Romantic Toronto Getaways & Hotels for Couples
Romantic Vacations Home
Toronto Islands - a Fun Romantic Getaway in the Toronto Area
By Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Dec 1, 2017
Here’s some ideas for romantic weekend getaways in Toronto. We love “T.O.”, and exploring Southern Ontario...
As the largest city in Canada, Toronto’s got a terrific choice of romantic spots, fun activities for couples, and some great restaurants.
This section includes information on romantic hotels in Toronto and the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), honeymoon and romance packages, as well as what to do on weekend getaways in Toronto and near the city in places like Niagara-on-the-Lake and London, ON.
The Best Time to Visit Toronto: that would be between the warm months of May and September. Autumn brings cooler temps, but also some brilliant fall colors throughout much of the GTA and Southern Ontario.
5 Romantic Hotels in Toronto:
Romantic Room at the Old Mill Hotel, Toronto
Toronto's Boutique Hotel Le Germain
- Old Mill Hotel Toronto - let's start with what many couples rate as the most romantic place to stay in Toronto. This luxury inn (true to it's name - an old completely restored mill) is located close to the downtown and just steps to the subway, but is well insulated from the city in a secluded spot right next to the Humber River and it's walking trails. The Old Mill's rooms all include fireplaces and very quiet jetted tubs, and the on-site jazz bar, flower shop, dining room and spa give it an almost all-inclusive resort feel (the side-by-side Swedish massage package looks very tempting!). 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic Toronto Hotels: 92% - Excellent. (21 Old Mill Rd, Toronto, ON 866-653-6455)
- Hotel Le Germain - romantic Toronto getaways are easy in this "chic boutique" hotel. The amenities are best described as a mix of ultra-modern, romance and business, with BOSE sound systems, Nespresso in-room coffee, ergonomic chairs, plush robes and rainfall showers. You can book elite extras to make your stay as romantic as you want: floating candles, scattered rose petals, a gourmet romantic picnic basket for your room, or a wine pairings dinner. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic Toronto Getaways: 93% - Excellent.(30 Mercer St, Toronto, ON 866-345-9501)
Romantic & Unique Gladstone Hotel
Historic Omni King Edward Hotel, Toronto
- Gladstone Hotel - if you love the indie art scene and hate cookie-cutter hotel rooms, Toronto's Gladstone Hotel is just for you. This romantic art hotel's 37 rooms are individually themed and and cutting edge examples of alt design by local Canadian artists (their pitch: they put the "Art in Heart"). More highlights: tablet computers with complimentary WiFi, natural bath products, and free bike rental. One interesting special: select bottles of wine are 50% off on Tuesdays. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic Toronto Hotels: 88% - Very Good.(1214 Queen St West, Toronto, ON 416-531-4635)
- Omni King Edward Hotel - this luxury property has seen some famous guests in it's 100+ year history, and the Omni is also a favorite for romantic travel. Smack dab in the middle of downtown, with a exquisite lobby, spa, Sunday brunch and Afternoon Tea. If you're combing a car-free romantic trip to downtown Toronto with a sporting event, live theater or shopping, a reservation at the Omni makes perfect sense. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic Toronto Hotels: 90% - Excellent.(73 King St East, Toronto, ON 416-863-9700)
- Fairmont Royal York - believe it or not, we found that the Fairmont currently offers some of the cheapest weekend rates for romantic stays in major Toronto hotels. It could be because of some renovation work being done on the exterior, so if you don't mind a bit of daytime noise and/or somewhat obstructed views, you can check into this historic and luxurious hotel for a very affordable rate. 2017 ERV Rating* for Romantic Toronto Hotels: 86% - Very Good. (100 Front St W, Toronto, ON 866-540-4489)
10 Romantic Things to Do in Toronto:
1. Take the Ferry to Toronto Islands – this car-free chain of islands off the downtown waterfront offer Tram tours, bike and boat rentals, scenic views of the city, and some of the most romantic picnic spots in Toronto. And all just a 15 minute ferry ride away.
2. Explore Kensington Market– fascinating mix of eclectic shops, fruit and vegetable stands (great fun on a Pedestrian Sunday, held on selected weekends in the summer). THE place for finding some gourmet cheese, rolls and wine for your summertime picnic.
Sunny Summer Getaway On Toronto Islands
3. Enjoy A Night on The Town in Little Italy – soak up the potpourri of delicious aromas and live music as you sip a cappuccino from one of the areas restaurants or coffee bars.
4. Check out the Drake Hotel - most hotels are lucky to have 1 romantic dining area. The Drake has several! The Sky Lounge is a great spot for rooftop eats along with gazing at the stars at night (stargazing in downtown Toronto - really???).
5. Spend a Late Afternoon in the Distillery District – Toronto’s answer to SoHo in NYC is worth exploring in downtown Toronto. Take a walk through this National Historic Site’s galleries and trendy shops before sampling one of the romantic places to eat, such as Archeo (Building 45, Boiler House Complex 416-815-9898)
6. Ride the Pedal Boats at Ontario Place – a chance to be a kid again! Especially fun on a on a nice summer day on Lake Ontario. There’s an IMAX theatre and Soak City Water park too.
7. Walk Around Cabbagetown – we enjoyed a relaxing and interesting walking tour here admiring the history and restored Victorian homes of this heritage area.
8. Head Down to Harbourfront Centre- exhibits, entertainment, boat rentals, ethnic eating, and each summer, there's outdoor dancing to live music (and lessons!) near the waterfront. (235 Queens Quay West)
9. Go Shopping at Honest Ed's - really, no trip to Toronto is complete without a stop at this ginormous emporium of one-of-a-kind knick knacks. A couple tips: a) hurry, as we've read that the property's been sold, and who knows what the new owners will do, and b) stay close to each other - you can get lost easily here! (581 Bloor St West)
10. Karaoke Time on Bloor St West - the home of Toronto's Korean Community (between Christie & Bathurst Streets) is the GTA's hq for Bulgogi Beef and trying your skill at a Michael Buble or Beyonce tune...
Romantic Toronto Getaways - Deals & Discounts
Toronto Air & Hotel Packages, Romantic Rooms for Less, Restaurants, Spas and more.
Toronto Romance & Honeymoon Packages
As we do with major cities that we cover, here some of the best romantic hotel packages in Toronto & area - romance offerings in both the expensive and cheaper categories that are more than just the room and a bottle of wine:
- Monte Carlo Markham Romance Packages - they actually have 3 packages, but we'd say your honeymoon anniversary in Toronto deserves the full treatment: their "Romantic Dinner & Hot Tub Suite" package that includes, besides the obvious, wine and appetizers, strawberries & cream, breakfast the following morning and a late check out.
- Fairmont Royal York Romance - arrival gifts include sparkling wine & chocolates, "Love" (a deluxe coffee table book of romantic photography), breakfast in bed and late check out.
See More Romantic Ontario Travel on ERV:
Romantic Toronto B&B's:
- Suite Dreams Romantic Toronto B&B - other romantic travellers say it best: "Made our stay in Toronto the best"..."Mr.Tan is a terrific host"..."Warm and welcoming"..."Cathedral Suite big, clean and comfortable". On a quiet street just 1/2 block away from Bloor St and within walking distance to Kensington Market. 2017 Rating* for Romantic B&B's in Toronto: 100% - Excellent. (390 Clinton St, Toronto, ON 416-538-0417)
- The Banting House - this romantic and affordable B&B enjoys a quiet but central downtown Toronto location (walking distance from trolley cars, entertainment and dining). Charming, spotless and run by friendly hosts, readers reviews call it superb for couples - an "amazing honeymoon". 2017 Rating* for Romantic Bed and Breakfast's in Toronto: 98% - Excellent. (73 Homewood Ave, Toronto, ON 800-823-8856)
More Romantic Places for Couples in Toronto
More spots for romantic Toronto getaways could include:
- Casa Loma Castle - An enchanted castle set amidst 5 acres of manicured gardens. Don't miss the memorable views from the top of the stairs in the tower. The landscape and setting of this estate are beautiful, and a popular location for weddings in Toronto.
- Top of the CN Tower – This landmark has the reputation for being the best place to propose in Toronto! Certainly one of the most romantic and best views of the city. Besides the observation level, you’ll find the only revolving restaurant in Toronto, 360.
- The Roof Lounge at the Park Hyatt Hotel - Stop by the 18th floor of the Hyatt for a drink in the evening, and you'll be treated to a very romantic panorama of the sun setting on the twinkling lights of the city below. The oversized fireplace adds to the intimate atmosphere.
Toronto's Romantic Restaurants
Scaramouche - Continental and French cuisine prepared by some of the cities top chefs. Great views of Toronto's skyline. (1 Benvenuto Place, Toronto, ON 416-961-8011)
Kalendar Restaurant and Bistro - This cozy place tucked away in Little Italy is a great option for a cheap romantic dinner. (546 College Street, Toronto, ON 416-923-4138)
Romantic Dinner Cruise in Toronto - Mariposa Cruises (416-203-0178) have regular Toronto Harbourfront dinner cruises, with special theme nights, fireworks cruises, and private charters available.
Day Trip to Stratford - picturesque Stratford, Ontario is a fitting tribute to its counterpart in England. You'll discover Victorian architecture, the beautiful Avon River and it's swans, and Botanical Gardens that look like they were taken right from the English countryside.
Day Trip to Niagara Falls/Niagara-on-the-Lake - there is much that couples can see and experience on the Niagara Peninsula. If the summertime crowds at the Falls are too much, escape to romantic Niagara-on-the-Lake, with it's wide choice of bed and breakfast accommodation, wine tours, dining options and just good ol' relaxing by Lake Ontario.
Distance to Toronto from:
- Niagara Falls: 145 km (90 miles)
- Niagara-on-the-Lake: 135 km (84 miles)
- Stratford, ON: 145 km (90 miles)
*ERV Rating for Couples: our unique rating formula for romantic hotels which includes:
- Romantic Amenities: such as an in-suite JACUZZI® tub or Whirlpool bath, scenic view, lounge, etc
- Location: proximity of hotel to restaurants, pubs, downtown, etc
- Clientele: demographic the hotel
attracts (couples, families with kids, business travelers, etc)
with Couples & Honeymooners: based on variety of social media & crowd-sourced reviews.
Excellent Romantic Vacations - Top Pages