The Best Romantic Getaways in Minnesota - Where to Find Them
Romantic Vacations Home
FTC: This page uses affiliate links. More.
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Oct 22, 2018
Minnesota is a great getaway spot for couples, with a mix of natural and man-made attractions to explore, as well as some excellent lodges and B&B accommodation.
Couple Enjoying a Romantic Autumn Carriage Ride Across Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Here's a look at some fun romantic spots in the Twin Cities, plus some other locations in MN for honeymoons and getaways.
Best Time to Visit Minnesota - Late spring, summer and autumn are the best times of the year to really enjoy Minnesota and Minneapolis outdoors (autumn colors can be fantastic!). Minnesota has some of the coldest winters in the lower 48 states, so come well-prepared for ice and snow if you visit between November to April. The good part about winter? Better discounts on hotels and weekend packages.
Minneapolis Romantic Hotels & Packages
Hewing Hotel in Minneapolis
Hot Tub Suite at the Hilton Garden Inn
Affordable Whirlpool Suite:
- Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis/Bloomington - just right for an affordable getaway to the Twin Cities, with hot tub suites and on-site dining, pool and Wi-Fi. Just 20 minutes drive from downtown Minneapolis. 2018 ERV Rating* for Bloomington MN Romantic Hotel Suites: 91% - Excellent. (5140 American Blvd West, Bloomington MN 952-831-1012)
Historic Luxury Boutique Hotel:
- Hewing Hotel - luxuriously restored timber and brick hotel in the North Loop just packed with amenities you'll love, like luxury bedding, fitness center, plus a rooftop bar, sauna and pool. 2018 ERV Rating* for Twin Cities Romantic Hotel Rooms: 90% - Excellent. (300 Washington Ave North, Minneapolis MN 651-468-0400)
More Twin Cities Romantic Accommodation:
- The Marquette Hotel - gorgeous rooms here have sweeping panoramic views of downtown Minneapolis, there's on-site dining, and rates start at just $159/night. 2018 ERV Rating* for Romantic Minneapolis Hotels: 86% - Very Good. (710 Marquette Ave, Minneapolis, MN 612-333-4545)
- Saint Paul Hotel - elegant and historic, and perfect for a Minneapolis honeymoon, where the perks include "Minnesota’s best sleep and shower
experience". 2018 ERV Rating* for Romantic St Paul MN Hotels: 90% - Excellent (350 Market St, St. Paul, MN 800-292-9292)
Packages, Deals & More:
Minneapolis/St.Paul Getaways - What To Do
Minnehaha Falls on a Brilliant Autumn Day
Dakota Club, Minneapolis - Steven Page Trio
getaways in Minnesota begin in Minneapolis/St.Paul, home to historic neighborhoods, parks, over 20 lakes, and a vibrant
theater and live performance scene...
- Minehaha Park & Falls - beautiful urban falls surrounded by attractive trails, all set in a tranquil park just minutes from downtown Minneapolis.
- Live Music & Dinner Clubs - Minneapolis has a good selection of places to enjoy dinner & drinks along with live music. We enjoyed an evening at the Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant (1010 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis) recently for dinner and a fine show by the Steven Page Trio.
- St. Anthony Falls Heritage Trail - a 2 mile path accessible from downtown
Minneapolis with scenic views of the falls and the Mississippi River from Stone Arch Bridge.
Kramarczuk Deli in Minneapolis
View of Minneapolis Across Lake Calhoun
- Bde Maka Ska (aka Lake Calhoun) - a great spot in Minneapolis for a romantic walk around the lakefront for some fresh air, an ice-cream cone and views of the city.
- Ethnic Eateries - Minneapolis has some great ethnic eateries - Middle Eastern, Asian, African and European just to name a few. Check out one of the most well know, Kramarczuk's Deli (215 East Hennepin, Minneapolis) for some hearty Ukrainian and Polish meals and baked goods.
- Fort Snelling State Park - a 15-minute drive to swimming, picnicking, hiking, boating and canoeing adventures.
- Nicollet Island - attractive 1800's-era village. Horse-drawn carriage tours are a fun way to explore the brick streets and lanes.
