a Romantic Getaway in Wisconsin's Best Spots
Romantic Vacations Home
Our Romantic Getaway in Wisconsin Guide for a Great Stay in the Badger State!
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Dec 15, 2019
FTC: This page uses affiliate links. More.
Plan a romantic getaway in the Great Lake state of Wisconsin, and you're in for a "Superior Vacation".
There's a variety of Wisconsin destinations that couples will enjoy, including some romantic places to visit in Door County, the Wisconsin Dells, along Lake Superior's shore, and Milwaukee.
The Best Time to Visit Wisconsin: Summers are short, so the best time to visit Wisconsin in July to September. October is a fine month for seeing the autumn foliage.
Scenic Drives: One of the best Wisconsin scenic roads is Route 33, a scenic drive that takes you through beautiful farm land and several Amish communities in Wisconsin. You’ll find this road in southwest Wisconsin between La Crosse and Reedsburg.
Romantic Getaway in Wisconsin - The Dells
The Dells are one of the biggest tourist attractions in Wisconsin. The natural beauty of the canyons along the Wisconsin River makes a Dells Boat tour worthwhile. Another Wisconsin Dells attraction is Mirror Lake State Park, a fine place for a romantic picnic and relaxing camping spot.
Pool at the Black Hawk Motel & Suites
Wisconsin Dells Spa Tub - Black Hawk Motel
- Black Hawk Motel & Suites - your romantic Wisconsin Dells vacation can cost less than you think with the affordable and romantic Black Hawk Motel. Check out their King Whirlpool suites, as well as their heated pool, complimentary Wi-Fi and parking. What Other Couples Liked: Close to Downtown...Free Waterpark Passes...Comfortable Rooms with A/C. 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic Wisconsin Dells Motel Stays: 96% - Excellent. (720 Race St, Wisconsin Dells, WI 608-254-7770)
- Springhill Suites Wisconsin Dells - this brand new Marriott hotel is a great spot for couples getaways in the Dells. Spacious suites are all-new with Wi-Fi, marble bath and satellite TV, and there's a complimentary hot buffet breakfast each morning. 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic Wisconsin Dells Motel Stays: 94% - Excellent. (461 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy, Wisconsin Dells WI 608-678-2225)
Fireplace in a Romantic Wisconsin Dells Cabin
- Wisconsin Dells Romantic Cabins & Villa Vacation Rentals - If a little more serenity is what you had in mind, check out these cabin, cottage and villa rentals. Many offer amenities like Whirlpools, fireplace and a sauna, and are perfect for a romantic getaway in Southern Wisconsin.
- Romantic Getaway in Wisconsin Dells Resorts - For active couples with kids (or those without but don't mind being around kids!) who also love water, the Dells are home to a number of huge indoor and outdoor water park resorts. There’s the Kalahari Wisconsin Dells Resort, with the largest indoor water park in the U.S. and Treasure Island Wisconsin Dells Resort, just to name two.
Romantic Getaway in NW Wisconsin
- The Rittenhouse Inn and Restaurant offers
romantic Bayfield, WI lodging with stunning views of Lake Superior. Enjoy
staying in one of the spacious guestrooms or private cottage featuring cozy
fireplaces and whirlpool tubs. their highly acclaimed restaurant is perfect for
an intimate dinner for two and offers breakfast, brunch and dinner. 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic Wisconsin Inns: 86% - Very Good. (301 Rittenhouse Ave, Bayfield, WI 800-779-2129)
Did You Know: Two of the Top 10 Most Romantic Cities in the USA are in Wisconsin:
- La Crosse, WI
- Green Bay, WI
But...it's not quite what you might think. RedBox, the DVD rental company, took a survey of rental statistics, and found that the residents of both La Crosse and Green Bay rented more romantic movies per capita than anyone else in the country!
Speaking of movies...
Our Video: Romantic Getaways in Wisconsin
Our HD Video of a Romantic Getaway in Wisconsin will quickly show you several areas in Southern Wisconsin ideal for a romantic weekend or anniversary vacation, including Madison WI, Milwaukee and the wonderful community of Lake Geneva, WI.
More Romantic Places to Stay in the Wisconsin Dells:
- Wisconsin Dells B&B's - the Dells are known as one of Wisconsin's premier romantic bed and breakfast destinations, and are a quiet alternative to hotels and resorts.
- Sundara Inn and Spa - a romantic adult-only Wisconsin destination spa resort that’s getting rave reviews from many.
