minutes for a self-guided tour and then go inside for great exhibits of American art and history.
2. Philbrook Museum of Art - have Sunday brunch or go on a Friday night during the summer months and watch a movie on the lawn. This is an old mansion once owned by an oil tycoon that has been converted into an art museum and the grounds are beautiful and well-maintained.
3. Woodward Park - have a picnic lunch in over 40 acres of rolling hills and flowers.
If you are a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright, you can stay in a hotel just an hour from Tulsa that was designed by the famous architect. Even the furniture was designed by him. It’s now a museum and hotel that offers great views of the town of Bartlesville and beyond.
Just outside Bartlesville, on Highway 123, you’ll find the Woolaroc Museum and Nature Preserve. Learn about Oklahoma history and wildlife and take in the tranquility.
Close to the Kansas State border lies the oil-boom city of Ponca. Stop here to see the Marland Estate Mansion and tour the home itself, which was built in the 1920s, as well as the grounds and museum. The estate is a national historic landmark, modeled after the Davanzati Palace in Florence, Italy.
Particularly in the autumn, the Talimena Scenic Byway, in the southeastern part of the state, has magnificent views and fun places to shop along the way.
Oklahoma Route 66 Museum - if your travels take you through Western Oklahoma, be sure to pull over and make a stop at this collection of memorabilia, dedicated to one of the most romantic roadways in America's history.
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific ratings for romantic accommodation include: