Search our Travel Articles for Romantic Vacation Ideas & Tips on Trip Planning
Romantic Vacations Home › Vacation Ideas
Got some vacation time with your loved one, but don't know where to go? Or perhaps there's a special occasion coming up, like an anniversary, that deserves a unique escape.
We've "brainstormed" with other travelling couples to create this original collection of our own travel research on romantic vacation ideas and things to do around in the USA and Canada. Keep checking back for more places and holiday ideas. Enjoy!
1. Romance & Travel Doesn't Have to Include Cities - rather than being locked into a mindset of big hotels in big cities downtown, explore a romantic getaway based on experiencing something new that's natural. We're talking something like a spectacular waterfall, the Northern Lights, a National Park, or a waterfront area that's relatively uncrowded, like coastal Oregon or Northern California. Or...
2. Take an Offbeat Romantic Trip - you could fly off somewhere totally unique for weekend or 5 to 6 days. Two suggestions: packages to Iceland are popular from NYC, or how about some French flavor in Canada (not Quebec, although it's very good): St. Pierre & Miquelon, the pair of Islands owned by France near the coast of Newfoundland.
3. Cruise Without the Crowds - try a cruise the way it used to be - without 3,000 people! Trips like cruising on a barge in Europe, an Antarctic cruise, or a smaller, unique cruise line like Windjammer Cruises can help put some excitement and romance back into an ocean voyage.
4. Stay in a Small Town - we can think of several very attractive small towns we've visited in the last few years that are great destinations in themselves. Places like Healdsburg, CA, Galena, IL or Fredericksburg, TX.
5. Drive Instead of Flying - stick a little closer to home, take a scenic road trip, and spend some of the airfare you saved on one or two very nice luxury inns or hotels.
Quiet & Relaxing Romantic Getaways - 5 peaceful destinations completely away from noise and bustle, where you'll find clean air, calmness and romantic accommodation.
A Guide to Anniversary Vacation Ideas - anniversary vacations, hotel and B&B packages and travel ideas to celebrate your marriage in a very special way.
Theme Rooms in Hotels & Inns - no longer cheap and tacky, these upscale hotels have some pretty cool theme rooms and suites. Explore them a more here.
Romantic Babymoons - ice cream and pickles, relaxing massages and more. Before the baby arrives, treat yourself to a custom-made getaway for expecting couples.
Secretly Plan a Fun & Romantic Surprise Vacation - ideas and tips for your surprise romantic getaway, engagement or anniversary trip.
Elope in Las Vegas - from the top hotels on the Strip to Elvis-inspired nuptials, we show you packages and themes unique to this wedding capital. Check out prices and regulations here too.
Wilderness Vacations: our special selection of 20 romantic wilderness lodges and resorts in the U.S.
6. Wine Regions - wine and food combine for great romantic vacation ideas and itineraries. And usually, vineyards attract some pretty cool inns and resorts. We don't just mean the obvious (Napa & Sonoma in California), but there's other smaller but no less inviting wine regions in the USA to explore. Areas like Oregon's Willamette Valley, Texas Hill Country Wine Trail or Southeast Virginia.
One of the Best Romantic Vacation Ideas on the West Coast: The Ferry from Vancouver to Victoria, BC Canada
7. Fantastic Ferry Rides - you don't have to be on an expensive cruise to see some amazing sights together on the water. In fact, there are a number of ferry routes in the U.S and Canada that , and they vary in price anywhere from free to $20. Our favorite romantic ferry rides would include: Staten Island Ferry in NYC, San Francisco to Sausalito, CA, Vancouver to Victoria, BC, and Seattle to Bainbridge Island, WA.
8. Rely on Little Italy - stuck for a romantic place to eat in a city? Usually, there's always a romantic Italian restaurant you can rely on, and in many cases, they're in the nearest Italian part of town. Some Little Italys we're fond of include those in Chicago, Baltimore, San Diego and Boston.
9. Drive In Theaters - amazing, but many people under 50 have never been to a drive in movie in their life. This was the original theater under the stars, but if you want to sample what made these such a romantic attraction, you'll have to be quick because they are disappearing fast. We found a guide to the few remaining ones left and operating at driveinmovie.com.