- Romantic Wisconsin Dells Package at Baker's Sunset Bay Resort - on the shores of Lake Delton WI, the Sunset Bay resort caters to couples on anniversaries or honeymoons with their Ultimate Romance Package: champagne & chocolates, gift certificate for an Italian restaurant, theme park, water park and movie tickets, and 2 nights accommodation in one of their Whirlpool suites.
Door County, WI
Rest, Relaxation, Recreation & Romance - Wisconsin's Door County Has all Four!
Imagine “Cape Cod on the Great Lakes”, and you have Wisconsin Door County!
This compact peninsula northeast of Green Bay is a romantic playground of scenic drives, waterfront villages, picturesque shoreline with lighthouses, and some charming Wisconsin inns and lodges. Great for a relaxing and peaceful romantic getaway in Wisconsin.
- Eagle Harbor Inn - Ephraim is a very attractive Wisconsin Door County honeymoon destination, with its pretty harbor and many gorgeous B&B’s, like this Inn with their whirlpool tubs and Door Country Wine Trail packages.
Lake Geneva, WI Romantic Weekends
A Couple Enjoying the Lakefront Near Flatiron Park in Lake Geneva, WI
Lake Geneva, WI - on a sunny summer day with the boats sailing by, this is a perfect romantic getaway in Wisconsin. Take a stroll lakeside on the Geneva Lakeshore Path past historic waterfront mansions, do some window shopping on Main or Broad St, or just grab an ice cream cone and soak up the atmosphere.
- Baker House 1885 - this romantic inn just across the street from the shore of
Lake Geneva gets plenty of couples arriving to celebrate a honeymoon or
anniversary. No wonder - They not only have in-room hot tubs, but their
showers have been declared the sexiest in the USA! Butler service and exquisite
dining all add up to a truly one-of-a-kind luxury romantic getaway in Southern Wisconsin. 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic Lake Geneva WI Hotels: 96% - Excellent. (327 Wrigley Drive, Lake Geneva, WI 262-248-4700)
Milwaukee Romantic Getaways
A couple of fun things to do in Milwaukee would be the Miller Beer Brewery Tour (free tour and tasting in the beer garden!) and the Milwaukee County Zoo. Also, the Milwaukee Art Museum has works from artists like Picasso, Warhol and O’Keeffe.
Romantic Milwaukee Restaurants: Bartolotta's Lake Park Bistro (3133 E. Newberry Blvd. Milwaukee 414-962-6300) has French Bistro cuisine considered some of the cities finest, and great views of Lake Michigan.
Also rated high for romantic places in Milwaukee to eat are Sanford (1547 N. Jackson St, Milwaukee 414-276-9608) and the Pasta Tree (1503 North Farwell Avenue, Milwaukee 414-276-8867).
Couple Relaxing on the Shore of Lake Monona in Olin Park, Madison WI.
Madison, WI - this medium size city of 240,000 is a worthwhile destination
if you are in or headed to Southern Wisconsin or Northwest Illinois.
One of the best romantic
attractions here is the lakefronts - that's right, plural! Madison has several lakes within it's boundaries, the largest two being Lake Monona and Lake Mendota. We found a nice spot for a picnic in Olin Park, on the western shore of Lake Monona. Plenty of walking and cycling opportunities nearby as well.
If you don't want any grass stains while eating lunch, go upscale a bit and follow John Nolen Dr into the city and look for Monona Terrace (1 John Nolen Dr, Madison, WI). With it's cafes, rooftop terrace and scenic views all around, it's certainly one of downtown Madison's most romantic places for 2.
- Romantic Madison, WI Accommodation at the Speckled Hen Inn - a lovely B&B in the Northeast part of the city that caters to couples getaways, anniversary trips and honeymoons. Features of this inn include jetted and claw foot tubs, farm-fresh breakfasts with local produce, romantic stay packages, and on-site wine sales. (5225 Portage Rd, Madison WI)
Romantic Spots in Southern wisconsin
Beloit WI - funky and gentrified Beloit is a surprising home to more than it's share of art, bookstores and live theatre. You can also walk or hire a couple of bikes or paddle boats and enjoy the Beloit RiverFront.
- The Ironworks Hotel with it's "industrial charm" theme is a top choice for couples, and the luxury suites have 2-sided gas fireplaces, spa-style baths and river views. 2019 ERV Rating* for Romantic Beloit MI Hotels: 88% - Very Good (500 Pleasant St, Beloit WI 608-362-5500)
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific ratings for romantic accommodation include:
- Amenities: including Whirlpool bath or JACUZZI® Tub, scenic view, fireplace, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families, business travelers, etc)
- Popularity: based on social media & crowd-sourced reviews
- Value: product offered compared to room rate
- Please Note: percentage ratings are not absolute but for comparative use only
top hotels, getaways & packages on ERV