- Romantic Winter Activities in Minneapolis-St.Paul - get out of the cold and inside the gigantic Mall of America, and catch a movie or ride the roller coaster. In the afternoon or evening, lace up some blades and take to the ice hand-in-hand at The Depot, a renovated train depot now complete with a skating rink, indoor water park and 2 hotels. (225 Third Ave South, Minneapolis)
Dining for 2:
- Moscow on the Hill - start with a vodka martini, and then delve into the hearty, delicious Russian offerings of lamb and beef kabobs, borscht and beet salad. The outdoor patio and accordion player add to the wonderful atmosphere. (371 Selby Ave, St Paul MN 651-291-1236)
- Barbette - French cuisine by candlelight here, although you'll find the ambience here romantic but relaxed. Gluten-free and vegetarian items are available. (1600 W Lake St, Minneapolis MN 612-827-5710)
Minnesota Romantic Lodge - Lutsen Resort
Romantic Getaway on Lake Superior
Lutsen Resort Accommodations
- Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior - talk about romantic! Immerse yourselves in peaceful seclusion at this Northeastern Minnesota romantic lodge on the shores of Lake Superior. The Lutsen Resort gives you the choice of lodge, cabin and villa accommodations, with hot tubs, fireplaces and private decks. For activities, there's the resort's pool and games room, bike rentals nearby, guided hikes, golf and spa treatments. A fantastic wilderness honeymoon or couples getaway in Northeastern
Minnesota! 2018 ERV Rating* for Romantic Minnesota Lodging: 80% - Very Good (5700 West Hwy 61, Lutsen MN 800-258-8736)
Minnesota Romance & Anniversary Packages
AG Thompson House in Duluth, Minnesota is a Dutch Colonial Bed and Breakfast that dates back to 1909. It's located in a beautiful, quiet
neighborhood close to many attractions, and only seven blocks from the shores of
The main house has four unique rooms, with another three more in the carriage home. Each has a fireplace, soaker tub or claw foot bath with rain shower, and many have spectacular lake views.
Several romantic packages are available, but the anniversary package adds only $80 to the cost of your room and allows you to celebrate in style. You get a bouquet of fresh, seasonal flowers, gourmet dessert truffles, keep-sake wine glasses and a bottle of white wine or non-alcoholic beverage. Have breakfast delivered to your room if you prefer your privacy to the dining area. (1-877-807-8077)
- Honeymoon & Romantic Packages in Minnesota - for honeymoons, anniversaries and special romantic getaways in Minnesota that call for a celebration, the Gunflint Lodge has luxury cabins in a secluded Northern Minnesota lakefront setting. Their honeymoon and romance packages comes complete with wine & appetizers, gourmet meals, and a wide selection of adventure activities and tours to choose from.
More Fun Romantic Getaways in Minnesota
Couple Enjoying a Romantic Autumn Afternoon at Lake Calhoun, Minneapolis MN
- Duluth - set
in a prime location on the Lake Superior shore, Duluth is a fine place for ship
spotting, taking a lake cruise, or enjoying the shops and eateries along the
Canal Park waterfront. And it's just 3 hrs from Minneapolis, perfect for a weekend getaway in a romantic Duluth hotel or B&B.
- Scenic Drives - Northeast of
Duluth, follow Hwy 61 for waterfalls, scenic outlooks and state parks. It's
also a great route for spectacular fall foliage in Minnesota. Southeast of the Twin Cities,
U.S. 61 is part of the Great River Road National Scenic Byway. Between historic
Red Wing, MN and La Crosse, WI, you'll find wonderful river valley landscapes
and small towns all along the Mississippi.
Romantic Trip Ideas - ExploreMinnesota.com:
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific ratings for romantic accommodation include:
- Amenities: including Whirlpool bath or JACUZZI® Tub, scenic view, fireplace, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families, business travelers, etc)
- Popularity: based on social media & crowd-sourced reviews
- Value: product offered compared to room rate
- Please Note: percentage ratings are not absolute but for comparative use only
√ COVID Safety Plan: identifies hotels and inns that clearly indicate they are taking measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages