By: Greg Mattson, ERV Editor - Updated: Aug 2, 2022
Wondering where to find heat & sunshine on your vacation in January 2023?
Our list of the best January vacation spots includes a one of our favorite cities in the Southwest, and a couple of very warm and exotic overseas locations.
Disclaimer: JACUZZI® is a registered trademark owned by Jacuzzi Inc. The use of the JACUZZI® trademark on this website is for informational purposes only. There is no relationship, connection or affiliation between this website and Jacuzzi Inc. or its related companies. Rates shown are approximate only. Hotel rooms, jetted tubs and amenities can change, and may not be exactly as shown, so please contact the hotel or inn before making travel plans.
"The DR" boasts fantastic soft-sand (especially Punta Cana) and is easily one of the best beach vacations in January. And of course, January weather in the Dominican Republic is full of sun and heat...
From North America and Europe, the Caribbean is pretty much a guaranteed January vacation hot spot. The warmest islands will generally be those in the southeast, like Barbados, St Lucia, Aruba and Trinidad. These are your best bets if you want heat and the beach. The rest of the Caribbean will still be of course dependably warm. For deals, have a look at Aruba - $723 3 nights Air & Hotel.
Here's a look at January weather and temperatures in several destinations:
Warm Beach Holiday Spots in Mexico - Temps & Crowds to Expect in January:
1. Acapulco - average daytime high temp: 88 F. Xmas & New Years Holidayers have gone home, so January's a very good time to book a getaway to Acapulco.
2. Cancun & Mayan Riviera - average daytime high temp: 81 F. Good time to be in the Yucatan and Cozumel. Feb to April is busier with Spring break crowds, etc.
3. Mazatlan - average daytime high temp: 81 F. Crowds lately have not been a problem here as tourism seems to be in somewhat of a low point.
4. Puerto Vallarta/Nuevo Vallarta - average daytime high temp: 84 F. Mid-January tends to be a little less crowded than earlier or later in the month.
5. Cabo San Lucas - average daytime high temp: 73 F. Cabo can be busy in January, although February at the resorts is usually more packed with people.
Thinking of the USA this January, but looking for sand and warmth? Let's face it: in the middle of winter, a warm beach vacation in January in the U.S. is not guaranteed. Even the hottest places can be fickle weather-wise, and last January we felt the wrath of a Northern cold front that sent cold temperatures as far south as Orlando, FL! But, having said that...
Florida remains our no.1 choice for a warm January beach getaway in America. And we have 3 recommendations for exactly where to holiday in the first 31 days of the year:
Central Texas gets some very pleasant weather in January, with cool nights, warm days and little rain. It's perfect for exploring all the charms of the state capital, Austin. The city has a nice mix of history, hiking trails, nightlife, and boutique hotels.
Some favorite things to do in Austin, Texas for couples: romantic dining in a Tex Mex restaurant, checking out some country music, and window shopping along South Congress Ave.
Overall, Austin is a fun winter destination, and for those on a budget, an affordable January vacation.
*ERV Rating: our unique, non-scientific ratings for romantic accommodation include:
√ COVID Safety Plan: identifies hotels and inns that clearly indicate they are taking measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.