Romantic Breaks Around Britain - Great Getaways for a Weekend or More
Romantic Vacations Home
Exotic Romantic Vacations
By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Posted: Apr 29, 2017
No matter if you're getting away from London or to London, here's some ideas for romantic getaways in England and Wales...
Romantic Weekends in London
Champagne Up High on the London Eye
London at Night
There’s a never-ending list of interesting things to in this city, so to get the best of the romantic highlights, here's a couple tips: Try the Champagne Experience on the London Eye (there was a marriage proposal in our capsule!) and the historic Thames River Cruise. If those views aren’t enough for you, sip a cocktail from the Skylounge rooftop bar as you look out over St Paul’s Cathedral, Tower of London and the Shard from 12 stories above the city.
Affordable London Holiday Rental
Lounge with TV and Small Balcony
Airbnb London Apartment - Bedroom
- Romantic London Airbnb Holiday Flat - for less than $200 USD/night, you can enjoy an excellent level of comfort and convenience in this attractive 2 bedroom/2 bathroom Holiday flat in Central London. Owner Rachael is an Airbnb Superhost, so you're in good hands. There's a couple of tube stations within a 10 minute walk, and Whitecross Food Stalls and Restaurants are only a 90 seconds by foot around the corner. What Other Guests Said: "Safe, Clean, Comfortable with Good Wi-Fi"..."Roomy, with Updated Furniture"..."Apartment had everything we needed, and Rachael was easy to contact". (70-72 Old Street, London UK)
Perfectly Preserved and Peaceful - Costwold Village of Castle Combe, Wiltshire UK
These quintessentially “quaint” villages with thatched roofs and romantic B&Bs date back many centuries. Tour the ancient Roman baths, and take in the sights of the town where Jane Austen lived and wrote. If time permits, treat yourselves to a day at one of the well-known thermal spas. Bibury, Lower Slaughter and Bourton-On-The-Water are among the most picturesque, and Castle Combe is known as “The prettiest village in England.”
Romantic Cotswolds Inn:
The Castle Inn, Castle Combe
Room at the Castle Inn
- The Castle Inn - you’ll find a perfect melding of history, romance and comfort in this 800+ yr old inn. Highlights: 4 Poster Beds, soaker tubs (ours even had a Whirlpool!) and full cooked breakfast, all in an unbelievably beautiful and tranquil setting. What Other Couples Liked: Lovely Bedrooms with Wooden Beamed Ceilings…Delicious Cream Teas…Restful Inn with Great Character. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic Cotswolds Inns: 87% - Very Good (Castle Combe, Wiltshire UK 1249 783030)
Romantic Breaks in the Midlands
Romantic Midlands Inn - Old White Hart
JACUZZI® Tub at the Old White Hart Inn
- The Old White Hart at Lyddington - loved every minute of our stay in this super-romantic Midlands country inn. Book their “Bede Superior Room”, a lovely suite with a spiral staircase leading to a 2-person JACUZZI® tub upstairs. What Other Couples Liked: Outstanding Inn with a Country Pub…Located in a Beautiful Village…Wonderful Evening Meals. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic Midlands UK Country Inns: 88% - Very Good (51 Main St, Lyddington, Oakham Rutland UK 01572 821703)
Disclaimer: JACUZZI® is a registered
trademark owned by Jacuzzi Inc. The use of the JACUZZI® trademark on this
website is for informational purposes only. There is no relationship,
connection or affiliation between this website and Jacuzzi Inc. or its related
companies. As hotel rooms and amenities can change, please check with
each individual accommodation property before making travel plans to ensure that the hotel room you have booked includes an authentic JACUZZI® brand hot tub.
Stratford-Upon-Avon: Medieval market town and of course, 16th century birthplace of William Shakespeare. Follow the crowds to the restored home where he was born and spent his childhood, or catch a Royal Shakespeare Company performance at the theatre on the banks of the river Avon.
If you’re near Warwick, be sure to tour the medieval castle built by William the Conqueror and its surrounding gardens and woodland.
Wales: Snowdonia, Hay-On-Wye
Royal Oak Hotel in North Wales
Hay-on Wye B&B: Rest for the Tired
- Royal Oak Hotel - this regal-looking hotel on the A5 is a perfect base for exploring Snowdonia National Park. What Other Couples Liked: Comfortable and Relaxing Ambience...Good Beers and Food at the Stables Bar Bistro...Romantic Mini Break, Everything Within Walking Distance. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic Hotels in North Wales: 81% - Very Good (Holyhead Rd, Betws-y-Coed, Wales 01690 710219)
- Rest for the Tired - For lovers and book lovers, what more perfect spot to stay than a cozy B&B tucked into the attic above a village bookstore! What Other Couples Liked: Charming Hosts…Typical Quirky, Quaint English Cottage…Delightful B&B in a Brilliant Location. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic B&B's in Southeast Wales: 97% - Excellent. (6 Broad St, Hay-on-Wye, UK 01497 820550)
North Wales: More verdant and beautiful than one can even imagine, this is a truly romantic place with a culture and language all its own. Take a train to what is called “The Rooftop of Wales” on the Snowdon Mountain Railway. Explore the slate mining town of Blaenau Ffestiniog, and don’t miss Conwy Castle and the beautiful village of Betys-Y-Coed.
Hay-On-Wye: Just into the Wales side of the Wales/England border is this small market town of used book stores. Even the churchyard is filled with shelves of old books under a small wooden canopy. Walk the winding streets, duck in for tea and scones, or lose yourself in books galore.
Exploring the Yorkshire Dales
Romantic Room at the Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
- Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa - fill your romantic break in Britain with afternoon tea, spa treatments, fine dining and gorgeous views of the Yorkshire Dales. What Other Couples Liked: Honeymoon Suite with a Four Poster Bed...Lovely Romantic Break in the Dales...Wonderful Location, Great Food and a Comfy Bed. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic Yorkshire Dales Hotels: 84% - Very Good (Bolton Abbey, Skipton, North Yorkshire UK 1756 718111)
Perhaps best known as the home of the vet James Harriott and his famous books, the beauty of this part of upland northern England is unparalleled. Each broad valley (dale) is unique but all are dotted with stone fences, grazing sheep and green fields. Check out local markets at villages like Skipton, Hawes or Richmond and be sure to take a romantic walk or visit a cozy pub.
Romantic Breaks Around Britain - Lake District
Exploring the Lake District from the Water
Our Vacation Rental Near Lake Windermere
- Lake District Vacation Rentals - we reserved 5 nights in our very own vacation flat just a few minutes drive from Lake Windermere. All the comforts of home (full kitchen & dining area, comfortable lounge/living room, satellite flat-screen TV), and a great little on-site pub just a 3 minute walk from the flat.
A visit here illustrates why its poets were so inspired. Wordsworth’s Dove Cottage and surrounding area are truly romantic, and be sure to spend some time on Lake Windermere. Even if you’re not a big fan, author Beatrix Potter’s Hilltop Farm is an idyllic location.
*ERV Rating for Couples: our unique, non-scientific rating formula for romantic hotels which includes:
- Romantic Amenities: such as an in-suite JACUZZI® tub or Whirlpool bath, scenic view, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families with kids, business travelers, etc)
with Couples & Honeymooners: based on variety of social media & crowd-sourced reviews.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages